Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Iridium spark plugs

Go down 
+5
Ken1964
Doc Cox
captain crash
Mr Intruder
Rattler
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Rattler
Valued Member
Rattler

Iridium spark plugs Empty
PostSubject: Iridium spark plugs   Iridium spark plugs Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 12:49 pm

It's that time soon to do a service on my bike and was wondering if any of you have used Iridium plugs and if it's worth it on a lower powered engine like this? 
Also, which coolant do you guys use? It needs to be suitable for aluminium radiators but is there any make better than others? Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Iridium spark plugs   Iridium spark plugs Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 1:40 pm

Can't see the point in them myself.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Iridium spark plugs   Iridium spark plugs Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 5:54 pm

Don't matter if it costs £1 or £5 for a spark plug, a spark is just a spark. I think iridium just last longer than non iridium plugs so the length of time that you want a spark plug to stay in place between changes needs to be a consideration when looking at the difference in cost between two different plugs as it can be a false economy
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Iridium spark plugs   Iridium spark plugs Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 6:32 pm

Hi Rattler, have always used Bosch spark plugs and never had any problems, but I always change the plugs every six months or six thousand miles whichever comes first.
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

PostSubject: Re: Iridium spark plugs   Iridium spark plugs Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 6:36 pm

Just been looking as I will be servicing my bike shortly, I am unconvinced if Iridium are worth it as I change my bike plugs Bi-yearly,

Found the following text on my search. Hard to know what information is and isn't biased, I will not buy Iridium plugs for my bike.
Iridium and platinum plugs are chosen for their longevity only. You shouldn't gap iridiums because of potential damage to the tips. For that reason and their inferior conductivity, they aren't used in modified engines. Keep in mind their price, as well.
Copper conducts better and is generally used in higher-performance/modified engines.
Any claims of more power or fuel efficiency of one type over another are pretty much baseless unless you were using the wrong plugs to begin with. Stick with what your owner's manual calls for unless you have a reason to upgrade/modify. 

Ken
Back to top Go down
Rattler
Valued Member
Rattler

PostSubject: Re: Iridium spark plugs   Iridium spark plugs Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 7:48 pm

Sounds good to me. Much cheaper for the standard plugs. Cheers guys.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Iridium spark plugs   Iridium spark plugs Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 7:53 pm

Ken1964 wrote:
Stick with what your owner's manual calls for unless you have a reason to upgrade/modify.

That sounds like good advice Ken  Iridium spark plugs 3498837457
Back to top Go down
customerlin
customerlin

PostSubject: Re: Iridium spark plugs   Iridium spark plugs Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 7:15 am

I choose NKG Iridium IX DPR7EIX-9 because my bike only has two sparks and they are not really expensive

I use the bike for long rides, so I do not want to have to change the sparks at the middle of the trip

They not only last longer, they supposed to have a better start response. I will use it during 30.000 Miles (50.000 Km) inteast of 7.500 miles (12.000 Km) of conventionals
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: Iridium spark plugs   Iridium spark plugs Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2015 10:11 am

Is the Jury still out regarding Iridium plugs?
Back to top Go down
customerlin
customerlin

PostSubject: Re: Iridium spark plugs   Iridium spark plugs Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2015 10:47 am

I just can give you my opinion, don't know the rest

I used standard plugs during 15.000 miles and the bike runs fine (she was new). Then I changed them, they where like burned yet... very black

I am a technological fan, so I like novelties on the bike. Some items fails when new, because they are like prototypes and the faults are corrected when the users try them and inform to the manufacturer

In this case I am using Iridium Plugs without problems. The bike starts fine and they are not turned black with the use at the time. I hope they last longer, if we believe the characteristics of the manufacturer they last when 100.000 km (more than the life of my engine) so I hope not to have to change them never. About less gasoline consume and more engine power I am not really sure, maybe appreciable for some people but I don't care a lot and haven't done hard tests

You know what happens with novelties, some people didn´t like changes, support mores until everybody upgrade their items

I remember when the chrome fashion because I loved black finnish on engine guards, light bars and more accesories. When I asked for help to buy black ones people hates them, anytimes also insult me or takes me like a martian. Actually much of them are riding a C800 BOSS because they are on fashion now

If the price is reasonable I preffer to try noverties. You must consider that Iridium Plugs will be on all vehicles in a recent future when the price falls because of massive sales (also happens with LED lights)
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Iridium spark plugs   Iridium spark plugs Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2015 11:06 pm

I've no personal experience on 'Iridium' spark plugs myself? but, Our Matty always insisted on them on his Speedfight 120 and had no problems with them and reported massive power gains Iridium spark plugs 852880  however, I was once talking to a guy on a beemer who covered great distances 40k+ per year, He said whereas a normal plug breaks down over time and plug problems usually showed their face before they actually die, these Iridium jobbies don't, they just stop working, end of story, your stranded! It sort of put me off them  Iridium spark plugs 437349 especially as I've never had any problems with the standard NGK's which are cheaper  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
customerlin
customerlin

PostSubject: Re: Iridium spark plugs   Iridium spark plugs Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2015 5:43 am

Maybe Simbo are right about the duration of the Iridium I have never last them, but about the price?

I always use 99 octane gasoline when everybody uses 95, don't have any problem in spent money in spite of much people said that it's not necessary and 95 octane is cheaper and there is not difference

I spoke about gasoline because I have done 20.000 km riding in UK, Central Europe and Scandinavia when bought the bike. If I haven´t done that travel I could buy 2 bikes or turn myself to the dark side buying a V-Rod (that could never happens, I'm an Intruder fan) 

If NKG spent his resources in R&D to produce a better product and sells them as the best of their plugs is for something. Iridium are years in the market, haven´t dissapear because are a bad bussines, but you know any shit is good for an HD but only the best is good for my Intruder

Your HD partner that last Iridium post it on a HD forum? Surely HD owners said inconsistencies there and that's why there are HD owners in a Suzuki forum (That's a joke I'm happy to share experiences with any owner in spite of he where on the dark side)
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Iridium spark plugs   Iridium spark plugs Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2015 7:43 am

Quote :

Your HD partner that last Iridium post it on a HD forum? Surely HD owners said inconsistencies there and that's why there are HD owners in a Suzuki forum (That's a joke I'm happy to share experiences with any owner in spite of he where on the dark side)

Balls in your court Sim !!!!
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Iridium spark plugs   Iridium spark plugs Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2015 12:49 pm

katsd wrote:
Quote :

Balls in your court Sim !!!!

I've no idea what Israel is taking about Dave? Why would Harley riders discuss iridium plugs? Everyone knows Harley's have glow plugs not Spark plugs Very Happy
Back to top Go down
customerlin
customerlin

PostSubject: Re: Iridium spark plugs   Iridium spark plugs Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2015 3:27 pm

Quote :

I've no idea what Israel is taking about Dave? Why would Harley riders discuss iridium plugs? Everyone knows Harley's have glow plugs not Spark plugs Very Happy

As they believe that they are the best custom in the market they must be talking about Golden Plugs yet :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iridium spark plugs   Iridium spark plugs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iridium spark plugs
Page 1 of 1