Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Help with wiring in led lights

Go down 
+2
alfie92
captain crash
6 posters
AuthorMessage
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

Help with wiring in led lights Empty
PostSubject: Help with wiring in led lights   Help with wiring in led lights Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 4:23 pm

I want add some led strips to the car, what wire or cable do you guys use? I cant see to find anything near the gauge that my led's have come with but the wire is not long enough on them
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Help with wiring in led lights   Help with wiring in led lights Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 5:18 pm

I use a twin core copper speaker cable for mine. Not sure what a proper automotive electrician would have to say about that though.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Help with wiring in led lights   Help with wiring in led lights Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 5:22 pm

Hi CC the load on led's is very low,as Dave says speaker wire is good enough,a lot of people use telephone wire if that is any help.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Help with wiring in led lights   Help with wiring in led lights Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 5:26 pm

Good tip Alfie, never thought of telephone wire. Help with wiring in led lights 3498837457
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Help with wiring in led lights   Help with wiring in led lights Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 6:17 pm

Thank you gents that makes sense Help with wiring in led lights 881924
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Help with wiring in led lights   Help with wiring in led lights Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 10:33 pm

for the LED strips I put on my panniers, I cannibalised an old phone charger... the wire on that was twin core & nice & lightweight. There was a rating marked on the cable, so I rang the LED supplier & he confirmed it was plenty beefy enough Wink

But if you're doing the daylight running light type things, I'm guessing they'll need something beefier. Maplins sell all kinds of cable???
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Help with wiring in led lights   Help with wiring in led lights Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 11:16 pm

Maplins don't sell anything for LEDs, it was them in there tech department that originally advised me to use speaker cable.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Help with wiring in led lights   Help with wiring in led lights Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 2:22 pm

A good tip for people reading this,if you are soldering wires together,always lay them side by side to solder them, and do not twist them together,this twisting method makes them joints weaker.
Back to top Go down
Theanos
Theanos

PostSubject: Re: Help with wiring in led lights   Help with wiring in led lights Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 8:53 am

Serious tip here, to follow on Alfies: If you want a good joint when you solder wires, get someone to hold the wires for you, especially if you're trying to splice wires while the lights/what-not are mounted. Taking a few minutes to find a willing participant can make all the difference!
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Help with wiring in led lights   Help with wiring in led lights Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 10:06 am

Here is another one, heat the wire.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Help with wiring in led lights   Help with wiring in led lights Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 1:30 pm

Dave this can be done by tinning,ie:heat a bit of solder on each wire before joining,these little tips are great for people learning and we should all keep them coming in to help each other.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Help with wiring in led lights   Help with wiring in led lights Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 3:21 pm

Here is another one, don't short cut, use flux.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Help with wiring in led lights   Help with wiring in led lights Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 3:47 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
Here is another one, heat the wire.
alfie92 wrote:
Dave this can be done by tinning,ie:heat a bit of solder on each wire before joining
You should still initially heat the wire even when tinning so as avoid having a cold solder joint.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Help with wiring in led lights   Help with wiring in led lights Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 4:12 pm

Good point Dave,I stand corrected. Help with wiring in led lights 3005623951
Back to top Go down
smart
Valued Member
smart

PostSubject: Re: Help with wiring in led lights    Help with wiring in led lights Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 11:00 pm

for anybody new to soldering a joint should look bright when finnished if it looks dull it's a dry joint which is weak & needs redoing Help with wiring in led lights 184121345
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Help with wiring in led lights   Help with wiring in led lights Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 11:10 pm

That's a great tip. Help with wiring in led lights 3498837457
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Help with wiring in led lights   Help with wiring in led lights Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 9:08 pm

Excellant tip there Martin,this is what we need,tips and advice.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Help with wiring in led lights   Help with wiring in led lights Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 10:56 pm

The great tips that have come out of this thread have been amazing Help with wiring in led lights 433968
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with wiring in led lights   Help with wiring in led lights Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help with wiring in led lights
Page 1 of 1