Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

seafoam ?

Go down 
+3
steveydude43
OldManYam
mally
7 posters
AuthorMessage
steveydude43
Prospect
steveydude43

seafoam ? Empty
PostSubject: seafoam ?   seafoam ? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2016 1:28 pm

hi all I'm having fuelling problems and hoping for some direction , the bike is a volusia 800k4 carbed model.        about a month ago I noticed the bike wouldn't rev to the max it was only getting to 60mph in top gear then holding back so I cleaned the carbs - no difference . so I cleaned them again and soaked jets overnight in carb cleaner - no difference. in fact it would now only do 50 in top and was misfiring aswell so I drained tank and put 15quid of super unleaded in (yikes that stuff is dear)rode it for 10 miles and it was slowly getting worse so I cleaned plugs (fouled)it went slightly better but would still only rev out to 50mph in top so next I put just under half a bottle of sea foam in the tank  run it for 20 minutes and left it for 2 days ,     when I started it up on choke it revved slightly higher than it used to on choke before , revved lovely on the driveway so I rode it for 5 miles under load - still only revved to 50mph , yesterday I put new plugs in and it now does 60 mph again like when it 1st played up no misfiring runs sweet in each gear to about 2/3rds of rev range then holds back .     its the 1st time ive used seafoam and was wondering if theres too much in the tank or not enough or maybe the problem lies elsewhere ?        should I keep riding it to use up fuel then put fresh  fuel in or does seafoam work pretty much straight away ?    if it does work straight away then next I was going to test coils leads and caps but they look a pain to get to,    somebody told me if it was vacuum pipes it would play up at tickover and bottom end of revs - is this true ?      am I missing something else       ?     it starting to drive me nuts now lol     if anybody could shed some light I would appreciate it cus at the moment I cant afford to book it in a shop       almost forgot the bike was running totally stock till February when I dumped oil and changed air filter to k&n cus old one was looking a bit choked   if it helps the mixture screw was set at 2 and a third turns out - sorry for the long post I think my brain hurts and need a lie down lol
Back to top Go down
mally
mally

seafoam ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: seafoam ?   seafoam ? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 7:43 pm

dont you have to rejet when you put k&n filters on
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

seafoam ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: seafoam ?   seafoam ? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 9:48 pm

Yep - I think there is a strong likelihood that you should have re-jetted the carbs when adding the K&N.

A good clue here would be to have a run at high speed then have a look at the spark plugs. They engine is likely to be running lean at high revs, and this should show on the spark plugs - they are likely to be whitish & possibly with a glaze on them. If so - you will need bigger main jets - try your 'supplier' of the K&N air filter. OR do a bit of web research .... such as  is there a Dynajet kit for your bike ? 

The other option is to put a standard filter back on (If you've not binned the old one/housing etc. ) & see if the 'original performance' is restored - which will indicate a problem with the carb set-up when the K&N is used.

Hope that might give you some low cost options to try out.
Back to top Go down
steveydude43
Prospect
steveydude43

seafoam ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: seafoam ?   seafoam ? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 4:44 pm

thanks for the replies I will check plugs the weekend and go from there                I didn't even think about rejetting cus its only a k&n that slips in the airbox and a few years back I did same to a Harley and that was fine but its worth looking into though perhaps its because the Suzuki revs higher than a Harley I don't know            I will let you know what happens     cheers
Back to top Go down
steveydude43
Prospect
steveydude43

seafoam ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: seafoam ?   seafoam ? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2016 6:04 pm

wow ive sorted it out at last .        I put a new stock air filter back in and set the mixture and it absolutely flies now I'm so chuffed , in fact its better than when I bought it       .  I did also end up testing coils and plug caps - coils were fine but resisters in plug caps were a mess and the little springs were rusty so I cleaned them .           not sure if that is what makes it better or air filter but probably both I would presume .        I want to thank you for pointing me in the right direction  I'm so chuffed I joined this site    cheers everyone   -   steve
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

seafoam ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: seafoam ?   seafoam ? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2016 7:57 pm

Glad you got it sorted steve  seafoam ? 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

seafoam ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: seafoam ?   seafoam ? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2016 7:02 am

Steve, I know it's sorted now but do you have stock exhausts or aftermarkets just out of interest ?
Back to top Go down
steveydude43
Prospect
steveydude43

seafoam ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: seafoam ?   seafoam ? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2016 4:47 pm

exhausts are stock        jet sizes 127.5 main and 27.5 pilot    I think a lot of the problem with the k&n was the 2 inlet tubes that fit on the stock filter don't fit on the k&n so I had to leave them off       also I didn't want to rejet so I just put it back to stock filter with inlet tubes back on        I was wondering if anybody else tried a k&n without rejetting ?  if so did you have similar results to mine ?
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

seafoam ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: seafoam ?   seafoam ? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2016 2:43 am

