Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Drilled vs baffle removal

Go down 
+7
peardrop3
simbo
fat intruder
Bluesman
Mr Intruder
stingray
clonglands
11 posters
AuthorMessage
clonglands
Prospect
clonglands

Drilled vs baffle removal Empty
PostSubject: Drilled vs baffle removal   Drilled vs baffle removal Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 2:34 pm

I know this topic is covered a lot but there seem to be differing points of view and I wanted to see if I could get a few clear answers.

My stock exhaust purrs like a kitten and having come from a stubby viper can on a zx9r I really need a bit more volume. Loud pipes save lives is very true as this is what I usually use on cars trying to cut me up instead of the horn.

I have a fuel injected VZ800 Intruder. If I drill the end plates but don't knock through the middle plates will this give me a decent volume increase?

Or do I remove the baffles completely until I can afford to sort out a good set of aftermarket pipes?

I see a lot of opinions about installing a controller if removing baffles as you're changing back pressure and air flow and will cause the bike to run too lean which will then cause a significant drop in performance. Is this the case or will this be ok as long as the air filter isn't changed as well?

I have all the tools to do either mod but not the cash to purchase new pipes having only just laid out for the bike.
Back to top Go down
stingray
Very Valued VIP Member
stingray

PostSubject: Re: Drilled vs baffle removal   Drilled vs baffle removal Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 3:19 pm

Hi, I've got the m800 and I've drilled (4) 15mm holes in each back plate, I've also pierced baffle plates (2) in each pipe using a pointed 20mm steel bar, to me she sounds great, no need for tuning box provided you don't alter air filter/intake.
Back to top Go down
clonglands
Prospect
clonglands

PostSubject: Re: Drilled vs baffle removal   Drilled vs baffle removal Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 3:28 pm

Thanks that's good to know. I'll drill first as I don't have spiked rod. From what I've read the drilled holes will add volume and piercing the baffle plates will add depth. Did you try one without the other?
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Drilled vs baffle removal   Drilled vs baffle removal Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 9:52 pm

Hit a rod down the center, great sound & doesn't look messed with. Drilling holes is fine & some like it but just whack the pole down the middle for a really good sound, don't bother drilling the end plates.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Drilled vs baffle removal   Drilled vs baffle removal Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 11:45 pm

Yes, go down the middle for a deeper sound and as Dave says, it doesn't show. I did the backplate holes but thought it looked a bit naff! Debaffle is good but the pipe may look a bit 'hacked' unless you finish it off properly. Back pressure should be fine unless you remove the plates completely. I ran mine with most of the middle gone, just the cat left. The plugs were spot on. You can get a really good sound using stock modded pipes. If I had another Intruder I would probably debaffle using hole saws and fit nice circular trims to make the pipes look 'professional'. Or I would bang down the middle though 2 plates. I would not drill the back plate...been there, did not like the look.
Back to top Go down
stingray
Very Valued VIP Member
stingray

PostSubject: Re: Drilled vs baffle removal   Drilled vs baffle removal Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 9:58 am

Hi clonglands, yes I experimented with hole sizes first but piercing the baffles is the way to go, if you're ever around the West Mids (Dudley), pop in and I'll do the baffles for you, Drilled vs baffle removal 184121345
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Drilled vs baffle removal   Drilled vs baffle removal Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 11:29 am

rod strait down the middle gives a far better sound imo  I used 22mm and as Dave says it also looks untampered with but gives a nice throaty sound deffo the way to go and the best way to start then if she still isn't loud enough you can always add the holes to the end plate Drilled vs baffle removal 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Drilled vs baffle removal   Drilled vs baffle removal Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 6:43 pm

I was behind Petetesch today on a ride out, he rodded his pipes. Sounds bloody good.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Drilled vs baffle removal   Drilled vs baffle removal Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 7:10 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
I was behind Petetesch today on a ride out, he rodded his pipes. Sounds bloody good.

Drilled vs baffle removal 428386 Drilled vs baffle removal 2215087486 Sounds nice and rumbly.
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Drilled vs baffle removal   Drilled vs baffle removal Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 7:20 pm

Question if I may?

