Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Pipes for me on C50T

Go down 
+4
alfie92
Bunso Steel
captain crash
ozrider
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ozrider
ozrider

New Pipes for me on C50T Empty
PostSubject: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 10:05 am

Finally got all the gremlins sorted and got the new pipes fitted, look and sound great.

The only concern is that due to the larger diameter of the pipes the rear side cover is now pretty close to the heatsheild on the pie, it's not touching but close.

Anyone had any issues with their aftermarket pipes melting anything?
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 11:08 am

What pipes have you put on?
Back to top Go down
Bunso Steel
Valued Member
Bunso Steel

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 2:15 pm

I have fitted wider diameter pipes too. The only thing they have melted so far is my textile trousers. One of the plastic panels comes quite close to the exhaust now, but it has silver heat resistant tape under it and I haven't noticed any heat damage
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 2:38 pm

I agree with you on the tape Joe mine has the silver heat tape on and up to now no burns or melting.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 8:26 pm

ozrider wrote:
Anyone had any issues with their aftermarket pipes melting anything?

New Pipes for me on C50T DSCN2533

After this left a lot of rubber on my aftermarkets I have been a bit more careful! Actually I noticed yesterday that the Intruder's fan comes on often in town traffic and I can really feel the heat on my leg - perhaps my short pipes increase the engine temp a bit!
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 9:07 pm

Bluesman wrote:
perhaps my short pipes increase the engine temp a bit!
If it's running very lean then that is a possibility.

I did consider if there would be any increase from your single walled pipes as opposed to a dual wall but that wouldn't be an issue as the stock pipe is a single walled pipe at the header to begin with anyway with an outer chromed guard at the header which in turn would be stopping heat getting away as fast as one without it. Also because your pipes are short and fat the flow out should be excellent. Obviously you notice extra heat over stock around the feet and legs but that is only because you are not being guarded from the heat.

These bikes do generally run with the fan a lot anyway, especially around town.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 10:09 pm

At least there's no temp gauge to worry about - I had a Yamaha XJ6 a couple of years ago with a temp gauge that showed 106 degrees when the fan cut in - got me paranoid waiting for the whirr when it got to 105!! My SV seems to run much cooler in town around 80 - V-Twin vs IL4 perhaps. The Intruder does seem to kick the fan in a lot I agree. Any idea what temp ?
Back to top Go down
ozrider
ozrider

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 7:39 am

Bought some Heat Shield Tape, I'll put it on the exposed part of the cover, it wont be seen anyway.

I'll take some pics soon.

CC, they are a local (Australian) supplier.....
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 8:38 pm

Pic's would be nice
Back to top Go down
ozrider
ozrider

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 7:21 am

Eventually gave up waiting for the rain to stop and headed out for the big test ride.New Pipes for me on C50T 536894

Loud, loud, loud.....

Got onto a back stretch of road and opened it up.....bugger me, what a difference, where did all that extra power come from. New Pipes for me on C50T 210272711

Guess it might have somthing to do with being more that twice the diameter of the original pipes with almost straight through mufflers.....

New Pipes for me on C50T BILD0025

New Pipes for me on C50T BILD0027
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 8:07 pm

ozrider wrote:
Finally got all the gremlins sorted and got the new pipes fitted, look and sound great.

The only concern is that due to the larger diameter of the pipes the rear side cover is now pretty close to the heatsheild on the pie, it's not touching but close.

As long as the pipe doesn't touch the pastry, your pie should be fine but don't go burning it Oz, especially if it's steak and kidney, thats my favouriteNew Pipes for me on C50T 2343124779
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 8:36 pm

Be good to get a bit of info on those pipes and a short sound video so Mr I can add it to his exhaust thread, maybe
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 8:45 pm

Twojobmick wrote:
ozrider wrote:

As long as the pipe doesn't touch the pastry, your pie should be fine but don't go burning it Oz, especially if it's steak and kidney, thats my favouriteNew Pipes for me on C50T 2343124779
steak and kidney puddings my favourite home made if possible i had home made meet and potatoe pie tonight wich was bluddy nice but steak and kidney pudding god mouth watering vision going blerd starting to drible better go and look at another post
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 9:31 pm

Those pipes look very interesting - almost like short cuts with long extensions pushed in.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 2:27 pm

Very nice looking New Pipes for me on C50T 65147

captain crash wrote:
Be good to get a bit of info on those pipes and a
short sound video so Mr I can add it to his exhaust thread,
maybe
Would be great to get a video clip as Crash says New Pipes for me on C50T 3498837457

Bluesman wrote:
Those pipes look very interesting - almost like short cuts with long extensions pushed in.
Yes they really do.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 4:33 pm

Nice looking ride Brian you must be made up now.
Back to top Go down
ozrider
ozrider

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 11:11 pm

Bluesman wrote:

They do in the photos. The headers have the headshield over them which also cover the front edge of the muffler assembly. The pipes are almost the same diameter as the mufflers.
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 7:14 am

looks nice brian
Back to top Go down
ozrider
ozrider

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 8:48 am

Pipes are all fitted and appear to be all fine.

They make an annoying whistle / chirping noise though, especially when you throttle when revving it.

Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Bunso Steel
Valued Member
Bunso Steel

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 12:05 pm

check its gas tight all the way along

Mine were a bit burbly to start off, but once the soot coated the inside the sound changed. Bluesman will tell you the same
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 1:07 pm

Bunso Steel wrote:
check its gas tight all the way along
Agreed
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 6:56 pm

Bunso Steel wrote:
Mine were a bit burbly to start off, but once the soot coated the inside the sound changed. Bluesman will tell you the same

New Pipes for me on C50T 428386
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 11:44 am

Yep whistles only ever mean one thing, air be blown out of where it shouldn't be coming from
Back to top Go down
ozrider
ozrider

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 10:16 pm

Thanks all, I'll get some muffler paste today and seal the pipe from the front pipe into the muffler. Rear is welded.
Back to top Go down
ozrider
ozrider

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 10:22 pm

ozrider wrote:
Thanks all, I'll get some muffler paste today and seal the pipe from the front pipe into the muffler. Rear is welded.

Done it, still whistling....bugger. I reckon it needs new crush seals at the headers, I'll get the dealer to do it as I don't want to overtighten anything.

If they F$ck it up they own it...

Last edited by ozrider on Tue May 15, 2012 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bunso Steel
Valued Member
Bunso Steel

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 10:40 pm

Are the baffles in or out when you get the whistling noise?

May help the lads diagnose your problem if you post a short vid
Back to top Go down
ozrider
ozrider

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 11:37 pm

Bunso Steel wrote:

Baffles are permenant, can't for the life of me figure out how to post a video. I'll work on it...
Back to top Go down
ozrider
ozrider

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 2:59 am

ozrider wrote:
Bunso Steel wrote:

Baffles are permenant, can't for the life of me figure out how to post a video. I'll work on it...

Crappy Video, sound doesn't pick it up well...

New Pipes for me on C50T Th_VIDEO0006
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 5:03 am

To determine where a sound is coming from a tip I learnt years ago was to get a short (ish) length of hose pipe and stick one end to your ear and move the other end around the object to find out exactly where the noise is coming from.
Back to top Go down
ozrider
ozrider

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 10:07 am

Short Video of me hooning back up my street....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JMKNmtUxFi8
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Pipes for me on C50T   New Pipes for me on C50T Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Pipes for me on C50T
Page 1 of 1