Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Clutch and poor running query

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sachster
Prospect

Clutch and poor running query Empty
PostSubject: Clutch and poor running query   Clutch and poor running query Icon_minitimeFri Jun 23, 2017 11:02 pm

Hi all,

I have just purchased a Roadster that has stood for a couple of years and have a question or two that I wondered if anyone would be able to help me with.

The clutch has no effect - as though it is burned out totally or permanently disengaged - I have no drive at all. Is this a known problem?

Secondly, I am trying to work out why there are four electrical connections to the fuel pump. Are two of those related to the micro-switch on the front carburretor that is activated at full throttle? 

At the moment it only runs on full choke and the only fully on the rear cylinder - the front cylinder is only making the exhaust pipe warm and if I open the choke the engine will not run. I expect the carbs need a clean.

Cheers,

Simon 
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Clutch and poor running query   Clutch and poor running query Icon_minitimeSat Jun 24, 2017 6:52 am

Sorry can't help with your problems. If it's any help,I lived in Bath for many years and there used to be a really knowledgeable mechanic with a small bike shop on the Lower Bristol Road, near Park Tavern in Twerton, I think, but that was a while back. If it were me, I'd go to someone local. Best of luck!
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: Clutch and poor running query   Clutch and poor running query Icon_minitimeSat Jun 24, 2017 6:56 pm

Is the clutch lever loose or does it feel like it should??

Regarding the fuel pump etc, I know the Sachs uses the Suzuki engine but I have no idea if it is wired the same, I had a VX800 and as far as I can remember it did not have a fuel pump. I'm not sure if they did a workshop manual but it maybe worth trying to get one if they did or at least a wiring diagram.

If the bike has been stood a while the jets in the carbs maybe blocked, spark plug knackered, faulty coil, faulty HT lead......... the list is endless as to what the problem could be, you will just have to eliminate one at a time.
Back to top Go down
Sachster
Prospect

PostSubject: Re: Clutch and poor running query   Clutch and poor running query Icon_minitimeSat Jun 24, 2017 9:54 pm

Cheers all,

Carbs cleaned - now all runs perfectly.  Clutch has started working, tho seems to bite late.  I'll persevere and see if it gets better. Just a main beam warning light and it's MoT time. Perfect.
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

PostSubject: Re: Clutch and poor running query   Clutch and poor running query Icon_minitimeSat Jun 24, 2017 10:26 pm

For the clutch - There is a clutch adjustment inside the removable transmission casing where the clutch cable goes into the engine. This is basically similar to a tappet adjuster - a screw with a locknut.
To adjust, first slacken the clutch cable at the handlebars, then undo locknut at engine end and turn screw in till you get 'resistance', then back it of 1/4 turn & retighten locknut. Then re-set cable at handlebar end.  That could help you get a better clutch action.
Back to top Go down
Sachster
Prospect

PostSubject: Re: Clutch and poor running query   Clutch and poor running query Icon_minitimeSun Jun 25, 2017 7:52 am

Thanks OldManYam - the Sachs clutch is irritatingly hydraulic. I'll get inside the case and see if there is adjustment but I suspect not. Not to worry, at least it has now decided to work!
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

PostSubject: Re: Clutch and poor running query   Clutch and poor running query Icon_minitimeSun Jun 25, 2017 3:43 pm

Ooops .... I was assuming it was like the VX800 .... on a cable clutch.

Seeing its hydraulic, I would highly recommend changing the hydraulic fluid as it may well have gone off. Should be done every two years - as should brake fluid.

Hope you \are 'getting there ! .... I nearly went for a Sachs 800 roadster when I was looking for the 'VX', but the seller declined my offer. ..... but later said he would take it .... AFTER I'd found my current VX - So it was not meant to be. It is a nice bioke though (The Sachs).

Cheers

Yam
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clutch and poor running query   Clutch and poor running query Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clutch and poor running query
Page 1 of 1