Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

2002 Volusia running rough

Go down 
+9
peardrop3
katsd
Lowey
yorky
simbo
ToeKnee
hawktheslayer
diesel dave
Mr Intruder
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2015 7:03 pm

really pleased this has been sorted hope the bill is to your satisfaction
Back to top Go down
ToeKnee
ToeKnee

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 1:23 pm

Ok I have arranged to collect the bike tomorrow morning the bill started at £600 plus agreed on £490 in the end, ouch but I now know its sorted and with everything else they checked getting to the problem that the bike is in good health, thats the easy bit tonight I tell the wife that she has had a carb rebuild for Christmas pig love ... Thats the hard bit
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 1:39 pm

Good luck with the creeping, don't forget to wear a full face helmet it wont hurt as much.  good to see it has been fixed.
Back to top Go down
yorky
VIP Member
yorky

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 3:46 pm

Glad for you that its sorted 2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 3498837457
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 4:43 pm

Glad you got it sorted  2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 3498837457
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 4:54 pm

Ouch !!!!  At least you can rest easy in the knowledge it's sorted & you can llok forward to trouble free riding next year.  I suggest a big ribbon to go with old parts to make her feel better - & a lot of creeping.  Guess you'll cooking Xmas dinner then.
Back to top Go down
Lowey
Valued Member
Lowey

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 7:04 pm

Pleased it's sorted for but, but alas I can't help thinking what you are being charged is extortion.
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 8:32 pm

alfie92 wrote:
Good luck with the creeping, don't forget to wear a full face helmet it wont hurt as much.  good to see it has been fixed.
Glad to hear she's fixed. Also, shove some body armour down you trousers, if you are wearing your lid when you broach the subject, it will be the last place that she will hit you 2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 852880
Back to top Go down
ToeKnee
ToeKnee

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2015 2:41 pm

Ok time for an update...
I went to collect the bike on Friday, they started it up and it ran great (on choke) the service manager decided it was time to pay, I said no not until it is warm as it worked on choke but would not run on tickover, so we waited for it to warm up. The fuel light was blinking but a gallon of petrol would put that right. Then when the bike was warm in went the choke and it died!! Started again and cough splutter and fail to tick over... I said to him that it was the same as it was, he said no it needs fuel. I said if it needed fuel it wouldn't bloody run at full choke! He took into the workshop came back 30 minutes later with a full tank of fuel and a bike that was running without choke. I paid the bill and shipped the bike home.
Ok so now I have a working bike again or do I.... You see I have ridden it a few times and had it running on tickover in the garage until its nice and hot, all seemed ok, but today I rode it and I can still feel at low speed/revs a hesitancy and the odd splutter as you open the throttle at low revs. It fails to tick over smoothly hunting noticeably. It does not cut out and will tick over but I feel that it is not as smooth as it should be.
I rang the dealer today and although the service manager is off until the New Year I spoke to his number 2 and went through the above, he said they will have the bike back and sort it out. I have paid them £500 so far and I AM NOT PAYING them anymore. I was expecting this issue to be resolved but sadly I feel it is not, it works but to a fashion. They said they had rebuilt the carb reset the float re calibrated the fuel pump and replaced the vacuum pipes and seal to the inlet on the rear cylinder. I am losing confidence in the dealer and the bike :(
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2015 2:46 pm

No Fucking Way - what a pisser !!!!  On the plus side, you've now paid them for work which obviously isn't up to satisfaction.  If it was me, I'd be telling them that they sort to your satisfaction or it's see you in court time.

Really hope you get this sorted - don't let it bugger up your Christmas
Back to top Go down
ToeKnee
ToeKnee

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2015 2:57 pm

Cheers for the reply, no it wont mess up Christmas I will get this sorted one way or another  2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 410694
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2015 3:06 pm

god really feel for you  hope you have a good xmas and this finaly  gets sorted in new year
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2015 9:16 pm

That's a shitter! have a good xmas & new year all the same  2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Lowey
Valued Member
Lowey

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2015 8:23 am

I really think you need to demand you money back as the work they have carried out is substandard, plus the work they have said has been done is not £500 worth. I do hope you can get things sorted, as already been said try not to let it ruin your Christmas.
Back to top Go down
ToeKnee
ToeKnee

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2015 11:18 am

I am close to thinking it may be time to cut my losses and trade it in, be sad to leave the Volusia but I am losing confidence in the bike :(
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2015 11:42 am

I'd forget about it over Christmas, have a few days off, the go back to them in the New Year & tell them they either get the bike running right or else they give you a full refund.  I'd also be making notes of conversations & dates just in case this ends up going further.  Don't get rid just yet.  If you're trading it in, you're going to have to declare the faults to the buyer, which will possibly affect its value.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2015 12:39 pm

2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Hes%20right%20you%20know_zpsabthwr3c
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2016 9:58 pm