I'm running stock filter, but when I had mine dynoed last year, the guys said that if you fitted a K & N, you'd need to rejet
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

seafoam ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: seafoam ?   seafoam ? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2016 8:19 am

katsd wrote:
I'm running stock filter, but when I had mine dynoed last year, the guys said that if you fitted a K & N, you'd need to rejet
I agree with you Dave, from what I understand, normally you can change either the filter or the exhaust without re-jetting, but not always, it depends on the bike and what you fit. I personally would get it dynoed if I changed the filters, not sure about the exhaust though, if a straight through slash cut then I would but if it was for a fully silenced CE one then probably not.
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

seafoam ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: seafoam ?   seafoam ? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2016 8:30 am

Glad to hear you've got it sorted. sounds like the issue could be one of jetting, or possibly flow - depending on what the 'tubes' you describe from the original installation actually do.

These could affect the airflow into the motor & there should be some advice on this from K&N. I remember that the K&N for the CBR600F - V that I had a few years back had an alternative deflector plate  for inside the air-box and it needed that to run properly.

I know on some other bikes there are adapters than should be fitted with the filter - one of the reasons being that a few years ago K&N seem to have streamlined some of their range, making one filter work for a range of bikes if use with the appropriate adapter/collar/etc. where the general overall filter size was similar.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

seafoam ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: seafoam ?   seafoam ? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2016 8:38 am

Martin's Volusia ran like crap when he fitted a spiked come air filter with stock exhausts until he had it rejetted and set up properly.
Back to top Go down
steveydude43
Prospect
steveydude43

seafoam ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: seafoam ?   seafoam ? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2016 10:20 pm

when I bought the k&n the paperwork with it said no need to rejet but I have a feeling that the paperwork is the same for every filter they sell        if the inlet tubes were able to fit their filter then it might of been ok maybe , but the backing plate ? of their filter is far too thick to accept the tubes     anyway I'm just glad its sorted - thanks everyone  cus without this site id still be stumped   I'm now looking forward to riding it as much as poss
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

seafoam ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: seafoam ?   seafoam ? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2016 2:14 pm

simbo wrote:
 Martin's Volusia ran like crap when he fitted a spiked come air filter with stock exhausts until he had it rejetted and set up properly.
seafoam ? 2215087486 seafoam ? 2164642469
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

seafoam ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: seafoam ?   seafoam ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

seafoam ?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum :: The Garage :: FueI Injection Modules, Fuel, Jetting & Modifications, etc-
Jump to:  
Slide Show
A random selection of suzuki800.com member bikes.
Latest topics
» 12inch apes
seafoam ? Icon_minitimeby Mbroom21 Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:54 pm

» Aye what's happenin'?
seafoam ? Icon_minitimeby 717RedRumBob Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:50 am

» Handle bars rotation for comfort
seafoam ? Icon_minitimeby Badger Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:20 pm

» Hello!
seafoam ? Icon_minitimeby GregWidger Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:16 pm

» Hey to all
seafoam ? Icon_minitimeby alongfortheride Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:41 pm

» Just saying hello as asked... plus a question.
seafoam ? Icon_minitimeby SAM11206 Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:34 pm

» Hello!
seafoam ? Icon_minitimeby Onigatudor Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:39 pm

» Choke plunger
seafoam ? Icon_minitimeby flying1 Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:43 pm

» Hello intruder people
seafoam ? Icon_minitimeby nano Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:19 pm

» Hi from North east England
seafoam ? Icon_minitimeby Brianhuck Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:30 pm

» VX800 - Wiring issue colours & diagram?
seafoam ? Icon_minitimeby Billybop90 Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:44 am

» Looking for a set of Leg wind deflectors for a C50 Boulivard.
seafoam ? Icon_minitimeby Aikido789 Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:11 am

» Saying hello from Cheshire
seafoam ? Icon_minitimeby bernard chaddock Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:58 pm

» ola de portugal
seafoam ? Icon_minitimeby fabio almeida Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:28 am

» Hello from Texas
seafoam ? Icon_minitimeby icoolwecool99@gmail.com Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:47 pm

» VX800 vacuum hose(s) 1996
seafoam ? Icon_minitimeby Billybop90 Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:16 pm

» Chrome Fender Tips - Volusia VL800, Boulevard C50T
seafoam ? Icon_minitimeby SWEET Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:25 pm

» New to the site