Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Removing stickers

Go down 
+3
hawktheslayer
simbo
Bluesman
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

Removing stickers Empty
PostSubject: Removing stickers   Removing stickers Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 9:06 am

I have taken off the ugly tank sticker on many bikes before but when I eventually got round to doing my latest yesterday (prompted by Sim), I made an interesting discovery. There is plastic laminate covering the sticker. I applied heat from a hair drier, to soften the adhesive in the usual way. I lifted the corner an peeled. Half the sticker came clean away without any need to rub with my nail  or soft wood. Then, just the laminate came away leaving a half unlaminated sticker underneath. That took ages with extra heat, white spirit and rubbing to remove. It's the laminate that sticks to the sticker which provides the key to pull the sticker off. So my advice is to pull slowly from one corner keeping the two layers together. If the laminate should start to lift on its own, stop and try another corner. By rubbing I have scratched the tank a little. The section that came away clean is unmarked.

Removing stickers IMG_0867b_zpsvpwiyrsg

Maybe petrol will take them off more easily or lighter fuel. What is your experience?
For me I will carefully need to rub in a tiny bit of T-Cut to remove the slight scratches. Removing stickers 410694
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Removing stickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing stickers   Removing stickers Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 9:24 am

That looks better! Removing stickers 3498837457  I'm sorry I mentioned it now  Removing stickers 641964 the scratches will come out won't they? I used to always use petrol to get the glue off, I've gone to that sticky stuff remover now and it works a treat, smells of lemons too  Very Happy

ps. I find it ridiculous that bike manufacturers stick them on the tank of all places  Removing stickers 437349
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

Removing stickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing stickers   Removing stickers Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 11:03 am

Could be worse! you could have a little orange bike with a plastic tank! not sure petrol etc will work without melting the plastic, so its the hard way for me
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Removing stickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing stickers   Removing stickers Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 7:00 pm

you could have a little orange bike with a plastic tank! not sure petrol etc will work without melting the plastic

Er - what's inside the tank, Justin ?
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

Removing stickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing stickers   Removing stickers Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 7:21 pm

simbo wrote:
I'm sorry I mentioned it now  Removing stickers 641964 the scratches will come out won't they? 
No problem - gave it some elbow grease today and the surface scratches seem virtually gone.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Removing stickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing stickers   Removing stickers Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 7:50 pm

That's good! Removing stickers 3498837457  I'm glad I mentioned that ugly sticker   Very Happy
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

Removing stickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing stickers   Removing stickers Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 9:30 pm

katsd wrote:
you could have a little orange bike with a plastic tank! not sure petrol etc will work without melting the plastic

Er - what's inside the tank, Justin ?

OK OK the tanks metal but the shroud covering it where the stickers are is plastic! (smug bastard Removing stickers 3213823784 )
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Removing stickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing stickers   Removing stickers Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 11:31 pm

Ah - I thought that the majority of those bikes had plastic tanks - yours must be an upmarket model !!
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

Removing stickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing stickers   Removing stickers Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 9:09 am

Just checked, your right plastic over plastic! petrol cleaner it is then Removing stickers 3498837457  shall I do it before or after I light up my next fag.... Removing stickers 3213823784
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Removing stickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing stickers   Removing stickers Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 11:10 am

At the same time - better results !!!
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

Removing stickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing stickers   Removing stickers Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 5:58 pm

Sorry you've had a bad experience removing stickers John. Removing stickers 437349

I just use a hairdryer and WD40 or petrol to remove any cap that's left.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Removing stickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing stickers   Removing stickers Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2016 10:46 am

John - if the scratch is not too deep (just through the lacquer, so you can catch it with your nail but not through to the primer), try using a piece of very fine wet & dry - 1500 grit minimum, 3000 grit if you can get it.  Use plenty of water with some washing-up liquid in it & rub very gently in a circular motion.  What you are trying to do is smooth the edge off the scratch, which will fool the eye.  When you've flattened it off, it will look dull.  Very gently use some T-Cut to take the very fine scratches out, then finish it off with some wax.

It won't be perfect, but it works
Back to top Go down
Lowey
Valued Member
Lowey

Removing stickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing stickers   Removing stickers Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2016 11:19 am

Very often a small scratch is best left, as it can be made to look worse then it already is. If it is a small mark it will probably not be seen by others but it sticks out like a sore thumb to yourself, because you are always looking at it. With time you may forget about it.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

Removing stickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing stickers   Removing stickers Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2016 11:50 am

Used T-Cut very gently. Virtually gone but as Jeff says, probably only I could see it anyway!
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Removing stickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing stickers   Removing stickers Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2016 12:17 pm

Put one of those warning stickers over it! hyst
Back to top Go down
Skidalot
Very Valued VIP Member
Skidalot

Removing stickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing stickers   Removing stickers Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2016 12:20 pm

Cover it with a decal perhaps?
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Removing stickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing stickers   Removing stickers Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2016 12:35 pm

What about an "Intruder" sticker ???  !!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Removing stickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing stickers   Removing stickers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Removing stickers
Page 1 of 1