Any improvement Tony?
Back to top Go down
ToeKnee
ToeKnee

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 12:06 pm

Ok guys an update. I have ridden the bike a bit sadly the weather in the very wet UK doesn't help! I have found it to improve a bit in that it runs ok despite a bit of hunting and the odd hiccup at low revs, overall a big improvement. I guess I could take it back to the dealer who repaired it but given they spent so much time and in my mind got it to about 75% of being right I have no real confidence in them and I would expect them to say something like the carb needs replacing... 
So I have decided to move on and trade it in for a new(ish) bike. My wife knows I have lost a packet on value and repairs but has convinced me to move to a new model that is reliable and to be honest my trust and confidence in the bike is shot.
Xmas Eve I went to a local dealer and saw a Yamaha XVS950A Midnight Star in gleaming black 2 years old 1400 miles one owner with screen and cobra pipes (original available as well) and sissy bar. I had a good think over Christmas and yesterday went down with my bike and all its history and decided to buy the XVS. I like to be honest so I took the bill for all the repairs and went through what was done and how I felt it ran now, I said that they can take it for a test ride and if they were not happy I would walk away no problem.
Obviously the bike was shinning and he listened to it running and was happy with it, even though I asked him to ride it or get a mechanic to ride it he said it was ok, so at least my conscience is clear.
I made a huge error in buying the bike back and will never let heart rule head again, it has cost me around £1500 I guess in total loss in the VL800 plus the extra value of the new bike....
My ideal choice would have been an M800  similar to one I owned a while back a 2008 model before they messed up the front fairing on the headlight... But none available and the XVS was the nearest to a cruiser I could get that I liked the styling of. I wont be sad to part with the bike on Saturday as it has been a nightmare, bit like going out with an ex girlfriend, seems a good idea at the time but after a bit you realise she aint what she was when you first dated her!! 
I will miss the wide Intruder support forums and I know that I will keep an eye on here as to what is going on, sadly my wife has given me the ultimatum that this has to be the last bike as I am long in the tooth and know the biking will stop in a few years when the knees finally give up on me. So out with the old and in with the new as they say. Thanks for all the good advice guys it really was a great help when I thought I was going round the bend.
Back to top Go down
Lowey
Valued Member
Lowey

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 12:44 pm

I happy for you that you have come to a solution to your problem, I wish you all the best with your new bike. Sometimes we have to move on and put things down to experience just as you have, we live and learn. Regards Jeff.
Back to top Go down
yorky
VIP Member
yorky

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 1:38 pm

Yamaha XVS 950 A Midnight Star ....thats what I got 3 months back ...hardly had chance to ride it with the terrible weather !
Let us know what you think of the new bike Toeknee...I'll say one thing ...the seats very hard !
Back to top Go down
ToeKnee
ToeKnee

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 1:46 pm

Hi Yorky, yes it does seem less padded than the Volusia, can I ask why you went to that bike?
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 3:15 pm

good luck with your new bike wish you all the best
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 4:45 pm

Good luck with your new purchase, the seat can be reupholstered to suit your needs, I hope it goes well for you.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 4:48 pm

Nice bikes them there XVS's I'm sure you'll enjoy it, keep us updated Tony  2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 3498837457
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 4:51 pm

Good move Tony - it'd be interesting to see whether the exchanging dealer manages to sort out your VL.
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 5:11 pm

Tony we wont hold it against you if you prefer the Yamaha mate as we're all bikers nonetheless!
The VL you got was obviously a pain in the arse but you did the best you could so don't hold it against the make overall. Tony Archer in Huddersfield will sort the seat out for you while the bad weather is with us ready for spring when you can ride the bike again.
Back to top Go down
yorky
VIP Member
yorky

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 5:53 pm

ToeKnee wrote:
Hi Yorky, yes it does seem less padded than the Volusia, can I ask why you went to that bike?
..I wanted a change but wanted a similar size cruiser to the Vl and I wanted to get away from the spoked wheels.
Engine on Yam. seems a bit more relaxed on the motorway...and I liked the style, and found a good deal in Belfast ...so I thought I'd give it a go.
Hope you like it  2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Lowey
Valued Member
Lowey

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2016 10:41 am

Hi, ToeKnee. Have you got your new bike yet? If so how is it.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 9:16 pm

Lowey wrote:
Hi, ToeKnee. Have you got your new bike yet? If so how is it.

2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 428386
Back to top Go down
ToeKnee
ToeKnee

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 4:35 am

I picked the bike up last weekend and so far it seems very smooth and very loud with the Cobra pipes on it! One thing I noticed straight off is the floor boards, they are a bit further forward than the Volusia which is no problem just a bit strange feeling at first, the toe heel gear change will take some getting used to as well.
Engine feels very smooth and strong, plenty of grunt low down. seat feels fine but I will check that out better when I have had chance to go on a longer run. It may feel a bit thinner but seems more supportive. The downside is no fuel gauge just a warning light and the speedo is a bit weird the Volusia dial was neater I think. I have fitted the black cruiser tail box I had on the Volusia but it doesn't look right to me so I am going back to a leather roll bag, so if anyone wants a cheap box let me know :)

2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 IMG_1956_zpst7shk7mq
Back to top Go down
Lowey
Valued Member
Lowey

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 8:08 am

I'm pleased to hear all is well with your new bike. Enjoy it and ride safe.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 7:08 pm

Glad everything is good & bike looks the dogs dogsb
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 7:09 pm

ToeKnee PM sent.
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 8:47 pm

Those footboards on the pictured bike are not original footboards but a set from possibly China or such because if you look at others that have original ones you'll see the difference.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 9:19 pm

peardrop3 wrote:
Those footboards on the pictured bike are not original footboards but a set from possibly China or such because if you look at others that have original ones you'll see the difference.

They're the Highway Hawk ones for earlier VL's and later VZ's that have pegs, nice bit of kit to be honest, Sandancer had some on his M800. the XVS Footboards have Rubber Mounted plates like hd's to reduce vibration, they're nice too.
Back to top Go down
ToeKnee
ToeKnee

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2016 2:37 pm

Sorry for the confusion, that picture shows the old bike with the top box I am selling, local pick up only please
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2016 3:29 pm

AH that would answer that one then!
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2016 4:01 pm

that's what I thought pity about the probs as a great looking bike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2002 Volusia running rough   2002 Volusia running rough - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2002 Volusia running rough
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2