Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dyno Run Sorted Fueling Problems

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Dyno Run Sorted Fueling Problems  Empty
PostSubject: Dyno Run Sorted Fueling Problems    Dyno Run Sorted Fueling Problems  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2015 3:51 am

I'd never been entirely happy with the fuelling on my bike.  It had been fitted with a pair of Highway Hawk straight-throughs, which the previous owner had obviously just bolted on & done nothing with.  

Dyno Run Sorted Fueling Problems  <a href=Dyno Run Sorted Fueling Problems  DSC08122_zps249e5ed4" />

Fuelling was abysmal & it backfired on over-run constantly.  Removing the PAIR valve improved it a great deal & my mechanic "fettled" with it & made it better.  I then chopped them down & had to add end-cans, which made no difference to performance to it all (not that I was expecting, or hoping, them to).  It would occasionally "stutter" on acceleration & pop a bit.

I'm not confident enough on carbs to piss around with them myself, so I found a local company, SPR Racing, who had a rolling road dyno tester.  They'd do a run on the rolling-road & decided what they could do about it.  If it needed any parts, they'd order them in & have the bike back to fit & re-test.

Took it over & they strapped it down to the bed, ran it up & the results came up on the screen - now it don't mean a lot to me, but I thought it may be of interest.

Dyno Run Sorted Fueling Problems  <a href=Dyno Run Sorted Fueling Problems  ImgDyno%201019_zpswrvxgajz" />

The dotted red line (on the bottom graph) is the optimum fuelling, the solid red line is where we started off at.  Running lean, not a lot, but enough to be causing the problems I was having.  So I though "this is where the expensive remedy is discussed".  Initially, they were speaking about a jetting kit with a K & N filter, then one of the guys decides he wants to try something.  He ran it again with hand over one of the inlets at the back of the air filter cover.  Immediately the dyno showed it was over-fuelling.  He then has an idea that if we could sleeve-down one of the intakes, it would increase the fuel/air mixture, effectively having the same effect as changing the jets.  They found a rubber grommet with a 10mm hole in it which fitted the air intake hole exactly.  Fitted it & re-ran it - still rich, so they trimmed a bit off the hole.  After trimming it a couple more times, they then came up with this test result.

Dyno Run Sorted Fueling Problems  <a href=Dyno Run Sorted Fueling Problems  ImgDyno%201020_zpspobl9c1v" />

They reckon that's the closest you're ever going to get to fuelling perfection.  If you have a look at the first graph, you'll see that it's also added another 2.5 hp to peak performance (red line before, blue line after).  

This is what they fitted instead of a (very pricey) jetting kit 

Dyno Run Sorted Fueling Problems  <a href=Dyno Run Sorted Fueling Problems  DSC09592_zpsxxflm4be" />

In situ in the air filter cover (super-glued in place so it doesn't disappear) 

Dyno Run Sorted Fueling Problems  <a href=Dyno Run Sorted Fueling Problems  DSC09593_zpsnqzpntgr" />

The cost - £60 - they only charged me for the dyno run - all things considered, I didn't think that was bad.  I know some peolpe like tinkereing with carbs, but unless you have access to a dyno tester rig, youll never going to know if you've got it right.  In my experience, you end up stripping your carbs down more than once 'cause the first jet is not the correct one.

All in all, it was an interesting experience, seeing your bike hammering along at about 100 mph & going nowhere.  It was also great to deal with a company who didn't immediately see pound signs flashing.  On the way home the difference was amazing - pulled cleanly all the way through the rev range with no hesitation - money well spent
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Dyno Run Sorted Fueling Problems    Dyno Run Sorted Fueling Problems  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2015 6:29 pm

Glad you got it sorted Dave & at a reasonable price to boot!!!
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Dyno Run Sorted Fueling Problems    Dyno Run Sorted Fueling Problems  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2015 8:18 pm

Good read, nice to have it well set up. Well done for having the work done, good guys. Dyno Run Sorted Fueling Problems  3498837457
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Dyno Run Sorted Fueling Problems    Dyno Run Sorted Fueling Problems  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2015 7:38 pm

Good read and result Dave.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dyno Run Sorted Fueling Problems    Dyno Run Sorted Fueling Problems  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dyno Run Sorted Fueling Problems
Page 1 of 1