Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Baffle modding - achieving deep bass rumble

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

Baffle modding - achieving deep bass rumble Empty
PostSubject: Baffle modding - achieving deep bass rumble   Baffle modding - achieving deep bass rumble Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 2:36 pm

Hi,

I've learned to love and appreciate my Jardine Rumblers... fact.
But due to my lollipop mod, they still sound rather flat.

I want to knock them out again during winter period and modify a lot more to change the tone completely.
I want to achieve that deep, thunderous bass thumping sound and I know that to achieve that, I will have to rip them apart and change completely the way the gasses travel.

With that in mind, has anyone of you came across any schematics for baffle design?
I have ideas on my own, and most likely my dad, who is a musician will help out in terms of how sound travels and changes but it would be good to have some schematics and designs that are tested and working.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Baffle modding - achieving deep bass rumble   Baffle modding - achieving deep bass rumble Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 4:18 pm

Found this by Mr Intruder,it may help.
This is the design used for Hard Chrome Quite Baffles

Baffle modding - achieving deep bass rumble NewBitmapImage
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Baffle modding - achieving deep bass rumble   Baffle modding - achieving deep bass rumble Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 7:29 pm

The baffles I got in Jardines are similar... hmm.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Baffle modding - achieving deep bass rumble   Baffle modding - achieving deep bass rumble Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 7:33 pm

Baffle are baffle mate, all that needs to be done is make a few changes to the dimensions & they will fit any bike
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Baffle modding - achieving deep bass rumble   Baffle modding - achieving deep bass rumble Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 7:55 pm

From what I understand the wider open the the pipe - the deeper the sound. When I took out the baffles on my HH Short Cuts on the Intruder, the exhaust note became much, much deeper. With this comes a loss of backpressure and messes up the mapping. So...the Americans fit torque cones to restore backpressure to straight through pipes. A lot of the 'body' is removed from pipes with the constriction caused by internal baffles. I suggest you look at removing the baffles and interrupting the airflow with torque cones, either purchased or formed yourself. The Harley Screaming Eagle pipes I had, used a similar system of diverted air flow rather than sqeezing it through a 'cheese grater'. I would have thought removal of your Jardine baffles and using just the lollipops would provide a good sound. Bear in mind with deeper and more open also comes 'bloody loud'! To see how deep your pipes can get, run for a short distance straight through (no baffles) - a short distance won't really cause harm and will tell you the ultimate low note you can achieve. Anything extra inside will raise the pitch. Best of luck with your experiments Baffle modding - achieving deep bass rumble 3498837457
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Baffle modding - achieving deep bass rumble   Baffle modding - achieving deep bass rumble Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 8:03 pm

Well no mapping to mess up on mine, it being a carb bike.
Jardines are allegedly "no rejet required" set but not sure actually if it would apply to pipes with baffles out.
In fact I'm yet to check the plugs and see if there's any issues.

I reckon the lollies would work but I think they'd have to be installed deep in the pipe, not at the very end of it.. I think the trick is to disturb the sound waves deep inside so they bounce through the length of the pipe before they get out.

Just thinking out loud here... I got nothing to loose :}
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Baffle modding - achieving deep bass rumble   Baffle modding - achieving deep bass rumble Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Bluesman wrote:
From what I understand the wider open the the pipe - the deeper the sound.
Very true but I believe the internal diameter of the header pipe will have detrimental affect on the quality of sound from the muffler. Wideness of the muffler must not be interfered with by smaller diameters much further up the pipe such as is the case with opened up stock mufflers or a more farty noise will allegedly be the outcome. Allegedly Baffle modding - achieving deep bass rumble 852880 
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Baffle modding - achieving deep bass rumble   Baffle modding - achieving deep bass rumble Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 8:21 pm

Farty noise...would be good for a laugh Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baffle modding - achieving deep bass rumble   Baffle modding - achieving deep bass rumble Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Baffle modding - achieving deep bass rumble
Page 1 of 1