Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards

Go down 
+8
fat intruder
kardax
Mr Intruder
captain crash
Rick9000
Ken1964
Lowey
Bluesman
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Andy1969
lumpectomist
Andy1969

Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards Empty
PostSubject: Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards   Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 9:51 am

Hi guys

When I bought my M800 the previous owner had fitted a heel and toe gear lever and floorboards, I put the original foot pegs back on for a while and just used the gear changer like a normal changer, but I am thinking about putting the floorboards back on, what are the benefits of the heel and toe gear changing.  Ive been riding motorbikes for 25 years and never used this system before.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards   Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 10:46 am

I rode 10k miles on my C800. The floorboards were comfy for resting my foot. I then moved to a Kawasaki cruiser with pegs. I prefer pegs but all the big cruisers seem to have heel/toe and boards for comfort. Long trips in particular.
Back to top Go down
Lowey
Valued Member
Lowey

PostSubject: Re: Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards   Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 1:22 pm

I think heel and toe gear changer and boards are a must on a cruiser. The gear changer may seem a bit odd at first but once you get used to them there is no going back, at least that was the case for me, each to their own.
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

PostSubject: Re: Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards   Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 3:52 pm

I thought they was strange when I first bought my bike, now I think it's the norm. My opinion is that I would much rather ride with the standard Intruder heel/toe shift than in the conventional ways.
Back to top Go down
Rick9000
Rick9000

PostSubject: Re: Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards   Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 7:18 pm

I am another supporter of the heel / toe changer. My intruder was the first I had used one in 30 years of riding and I must say once used to it I wouldn't like to go back to the traditional way of shifting cogs. I know riders in warmer climates in Europe like them because you only use the sole of your foot to change gear so the toes of your Gucci footwear don't get scuffed !
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards   Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 7:51 pm

Love heel and toe shifts
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards   Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 8:26 am

Put them back on Andy, when you get used to them you will wonder why you went so long without them.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards   Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 9:30 am

Is the M800 better with pegs?
Back to top Go down
kardax
kardax

PostSubject: Re: Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards   Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 9:36 am

Bluesman wrote:

Hi,
I guess it's a matter of taste, to me it is ! Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards 666713
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards   Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 10:11 am

kardax wrote:
Bluesman wrote:

Hi,
I guess it's a matter of taste, to me it is ! Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards 666713
Do you ride with the originals?
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards   Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 11:14 am

I like pegs on a bike but that's all I've ever ridden never had heel toe changer just looks weird and harder to use to me saying that I'd probably like them if I tried them most people do
Back to top Go down
Andy1969
lumpectomist
Andy1969

PostSubject: Re: Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards   Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 4:08 pm

hi guys

Thanks for all of the replies, I have only done about 150 miles with the heel and toe gearchange with footboards, when I bought the bike in July i took the footboards off, put the pegs back on and rode as normal using just the front part of the heel and toe gearchange to change gear in th traditional manner, out of curiosity I put the floorboards back on and I now use the heel to change up and the front of my sole to change down.

I still need more time to get use to the heel and toe if im honest, at the moment I must say I rather the normal gearchange and pegs to the h&t and footboards, but will give it a few more hundred miles before I decide, if I decide to got to a normal gearlever and pegs if there is anyone who fancies a heel and toe gear lever and footboards I may well be selling.....watch this space
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards   Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 6:40 pm

I had never used heel n toe changer till I got my C800 but now I'm used to it I would not change it to anything else. My other bikes have all had/got just toe changers but then they are not cruisers!
Back to top Go down
oldtom
oldtom

PostSubject: Re: Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards   Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 6:53 pm

Being in a state of advanced decrepitude I am not a good example but this is how it is for me.

I find that when starting off I put my size nine on the footboard and often tread on the rear end of the peddle and then wonder why the bike has gone into Neutral. !!

Previous experience is limited with fore and aft gear change peddle was many years ago on a Honda 50.

