Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Synthetic or not?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

Synthetic or not? Empty
PostSubject: Synthetic or not?   Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2017 12:51 pm

On all the bikes and cars i've owned for tens of thousands of miles ive used Castrol GTX semi synthetic car oil with no issues with clutch slip or oil loss in the bikes (car has always used some though).
GTX full synthetic is on offer for £16 for 4 litres, is there any harm at all in switching to it? I've heard rumours not to on higher mileage vehicles as the part synthetic can help block areas which would otherwise begin to leak, its also apparently harsher on seals.
Bike is on 13k, car is on 75k.
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

Synthetic or not? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Synthetic or not?   Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2017 1:14 pm

I have always used Car Oil for Cars and Bike oil for Bikes. Semi for older & higher mileage & fully synthetic for newer or high performance engines. My two Suzuki's are using Shell AX7 Semi (http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-73843-shell-advance-ax7-10w-40-four-stroke-engine-oil.aspx) and the BMW is using Shell Advance Ultra Performance Synthetic Bike Engine Oil (http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69341-shell-advance-ultra-4t-10w-40-performance-synthetic-bike-engine-oil.aspx).
As far as I am aware semi & fully synthetic will mix without any issues, but I personally would not put fully synthetic in the VL and I would definitely would not put car oil in it, but that's me. Car oil has friction additives in it and they are also not designed for the 'shear' forces within a bike engine, but in saying that the VL engine does not rev to 14k so it probably is not an issue.
Back to top Go down
stingray
Very Valued VIP Member
stingray

Synthetic or not? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Synthetic or not?   Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2017 2:18 pm

Personally I only use bike oil in my bikes and would never use car oil. A mate of mine who has a Honda vt 750 Shadow used car oil and the clutch failed in less than 500 miles, repair shop insisted it was the direct result of using car oil.
This is only my personal opinion, everyone has to make thier own decision as to what they think is the best and safest oil to use.
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

Synthetic or not? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Synthetic or not?   Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2017 3:23 pm

stingray wrote:
Personally I only use bike oil in my bikes and would never use car oil. A mate of mine who has a Honda vt 750 Shadow used car oil and the clutch failed in less than 500 miles, repair shop insisted it was the direct result of using car oil.
This is only my personal opinion, everyone has to make thier own decision as to what they think is the best and safest oil to use.

Depends on oil type, any oil branded as energy saving apparently have friction modifiers or something which causes the clutch to slip, but an oil change should eventually stop the slipping once the old oil has worn off the friction plates. Or the clutch was on its last legs anyway and its just coincidence.
Regardless I ran my GZ125, Virago 535, VL800 and now C800 all on GTX semi synth and never had a clutch go bad, or leaks.
But to be on the safe side I think ill stick with GTX semi synth and avoid fully synth since I dont know what oil type the engine was broken in with
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

Synthetic or not? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Synthetic or not?   Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2017 6:38 pm

I use fully synthetic in every one of my vehicles and alway will.
Main thing is to change your oil and filter regularly. All else is secondary.
However - fully synth's protective properties are such that cars and bikes that run it, do not recommend it's use in the running in period - basically as the engine does not 'break in' properly - not enough wear or friction. This gives you an idea of it's lubrication and anti-wear properties - i.e. excellent.

Additionally, it will keep it's grade over a better temperature range, has better anti-shear properties (important as bikes gearboxes run in the engine oil - very harsh environment).
I personally think it is worth the extra money - others do not. To my mind - all vehicles benefit, it is just how much you care about your engine and it's longevity.
Money often talks louder than facts.
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

Synthetic or not? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Synthetic or not?   Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2017 4:55 pm

Bought this in the end

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371317089949?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The old Castrol GTX semi which came out looked fine to be honest, only covered 700 miles or so last year then it sat all winter.
But 5 litres for that price is reasonable since the bike only took 3400ml.
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

Synthetic or not? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Synthetic or not?   Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2017 6:32 pm

thumup
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Synthetic or not? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Synthetic or not?   Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2017 8:21 pm

I used to use that in mine, well up to the job  Synthetic or not? 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Synthetic or not? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Synthetic or not?   Synthetic or not? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Synthetic or not?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum :: The Garage :: Engine, Gears & clutch Maintanance-
Jump to:  
Slide Show
A random selection of suzuki800.com member bikes.
Latest topics
» Hello All,
Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeby Badger Thu May 16, 2024 10:56 pm

» G’day
Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeby Badger Thu May 16, 2024 2:37 pm

» Hi all
Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeby Badger Thu May 16, 2024 2:33 pm

» just saying hello to this site
Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeby sgtruth60@gmail.com Tue May 07, 2024 8:04 pm

Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeby M800chimp Tue May 07, 2024 11:28 am

» 12inch apes
Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeby Mbroom21 Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:54 pm

» Aye what's happenin'?
Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeby 717RedRumBob Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:50 am

» Handle bars rotation for comfort
Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeby Badger Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:20 pm

» Hello!
Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeby GregWidger Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:16 pm

» Hey to all
Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeby alongfortheride Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:41 pm

» Just saying hello as asked... plus a question.
Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeby SAM11206 Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:34 pm

» Hello!
Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeby Onigatudor Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:39 pm

» Choke plunger
Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeby flying1 Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:43 pm

» Hello intruder people
Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeby nano Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:19 pm

» Hi from North east England
Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeby Brianhuck Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:30 pm

» VX800 - Wiring issue colours & diagram?
Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeby Billybop90 Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:44 am

» Looking for a set of Leg wind deflectors for a C50 Boulivard.
Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeby Aikido789 Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:11 am

» Saying hello from Cheshire
Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeby bernard chaddock Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:58 pm

» ola de portugal
Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeby fabio almeida Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:28 am

» Hello from Texas
Synthetic or not? Icon_minitimeby icoolwecool99@gmail.com Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:47 pm

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password