Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spark plug slightly black

Go down 
+4
captain crash
alfie92
Mr Intruder
Rattler
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Rattler
Valued Member
Rattler

Spark plug slightly black Empty
PostSubject: Spark plug slightly black   Spark plug slightly black Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 1:13 pm

Can I have your opinion here guys please.
This spark plug is from air intake side. The one on the other side was spot on. I havnt changed these as you can tell which us why I'm on with it but what is the issue here? Thanks.

Spark plug slightly black 20140226_124545

Spark plug slightly black 20140226_124004
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug slightly black   Spark plug slightly black Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 2:07 pm

Not really a good area for me, so take what I say with a pinch of salt.
Very black plugs are a bad thing but they look pretty reasonable to me when considering you say "I havnt changed these as you can tell".
No doubt someone who knows much more than me will chip in on this.
Back to top Go down
Rattler
Valued Member
Rattler

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug slightly black   Spark plug slightly black Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 2:12 pm

Yeah me saying that was due to the rusting on parts of the plug. I suppose it's probably due to maybe water getting in when washing or something as if that was oil where it fits it wouldn't corrode I presume.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug slightly black   Spark plug slightly black Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 2:44 pm

I'm wth Dave on this,but to me the electrode which delivers the spark looks well.try a compression test on both to see if you can feel any difference with your thumb when you take the spark plugs out,or ask one of your mates if they have a compression tester.I would advise change the pair anyway,and check them again in a couple of hundred miles.Are you getting a lot of smoke from your exaust,this would be a good indication something was wrong as well.When you fitted the fuel processor make sure you have not set it to run too rich,these are just things i can think of off my head,always awkward trying to give safe advise without seeing the problem.hope this helps in some way.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug slightly black   Spark plug slightly black Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 3:08 pm

Black plugs can be to do with mixture but I think but that looks alright to me considering. Could be better but could be a lot worse
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug slightly black   Spark plug slightly black Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 5:14 pm

Looks fine to me Rattler  Spark plug slightly black 3498837457 The rust on the outside is probably down to water resting in the spark plug recesses like you say.
Back to top Go down
Jimmyboy
Valued Member
Jimmyboy

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug slightly black   Spark plug slightly black Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 7:56 pm

Check the link for a quick over view on plugs, rule of thum is clean and white its running lean and hot, light brown is normal and black is running rich.
If your mixture is ok then it could be worn rings which would cause that pot to burn a bit of oil and also give you a black plug.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bkiDvItmuGo/UPwH94e7XwI/AAAAAAAAA9g/XHFYWNkFO5g/s1600/spark+plug.gif

the plug in the pic looks fine to me and I wouldnt worry about it.

Jim.

Last edited by Jimmyboy on Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rattler
Valued Member
Rattler

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug slightly black   Spark plug slightly black Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 8:02 pm

Shouldn't be the air/fuel mixture as it's been set up on the Dyno. That's been done twice and most recently only 3 or 4 months ago.
I've swapped the plugs anyway. Cheers guys.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug slightly black   Spark plug slightly black Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2014 1:13 pm

Don't know much mechanical stuff, but on an old mini I used to run, if ever the plugs got a bit sooty it was a sign of Running a bit rich.... In other words not enough air getting into the mixture. 
Simple reason was often Crap in air filter...  When did you last clean or change that? Just a thought  Spark plug slightly black 184121345
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug slightly black   Spark plug slightly black Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2014 2:51 pm

Would you describe that as sooty?
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug slightly black   Spark plug slightly black Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 9:52 am

or sweap  lol!
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug slightly black   Spark plug slightly black Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 9:59 am

:fpost:  Spark plug slightly black 62195
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug slightly black   Spark plug slightly black Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spark plug slightly black
Page 1 of 1