Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Full debaffle tomorrow !!!!

Go down 
+3
DocSjulle
simbo
Andy1969
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Andy1969
lumpectomist
Andy1969

Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! Empty
PostSubject: Full debaffle tomorrow !!!!   Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 9:44 pm

Hi guys

I have just got hold of a brand new set of standard exhausts, they have never been used on paid £25 for them  Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! 1218875559 

Tomorrow I am going to debaffle the standard exhausts safe in the knowledge that if (or more likely when it goes wrong) I can always put the other set on.

I am going for the full debaffle job, I have got two hole saws and a brush handle at the ready, and I am ready to go, any advice will be gratefully received, I understand that getting the baffles out after cutting the end plate donuts out can be a right ba***rd of a job, I have got a 46mm holesaw which is definitely the largest I can go as it is nice and snug with the side of the pipe.

I have watched the youtube vids and I rather this method to the bar through the baffles and a series of holes, and if I don't like it i will just stick the other pipes on and go back to standard. 

I love the look of the factory pipes but it sounds like a moped  Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! 394307  hopefully after I have done this tomorrow it will sound as good as it looks, I will keep you informed

Andy     Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! 2747638305
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Full debaffle tomorrow !!!!   Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 10:12 pm

Complete de-baffle, First of all, use a hole cutter around the centre pipe, 32mm from memory? then use the 46mm one that you've got, this gives you a doughnut shaped piece of metal and reveals the centre pipe (pea shooter) for easy waggling to remove (just waggle in a circular motion), then to remove the next plate you'll need a chuck extension for your drill with the 46 mm hole cutter attached, then your De-Baffled and leaving the Catalytic in view  Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Andy1969
lumpectomist
Andy1969

PostSubject: Re: Full debaffle tomorrow !!!!   Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 10:35 pm

When you say I need a chuck extension, is that for the lower pipe or to go deeper into the upper pipe?
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Full debaffle tomorrow !!!!   Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 9:21 am

Why not do the "honest abe mod" first, just to hear what it sounds like ?

Then afterwards you can proceed with the full debaffle.

It takes just 5min for the mod, and even though you might not like the sound, you have listened and learned how it sounds.

I did the mod to my spare standard pipes, even though I don't use them, just for this reason.
It makes the standard pipes sound better, but I think the down pipes are a too small diameter to give a really nice deep sound.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Full debaffle tomorrow !!!!   Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 6:00 pm

The honest abe mod as you call it is just drilling a few small holes in the end plates, not sure why a guy has named that after himself as it is nothing new in motorcycling at all. It adds very little to to sound at all and looks like a pipe that has been messed with. The header pipes are slightly smaller than after market pipes as you have mentioned but smaller diameter header pipes are better for low to middle torque where as the smaller header pipes that the stock bike has is better for low to middle torque. Doing what Andy is doing may not offer the great sound of some after market pipes but is one hell of a lot better than they are now and if you like a bit of a louder sound then its a good way to go. When you have got an empty pipe you can change the sound a lot if your not happy with the tone given by just experimenting with different stuff put up the muffler Or even reduce the size of the exiting hole by fixing a donut  ring further up the pipe that cant easily be seen from behind. That would create a chamber for the sounds to resonate in before exiting the pipe. Everything is a matter of trial and error, what sounds great to one guy will sound shit to another but he has spare pipes to play with so it would be a shame not to play with them. Its all a matter of cost and compromise
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Full debaffle tomorrow !!!!   Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 7:28 pm

The two bikes I have done with four 12mm holes in each end plate, and a rod through both the baffle plates, made a huge difference in the sound compared to stock.

Whether you like the sound or the look of the modded pipes, are up to you.

But I still believe in doing things in steps, and as you also mention, have fun and try it out  Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! 256401
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Full debaffle tomorrow !!!!   Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 8:19 pm

Andy1969 wrote:
When you say I need a chuck extension, is that for the lower pipe or to go deeper into the upper pipe?

