Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50 Empty
PostSubject: Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50   Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 2:49 pm

This is my attempt at Lowers and Hand Guards

Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50 2012-04-06143441
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50   Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 5:28 pm

Sure look like those lowers would be doing a really good job Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50 3498837457
Have you noticed much difference Alfie?
Do you have the lowers perpendicular to the forks or angled back slightly?

With regards to the hand guards I have been wondering about shape and contemplated several things of which I think trial and error only will probably tell. Although Your input on how your guards are reacting would be great.
1st what shape would give the best deflection of wind? I wonder if angling it so the wind gets pushed to the side is the best way? The reason I am wondering this is because the wind has further to travel so would probably spill over the top anyway, although having the direct impact of the wind taken away from the hands should be dramatic in colder weather all the same! I was wondering if it would be better if the guards were the same size but shaped to curve over and under the hand, giving a tubular effect?
2nd I was wondering if it would be possible to gently heat the plexi glass over an extended period to allow it to curve both around your hand but also then slightly side to side without it buckling by making a wooden shaped jig for the plexi glass to fall into as it heats up.got
Maybe I'm over thinking this because I want to get on with it but don't have time at the moment but also because I know you are also one to try something just to see.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50   Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 5:50 pm

Have not been on a long enough run yet Dave to try the lowers out,I have at the moment set them with the flow of the forks(easy to tweek if ness)The hand guards, good idea making a jig of some kind I found by mistake that even though I used 6mm plexi placing them in hot water to take the protective cling film off started to warp them pretty fast.I used this to my advantage by putting a curve in from side to side,I have had them on for a week or so now and do find them ok,but I have some left over which I shall be experimenting with ie: different shapes,they look fairly big but to clear your gloves they have to be,you could always use chrome trim the u shape stuff they use on car doors to dress them up but I have found basicly the biggest I have found is 6mm which will fit 4mm down.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50   Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 6:32 pm

You really have done a great job alfie Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50 3498837457

On a side note I would like to add that I always enjoy reading any mods that in particular you or dave or john or farmboy have either done or had any input into because the engineer in you all comes out. Not that I am taking anything away from anyone else its just that you guys are prolific

Keep up the good work guys and thanks for consistantly coming up with something new Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50 881924
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50   Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 8:23 pm

Kind words Crash Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50 3498837457
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50   Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 9:25 pm

Cheers CC always nice to be nice.Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50 996187811
Back to top Go down
Farmboy

PostSubject: Re: Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50   Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 11:11 am

thanx Crash, very nice of you.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50   Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 9:15 am

Alfie I am having trouble making a bracket that is smooth flowing with no right angles for my hand guards, the main reason is getting two identical ones that mirror each other. So I have given up on that Idea and will make some similar to how you made yours. What thickness have you used for your brackets and did you pick the metal up at a DIY store are you still happy with the brackets and thickness of the metal? (looks like it is well up to the job)
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50   Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 2:53 pm

Hi Dave just out and measured the bracket it is 5mm thick, must admit like most of my prototypes it was a length os scap that I came across and thought I will have a job for this.It is well up for the job and does not bounce around at all.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50   Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 3:07 pm

Cheers for that Alfie, I have since writing last been out and tried something else out of desperation to crack on and made a bracket out of the plastic. We will have to see how it holds up but it seems to be fine at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50   Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lowers and Hand Guards Fitted M50
Page 1 of 1