I think I'd be happier with heel to change up and toe to change down. But then I am very old.
Back to top Go down
kardax
kardax

PostSubject: Re: Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards   Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 8:48 pm

Bluesman wrote:
kardax wrote:
Bluesman wrote:

Hi,
Do you ride with the originals?
Not anymore, I have ISO pegs to match with my ISO grips. But the originals were not that bad actually, they absorbed a good deal of the vibrations.
Back to top Go down
oiler
Saint Oiler the 1st
oiler

PostSubject: Re: Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards   Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 9:18 pm

I thought that floor-boards would keep the rain from going up my trouser legs. No such luck. The heel and toe arrangement, especially if you have an improved (louder) exhaust, allows for that lovely leisurely gear-change. The laid back attitude that cruisers are all about.
Back to top Go down
Lowey
Valued Member
Lowey

PostSubject: Re: Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards   Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 12:24 pm

oiler wrote:
The heel and toe arrangement, especially if you have an improved (louder) exhaust, allows for that lovely leisurely gear-change. The laid back attitude that cruisers are all about.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards   Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 2:25 pm

Not agreed, no way now how. :what1:
How the does moving your foot & leg from the front to the back of the board make a more leisurely gear change than just adjusting your foot from over or under the shifter?

Can I point you towards ( THIS THREAD ) to explain more please.
Back to top Go down
Andy1969
lumpectomist
Andy1969

PostSubject: Re: Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards   Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 5:08 pm

After a few more hundred miles on the floorboards and heel and toe,I think I will go back to footpegs and the conventional gear lever, it just suits me better, I think one is no better than the other, it just down to personal preference I think.
Back to top Go down
oiler
Saint Oiler the 1st
oiler

PostSubject: Re: Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards   Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2014 6:55 am

Mr Intruder wrote:
Not agreed, no way now how. :what1:
How the does moving your foot & leg from the front to the back of the board make a more leisurely gear change than just adjusting your foot from over or under the shifter?

Can I point you towards ( THIS THREAD ) to explain more please.
Very simple, it seems to me. The act of moving moving my foot from the board to the heel position, takes a bit longer (for me anyway) than simply hooking up my toe. This gives me (and possibly only me, but that's ok) the feeling that I'm being more relaxed. With my 'improved' pipes, the more time I take getting up to speed, the longer I get to enjoy the exhaust note, before wind noise takes over. I remember my faster days on my Norton, lidless in those days, and a certain in-line 600 from Mr Honda (unimpressed by Honda build quality having owned  six Hondas, but that's another story). Now, in my decrepitude, it's all about relaxation. Smell the grass and look at the people, or the other way around. Just love town riding, getting to hear my lovely pipes bumbling away beneath me, not to mention the occasional admiring glance from your general public.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards   Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2014 8:16 am

Floorboards are to be found on big cruisers presumably for long journeys to avoid the ache caused by holding your ankle a little stiffer on conventional pegs. Members who find this mentally makes them feel and ride in a relaxed position obviously have what suits them. I rode my C800 fairly agressively and would often kick the heel control hard to change up. When I moved to conventional pegs on the VN I rode no more or less agressively but the 'cocked' foot position seemed to suit my riding style better. Psychologically I felt more ready for a quick change. In reality it's probably all bullshit! 

If you are on a bike and it makes you feel relaxed, then it does. If you think your machine is a wolf in sheep's clothing then it is. Cruisers are only leisurely bikes if we want them to be. I think Suzuki were clever in their marketing of the M800 vs C800 as regards the controls, bars, clock position etc. In reality not a massive difference in style but sufficient for 3 sales men in different Suzuki dealers in 2010 when I was in the market, to say one bike was a little more relaxed in attitude than the other. Little is the word. I test rode both and found the M a little more nimble and the C a bit more laid back but that may have been as much my perception based on what I was being told than reality. Intruders are fine bikes. I'm thinking of getting another, probably used, and whichever comes up as a good deal will get my money - what controls it has will be of lesser importance because I can adapt easily to either. I'll probably still ride it like a tool when  Mrs. B is not on the back Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards 62195.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards   Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2014 8:18 am

I feel it is easier to use a toe shifter but really enjoy the heel/toe shifter. At first I would get mixed up and would often change down a gear when I really wanted to change up. Relaxing I am not sure the heel/toe shifter is but I like it now all the same.
Back to top Go down
oldtom
oldtom

PostSubject: Re: Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards   Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2014 9:00 am

I now mostly use the toe end of the heel and toe shifter for up and down gear changes. Only time I use the heel is when by accident, when shuffling my size nines, I tread on it. Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards 474255
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards   Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2014 11:07 am

I mistakenly changed down when I meant up, more than once - gives you a bit of a shock to say the least !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards   Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heel and toe gearchange with floorboards
Page 1 of 1