It would be needed to remove the second plate that's about 9" further down the silencers from the end, That's if you're removing it? most people don't.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Full debaffle tomorrow !!!!   Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 8:36 pm

Most debafflers just do the back plates like you plan to do. Going right through to the cat may remove too much back pressure although it will sound awesome! Just using your two hole saws should still make a big difference to the sound. I dremelled the rough edges after the debaffle but still thought the end view looked a bit rough sooooo.....I bought a couple of cheap tax discs and used the outer rings to make a nice trim (fixed with HT silicone) you'd never know it wasn't a pro job.  Very Happy  Best of luck - the fun starts tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
Andy1969
lumpectomist
Andy1969

PostSubject: Re: Full debaffle tomorrow !!!!   Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 8:44 pm

Thanks for all of the advice guys, I am doing the job tomorrow I am just taking the rear donuts and the baffles out, the large holesaw that I have got is a very snug fit in the end of the pipe indeed, so hopefully should result in a neat hole, as long as the holesaw is man enough to get through the end of the pipe lol
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

PostSubject: Re: Full debaffle tomorrow !!!!   Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 9:03 pm

Good luck with your modding tomorrow Andrew (Or should I say 'rodding' !)

The thing that impressed me the most was that you managed to find a standard set of silencers if top condition for just £25 .... WELL DONE    you just have to go for it now !
Back to top Go down
Andy1969
lumpectomist
Andy1969

PostSubject: Re: Full debaffle tomorrow !!!!   Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 9:31 pm

I was amazed with the exhaust, it was on Gumtree 20 miles from where I live, the guy had an M800 brand new and had a V&H system fitted at the dealers and they put the standard system in a box for him, the exhaust has never been used,  I am going to debaffle my exhaust tomorrow and if i don't like it I will put the other one on
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

PostSubject: Re: Full debaffle tomorrow !!!!   Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 9:53 pm

Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! 65147 Andrew ! ...... Top purchase - nice to see someone's surplus parts becoming another's treasure.

My mate Steve seems an 'expert' at this .... but he says it's all down to having the time to search the net etc. .... but he always seems to find what he needs within a short space of time - just goes to show what is out there at times !
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Full debaffle tomorrow !!!!   Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 12:35 pm

Go for it Andrew, you can't go wrong with a spare set.
Back to top Go down
Andy1969
lumpectomist
Andy1969

PostSubject: Re: Full debaffle tomorrow !!!!   Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 3:28 pm

Debaffle done !!

I have done the debaffle today, easy enough to do the baffles snapped off fairly easily, if i'm being honest i'm pretty disappointed with the sound, its a lot better than standard,  but it is still a little  Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! 394307 ,  I havent ridden it yet so I will post an update tomorrow after I have ridden it, it may sound like a  different beast on the run.

One tip I would give anyone is not to use to big a holesaw to cut the outer part of the donut, I used an 86mm for the top exhaust and it was to big and got caught up on the edges of the inside of the pipe  :shithhappens: ; for the bottom hole I used a 76mm and it was so much neater and easier, and I have painted the bare metal with heat resistant paint.

I have already started looking at aftermarket systems, the one I am fancying is the
HardKhrome 3" staggered straights with one lamba sensor boss fitted, from Custom Cruisers it looks like they are twin walled as well, now how do i tell my beloved  Twisted Evil 

Andy
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Full debaffle tomorrow !!!!   Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 4:14 pm

What if you punch holes in the two baffles all the way to the cat, it should make the sound deeper, at least it did on mine, the four holes in the end baffle only made it louder and more raspy.
Back to top Go down
Andy1969
lumpectomist
Andy1969

PostSubject: Re: Full debaffle tomorrow !!!!   Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 9:27 pm

I have just been out on a 2 hour run on the bike, I take back what I previously said when out on a run the bike sounds great, it is definitely turning heads now, I am going to spike the 2 remaining baffles, but I don't think i will get an aftermarket exhaust now.  Where is the best place to get the spike?
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Full debaffle tomorrow !!!!   Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 9:58 pm

Glad your liking the sound now  Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! 3498837457  If you have a grinder or access to one? it's easy enough to make your own out of some scrap metal bar, you could even make one with a hand file.
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Full debaffle tomorrow !!!!   Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 10:45 pm

You might only need to punch the last baffle, as I think you already have a center hole in the Mickey baffle, from removing the center tube.

See this thread for pictures:

http://www.volusiariders.com/70-jets-injectors-pipes/180845-tricks-tips-how-get-deeper-sound-22.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Full debaffle tomorrow !!!!   Full debaffle tomorrow !!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Full debaffle tomorrow !!!!
Page 1 of 1