Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Power outlet

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

Power outlet Empty
PostSubject: Power outlet   Power outlet Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 9:00 pm

So my satnav wont charge from a USB port with a USB cable, which is what i currently have on the bars, see here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-1A-Dual-Twin-USB-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Charger-Power-Adapter-Socket-Phone-GPS-/301618558594?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4639ddf682

Which by the way is a very good unit, it charges at 2a so its ideal for charging other things like a phone, Ecig, mp3 player and whatever else.

I also have a single 12v cig lighter type socket which ive never used. What i think i will do is re-position the USB power source somewhere near the rear of the bike, that way i can charge my phone etc while its in the saddlebag, and mount the cig lighter type socket near the handlebars, so i can plug in the genuine garmin car charger which should then properly power the sat nav. (USB cable isnt powerful enough to charge it, thinks its in data mode).

So i was wondering where you would recommend i mount the USB power near the rear of the bike so its close to the saddlebags? I dont want to drill into any plastics though.
Also would it be best to hook up the cig lighter power to the spare plug in the light bowl or is it OK to wire straight to battery too?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

Power outlet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power outlet   Power outlet Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 11:59 pm

From memory the connector in the headlamp is 5amp. So for phones etc, no prob.

But I had mine hooked up to that and like an idiot plugged my tyre inflator into it.... Pop went the fuse.

I now have my 12v socket wired to the battery via a beefier fuse, and it is sometimes handy to have access to the 12v socket without turning your ignition on, which of course turns your lights on, etc.

Ps...l read this thread after your other one..... So ignore half my other post saying your garmin prob won't charge via USB!! You know that now Wink
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

Power outlet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power outlet   Power outlet Icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2015 5:45 pm

I have a lighter socket & 2 USB socket power outlet on my handlebars plus I have an Optimate power(lighter) socket in my left saddle bag which connects to the Optimate battery tender cable which goes directly to the battery.
I have a Garmin Zumo 550(& a 500) which sits in the Garmin M/C cradle, this in turn is powered by the headlamp power socket directly so when the ignition is on so is the sat nav.
I have only ever used the cradle for power supply & NEVER a USB cable, that's only really used for putting information like new maps into the Garmin & will really only provide power whilst in the computer mode so trying to power the Garmin whilst on the bike with the USB cord is NOT a good idea.
Obviously I don't know what Garmin you have but I will give you this basic info for free;- ALWAYS ensure the unit is fully charged BEFORE it is used in the cradle as if it is low on power it will NOT power up the unit at all in fact it will only power it if it has over half charge & will run on the internal battery until it is empty so leaving you with a dead unit.
I also have the car cradle & the same info applies as above.
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

Power outlet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power outlet   Power outlet Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2015 7:59 pm

Fuck sake had such a rotten time wiring in the cig lighter socket. Getting the tank off and everything was fine. Reinstalling what a nightmare. Messed around with that stupid fuel line clip for an hour before pulling the line and clip off and shoving both on together at once, and it finally clicked into place.
Getting the tank to sit properly took another 20 minutes while trying to align the bolt hole. Turns out one of the rubber buffers had come off and got lodged between the tank and frame making it impossible to mount the tank properly.

Finally got it all buttoned up apart from the leather tank protector which will take another 10 minutes to properly lace back on tight.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

Power outlet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power outlet   Power outlet Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2015 8:11 pm

Do you know, I've had exactly the same thing with the rubber buffers on mine too! What a pig. Anyway, you're sorted now Wink have fun with your satnav...
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

Power outlet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power outlet   Power outlet Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 1:45 pm

Job jobbed.
Not tested on a ride yet but the sat nav isnt playing up when i plug it in, its an aftermarket charger too.
Things i'd do differently: Tap into the spare plug in the headlight and save myself 3 hours lol.
Couldnt find an easily accessible place near the back of the bike to relocate the USB charger so i just put it back where it was. If i need to charge my phone ill just put it in my pocket while charging. 

Power outlet WzOOc0g

Power outlet RmyBWqN
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

Power outlet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power outlet   Power outlet Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 3:55 pm

Good job Power outlet 184121345
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Power outlet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power outlet   Power outlet Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Power outlet
Page 1 of 1