Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Need The Horn?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Need The Horn? Empty
PostSubject: Need The Horn?   Need The Horn? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 1:29 pm

Appreciate this one has been done before, but what recommendations does anyone have for a louder horn?  At what point do I have to consider fitting relays?

Thanks in advance - Dave
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

Need The Horn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need The Horn?   Need The Horn? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 3:20 pm

Your in the right section Dave, have a look (- HERE -) on the Stebel Nautilus. Bloody loud and easy to fit & did I say bloody loud  Need The Horn? 3213823784
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Need The Horn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need The Horn?   Need The Horn? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:53 pm

Yeh - they look the dogs.  Is it the "Compact" you fitted?  Any long term problems?  I remember reading somewhere about air horns having a habit of packing up - although that may have been one particular brand.   They're about £30 at the moment, which is peanuts if it warns a muppet that you're there.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

Need The Horn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need The Horn?   Need The Horn? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 5:32 pm

Sure did, I thought it was great and would say they are and have been the best for years. A few guys on here have fitted them and raved about them. Just follow Mr Intruders recommendation and you will think a truck has blown his horn when you press the button they are 139 decibels worth of ear ache  Need The Horn? 3213823784
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

Need The Horn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need The Horn?   Need The Horn? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 7:24 pm

The Stebel is a great horn, Sounds bloody great. I will be fitting a second one on the other side when I can. Not because it needs it because it certainly doesn't. I will be fitting it just for the fun of it.  Need The Horn? 852880
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Need The Horn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need The Horn?   Need The Horn? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 7:59 pm

Thanks for that - much appreciated
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

Need The Horn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need The Horn?   Need The Horn? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 9:16 pm

I would say this though guys, the original Stebel Nautilus is now a very rare bird as Stebel have ceased manufacturing but I bought mine from Nippy Normans BMW site 2yrs ago & they were running out of stock then.
I believe Fiamm have bought Stebel out so just have a look around for some of those BUT some companies are selling inferior 'copies' that are not as loud & do not last as long.
Have a look around & as I said you may drop on one somewhere here in the UK?
Back to top Go down
ippikin
ippikin

Need The Horn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need The Horn?   Need The Horn? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 10:27 am

Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Need The Horn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need The Horn?   Need The Horn? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 1:34 pm

I've also been considering the Hela Supertone & also the Screaming Banshee (which has the advantage of not needing a relay as it draws directly from the battery.  Anyone tried either of these?
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

Need The Horn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need The Horn?   Need The Horn? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 5:14 pm

If a Hela doesn't require a relay, it's not in the same league as the Stebel. Even a few DB is a lot, due to doubling with DB's, how many DB is it?
Stock is Stock Horn = 105db - 1 amp (no relay)
Stebel is Stebel Nautilus = 139db - 18amps (relay must be fitted)
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Need The Horn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need The Horn?   Need The Horn? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2014 9:29 pm

The Hella runs 118db at 2 meters.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

Need The Horn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need The Horn?   Need The Horn? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 10:55 am

Sounds more than reasonable.  Need The Horn? 3498837457
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

Need The Horn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need The Horn?   Need The Horn? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 5:57 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
If a Hela doesn't require a relay, it's not in the same league as the Stebel. Even a few DB is a lot, due to doubling with DB's, how many DB is it?
Stock is Stock Horn = 105db - 1 amp (no relay)
Stebel is Stebel Nautilus = 139db - 18amps (relay must be fitted)

Copied from a site on the net
On the decibel scale, the smallest audible sound (near total silence) is 0 dB. A sound 10 times more powerful is 10 dB. A sound 100 times more powerful than near total silence is 20 dB. A sound 1,000 times more powerful than near total silence is 30 dB. Here are some common sounds and their decibel ratings:

• Near total silence - 0 dB
  • A whisper - 15 dB
  • Normal conversation - 60 dB
  • A lawnmower - 90 dB
  • A car horn - 110 dB
  • A rock concert or a jet engine - 120 dB
  • A gunshot or firecracker or Stebel  Need The Horn? 852880  - 140 dB 

You know from your own experience that distance affects the intensity of sound -- if you are far away, the power is greatly diminished. All of the ratings above are taken while standing near the sound. Any sound above 85 dB can cause hearing loss, 
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

Need The Horn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need The Horn?   Need The Horn? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 6:24 pm

EH? SPEAK UP I CAN@T HEAR YOU THERE!!!!  Need The Horn? 3213823784
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Need The Horn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need The Horn?   Need The Horn? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 10:01 am

The Hella kit is supplied with a relay, so I assume it'll have a bit of humph to it.  Suppose it's whether to go for air or diaphragm.  The Screamin' Banshee can be supplied as a split unit so the trumpet can be mounted remotely from the compressor.  As Peter has said, the Stebels are rare beasts nowadays, but Fiamm produce the "Ultimate Blast", which appears to be identical.  There's also a massive difference in prices - £30 ish to over £100, so I suppose it's how much I want to spend.  Guess I'm going to do what I normally - have a mull over it for a few weeks until one day when I make a snap decision !
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

Need The Horn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need The Horn?   Need The Horn? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 3:21 pm

Some horns claim to be what they are not and do their sound checks in a situation that will make them seem better but that situation would also make their competitors horns sound better or louder as well. I only really believe what I hear with my own ears or a few trusted people have heard in their reviews, Not just anyone on a site that we don't know because sometime companies con the so called independent reviews by keep getting their own people to falsely review their stuff. Goes for all sorts to be honest, forums like this are a great source of research cause the reviews are normally honest when done by members that have nothing to gain or loose by what they say

Dave R wrote:
Guess I'm going to do what I normally - have a mull over it for a few weeks until one day when I make a snap decision !
Sounds familiar although I sometimes miss out the first bit  lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Need The Horn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need The Horn?   Need The Horn? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need The Horn?
Page 1 of 1