Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Another Spiked Air Filter Thread

Go down 
+3
Mr Intruder
simbo
salona
7 posters
AuthorMessage
salona
salona

Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Empty
PostSubject: Another Spiked Air Filter Thread   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2015 6:02 pm

The lovely DPD man just delivered this:

Another Spiked Air Filter Thread IMAG0158
Another Spiked Air Filter Thread IMAG0159

It won't be going anywhere near my bike until I 3D print a spacer to take up the slack in the filter as it is rattling about in the housing. I read in a previous thread somewhere that someone cut out a spacer from foam and used that to stop the filter rattling around but I don't want to risk a piece of foam getting sucked into the inlet manifold.

I am currently 3D printing this spacer out of ABS plastic which will do the job nicely:

Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Filter%20Spacer

Then, I will have to get the Dremel out and get rid of the excess casting material inside the 90 degree elbow which comes as part of the kit because it will create unwanted turbulence as the air passes through.

Another Spiked Air Filter Thread IMAG0160

I will have a complete cone filter assembly going spare for anyone that wants to make me an offer for it.

Bobber likes this post

Back to top Go down
salona
salona

PostSubject: Re: Another Spiked Air Filter Thread   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2015 6:14 pm

Almost forgot to add that in order to get the trunking to fit on the new manifold piece you will have to use something around the outside of the manifold. 

Another Spiked Air Filter Thread IMAG0161

A cheap solution I found was to fit 2 x Kirby vacuum cleaner drive belts stretched one over the other. £2.49 for the pair from here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KIRBY-Vacuum-Cleaner-Drive-Belts-for-G3-G4-G5-Diamond-Sentria-Ultimate-G-/141563460012?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20f5d6f9ac
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Another Spiked Air Filter Thread   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2015 7:14 pm

They look cool them filters  Another Spiked Air Filter Thread 123721 show us some pics when you've finished  Another Spiked Air Filter Thread 3498837457
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Another Spiked Air Filter Thread   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2015 7:28 pm

You might want to look into fitting a fuel processor first with that air filter set up and your drilled baffles, it'll be running very lean with both done.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Another Spiked Air Filter Thread   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2015 7:54 pm

Sounds very interesting, I will be interested to see how this works out. Mine was not lose but I would of just fitted a rubber gasket if it had of been.
Back to top Go down
salona
salona

PostSubject: Re: Another Spiked Air Filter Thread   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2015 8:29 pm

simbo wrote:
You might want to look into fitting a fuel processor first with that air filter set up and your drilled baffles, it'll be running very lean with both done.
I had a look on the Dynojet UK site but there is nothing listed for a 2015 model. I will give them a ring tomorrow in case an earlier year model will fit.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Another Spiked Air Filter Thread   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2015 9:14 pm

Try Cobra and Healtech too, just as good and possibly cheaper
http://www.fi2000r.com/
http://www.healtech-electronics.com/
Back to top Go down
salona
salona

PostSubject: Re: Another Spiked Air Filter Thread   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2015 9:49 pm

Thanks for the info but I don't believe that these overpriced boxes are necessary. The ECU itself is a complex computer that takes in data from various sensors in the closed loop engine management system and makes the necessary adjustments to suit. Therefore, if you put more air in and allow it a less restricted route out by adding a higher flowing air filter and drilled exhaust then the ECU will increase the fuelling based on the values it receives from the inlet air flow sensor and then the Lambda sensor.

Additionally, if you really wanted to trick the management system into increasing the fuel to air ratio all you would need to do is to add in a 2 pence resistor to the cooling temp sensor circuit. If  the ECU thinks that the engine is cold then it will increase the fuelling as necessary.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Another Spiked Air Filter Thread   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2015 10:04 pm

Very interesting thread this,I always like loads of discussions to different items such as this one.Must admit I do not know the science of exhaust and ecu measurements,but nice to read about them.
Back to top Go down
salona
salona

PostSubject: Re: Another Spiked Air Filter Thread   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2015 10:12 pm

It's all based on something called the stochiometric ratio which in effect states that the ideal air/fuel ratio is 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel. 
In the good old days of carbs you had to increase jet size to add in more fuel if you increased the engines ability to suck in air by fitting a high flowing air filter. With a modern closed loop engine management system this is not the case as the ECU takes care of it itself based on accurate info it receives from various sensors. 

Why do these Power Commander type boxes exist in the first place then if that is the case? Same reason as all these faddy diets such as the green juice diet exists basically. If people believe it, then they will buy it!
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Another Spiked Air Filter Thread   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2015 10:19 pm

Thank you for your reply. Another Spiked Air Filter Thread 881924
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Another Spiked Air Filter Thread   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 4:42 am

I was the one with the foam spacer on the bottom of the filter, and it did suck it into the throttle body one night.
Thankfully no harm was done, and I just placed a piece of foam on top of the filter instead, to press it down against the mounting plate.