I have a K & N air filter, would I need to add anything if I rodded the pipes???
Probably been asked before but I thought I'd ask ok.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Drilled vs baffle removal   Drilled vs baffle removal Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 7:56 pm

Rule of thumb Peter is, as follows with no adjustments needed:
Air intake on its own. Drilled vs baffle removal 3498837457 
Exhaust on its own. Drilled vs baffle removal 3498837457
Air intake and exhaust together. Drilled vs baffle removal 437349 Adjustment now required to air/fuel mix.
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Drilled vs baffle removal   Drilled vs baffle removal Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 8:05 pm

I think you'd get away with just rodding and different air filter as your standard exhaust is still so full of shite jmo
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Drilled vs baffle removal   Drilled vs baffle removal Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 8:06 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:

must of been a site for sore eyes him rodding his pipes good to know I'm not the only one who's vocal though hyst Drilled vs baffle removal 3213823784
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Drilled vs baffle removal   Drilled vs baffle removal Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 8:45 pm

fat intruder wrote:
I think you'd get away with just rodding and different air filter as your standard exhaust is still so full of shite jmo

It could be full of cotton wool & fairy farts, it makes no difference. The fact remains, you will of given the exhaust gases a direct unobstructed route out, if it is rodded. It isn't wise to have a high flow air intake and fast flowing exhaust without refueling.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Drilled vs baffle removal   Drilled vs baffle removal Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 9:13 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
fat intruder wrote:

It could be full of cotton wool & fairy farts, it makes no difference. The fact remains, you will of given the exhaust gases a direct unobstructed route out, if it is rodded. It isn't wise to have a high flow air intake and fast flowing exhaust without refueling.

Drilled vs baffle removal 428386 Drilled vs baffle removal 2215087486  Lean to begin with, filter 'or' pipe takes it to the limit, both will push the boundaries, for the price of a basic FI module or jet kit? it's just not worth damaging your engine.
Back to top Go down
petetesch
petetesch

PostSubject: Re: Drilled vs baffle removal   Drilled vs baffle removal Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2015 8:34 am

Yes, rod down the middle, Chrissie noticed the difference straight away. Not too loud but a lot deeper sound. I just about got away with that one. Tee Hee!!
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Drilled vs baffle removal   Drilled vs baffle removal Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2015 11:33 pm

petetesch wrote:
Yes, rod down the middle, Chrissie noticed the difference straight away. Not too loud but a lot deeper sound. I just about got away with that one. Tee Hee!!

You are talking about exhausts here Pete?   Laughing
Back to top Go down
petetesch
petetesch

PostSubject: Re: Drilled vs baffle removal   Drilled vs baffle removal Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2015 11:40 am

She does like a change or an enhancement Sim. hbb
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Drilled vs baffle removal   Drilled vs baffle removal Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 8:12 pm

Rodded stock pipes sound good  Drilled vs baffle removal 276246
Back to top Go down
hmac
hmac

PostSubject: Re: Drilled vs baffle removal   Drilled vs baffle removal Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 1:36 am

I have done the spike through the baffles mod on my 97 VZ800 and it's a wee bit louder now and has a bit of a deeper sound with a nice bark when I open the throttle. How much louder would it be if I drilled the end plates?

I have watched a few videos on youtube but the sound quality from the cameras used just doesn't do much to help differentiate between the sound during the various stages.
Back to top Go down
stingray
Very Valued VIP Member
stingray

PostSubject: Re: Drilled vs baffle removal   Drilled vs baffle removal Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 9:11 am

Harry, start off with small holes and as you increase the hole size you will notice the difference, I ended up with 15mm x 4 in each can, start about 5mm and you will know when its right for you, Drilled vs baffle removal 184121345, you could even start with just 2 holes in each can, Drilled vs baffle removal 3498837457
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Drilled vs baffle removal   Drilled vs baffle removal Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 9:32 am

Drilled vs baffle removal 428386 With Sting, I drilled out the centre 2 plates then 5 holes, started at 5mm and stopped at 8mm, go up slowly and take her for a ride that way you will know when the sound is right for you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drilled vs baffle removal   Drilled vs baffle removal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drilled vs baffle removal
Page 1 of 1