I don't think the stock ECU will allow the amount of fuel needed for both a filter and exhaust mod.
Maybe it is possible with the air temp resistor, but I know my bike ran lean with just the V&H exhausts mounted.
Also remember the bike is lean setup from the factory.
Back to top Go down
salona
salona

PostSubject: Re: Another Spiked Air Filter Thread   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 8:21 am

Rather than bodge up a resistor I have decided to go with one of these instead. I found them this morning on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141463222434?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Back to top Go down
salona
salona

PostSubject: Re: Another Spiked Air Filter Thread   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 10:08 am

I 3d printed and fitted a spacer for the filter this morning. No more rattling air filter for me.

Another Spiked Air Filter Thread IMAG0167

Another Spiked Air Filter Thread IMAG0168

Another Spiked Air Filter Thread IMAG0165
Back to top Go down
rossmofo
rossmofo

PostSubject: Re: Another Spiked Air Filter Thread   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 2:12 pm

Cone convo looks good ,great idea 3d printing the spacer...
That orange box for tricking the air temp meter will enriched the mixture by up to 10% but I would pull a spark plug every now and again as its not just about dumping more fuel into the mixture .... My bike defo needs the fuel processor fitted ..
Back to top Go down
salona
salona

PostSubject: Re: Another Spiked Air Filter Thread   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 5:00 pm

Finally getting around to fitting the air filter to my bike and I've designed an adapter that now makes the new filter housing fit into the rubber intake perfectly. I printed it up in ABS on my 3d printer and it even has some advertising for this forum! If anyone on the forum would like one of these adapters to ease installation I can supply them for £4 incl P&P.
I will upload another pic later showing the adapter in position.

Another Spiked Air Filter Thread IMAG0549
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Another Spiked Air Filter Thread   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 5:50 pm

That's a good adapter, good price too  Another Spiked Air Filter Thread 3498837457
Back to top Go down
salona
salona

PostSubject: Re: Another Spiked Air Filter Thread   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 10:08 am

A couple of photos showing the adapter fitted to the filter housing.

Another Spiked Air Filter Thread IMAG0550

Another Spiked Air Filter Thread IMAG0551
Back to top Go down
salona
salona

PostSubject: Re: Another Spiked Air Filter Thread   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 2:01 pm

After a very cold morning in the shed I have finally fitted the filter.

Another Spiked Air Filter Thread 2016-01-17_13.36.29

Another Spiked Air Filter Thread 2016-01-17_13.38.47

Another Spiked Air Filter Thread 2016-01-17_13.39.51
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Another Spiked Air Filter Thread   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 5:51 pm

Another Spiked Air Filter Thread 123721  Nice tidy job   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread 3498837457
Back to top Go down
salona
salona

PostSubject: Re: Another Spiked Air Filter Thread   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 9:20 pm

Thanks. Only problem is the poor quality chrome plating on the 90 degree elbow. There is an area that is starting to flake already so I think I'll need to take everything off again soon and have it powder coated gloss black.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Another Spiked Air Filter Thread   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2016 6:56 pm

salona wrote:
Thanks. Only problem is the poor quality chrome plating on the 90 degree elbow. There is an area that is starting to flake already so I think I'll need to take everything off again soon and have it powder coated gloss black.

Black will look better! it'll stand out more against the silver engine.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Another Spiked Air Filter Thread   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2016 7:07 pm

Looking good, love it.  Another Spiked Air Filter Thread 3492671266 Another Spiked Air Filter Thread 2170595768 ilis
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Another Spiked Air Filter Thread   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 6:41 pm

I'd thought about fitting one of these, but was concerned what would happen if it got piss-wet through.  Would it have an affect on fueling ?
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Another Spiked Air Filter Thread   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 7:22 pm

katsd wrote:
I'd thought about fitting one of these, but was concerned what would happen if it got piss-wet through.  Would it have an affect on fueling ?

I got caught in a heavy downpour (20 mins) on the motorway doing 75ish and it started spluttering, I backed off down to 55/60 and it ran fine, each time I accelerated it spluttered though, you could overcome that if adapted a k&n rain sock to fit I'd have thought.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Another Spiked Air Filter Thread   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 7:42 pm

Another Spiked Air Filter Thread 428386  same happened to me at speed, just eased off the throttle a bit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another Spiked Air Filter Thread   Another Spiked Air Filter Thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another Spiked Air Filter Thread
Page 1 of 1