Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stock M50 Exhaust Modification

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
nathro
Prospect
nathro

Stock M50 Exhaust Modification Empty
PostSubject: Stock M50 Exhaust Modification   Stock M50 Exhaust Modification Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2018 6:25 am

Well, it has been a few weeks since I drilled the first 4 holes in each of the end plates and got a much nicer sound from my stock M50 exhausts! (2008 M50)

I don't get to hear what it sounds like as I'm pulling away though, so I asked my parents for an opinion... LOL.
"It's definitely louder. Sounds a bit like your dad's bike." Dad rides a Honda CMX500. Not happy with that review! Stock M50 Exhaust Modification 437349

So, back to the folks place within the week to do some more work.
Second step...? Remove the end plate and baffle.
Drilled a series (LOTS!) of holes in a circle and joined together. Pull... Pull... Wiggle...? Why wont this move?
It turns out the baffles, which are obviously connected to the end plates, are also welded to the second baffle plate. I can't see where anyone else has mentioned this, but that makes sense because most people bash/drill/pierce through the internal plates before removing the end plates, which would break those welds, and I didn't. So, I've mutilated the first internal plate too to break said welds and remove baffles.
I've filed down the jagged edges of what remained of the end plates, looks great having the end of the pipes gaping rather than looking like peashooters  Rolling Eyes

Sweet, sweet rumble!
But not where close to block your ears loud like some of my friend's bikes  Stock M50 Exhaust Modification 852880

I'm still to remove the first internal plate (what remains of it). Then will move onto the second plate. I plan to leave 100% of the cat intact.

Will work on getting some images, but the camera on my phone's a bit ordinary and the only one I have at the moment...
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Stock M50 Exhaust Modification   Stock M50 Exhaust Modification Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2018 5:18 pm

Only when you remove all plates and cat will you hear the 800 engine in its true splendour! Still bit by bit is the way most modders go. Everything's fine until someone goes past with aftermarket straight through pipes on the same bike and it sounds awesome!  Stock M50 Exhaust Modification 937231058
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Stock M50 Exhaust Modification   Stock M50 Exhaust Modification Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2018 6:42 pm

Yeh aftermarket pipes are the way to go if your after loud pipes mate, nice write up though some pics of your handiwork would be nice  Stock M50 Exhaust Modification 3498837457
Back to top Go down
nathro
Prospect
nathro

PostSubject: Re: Stock M50 Exhaust Modification   Stock M50 Exhaust Modification Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2018 2:42 am

fat intruder wrote:
Yeh aftermarket pipes are the way to go if your after loud pipes mate, nice write up though some pics of your handiwork would be nice  Stock M50 Exhaust Modification 3498837457
Not after really loud pipes, more than happy with how things are going  Very Happy
and yeah, I'll get there with the pics!
Stock M50 Exhaust Modification 2343124779
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Stock M50 Exhaust Modification   Stock M50 Exhaust Modification Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2018 8:36 am

Drill holes in back-plate is about 10% louder but looks a bit naff. Add hole down the middle as far as cat is about 20% louder and deeper but still looks DIY however you can recover back-plate later to hide the work. Remove back-plate completely and debaffle is 30% louder and looks  much better. Remove 1st inner plate is 40% louder. Remove furthest inner plate is 50% louder. By now the back pressure is not so good so adding a lollipop will improve performance. Remove cat is 60% louder. Aftermarket drag pipes (narrow bore/straight through) will give up to 100% louder and nearest to Harley, if that's what you are after! Figures above are my estimations and based on many, many hours modifying 800 pipes. Do search this forum for examples of virtually everything over the last 7 years since the forum was started. It's not rocket science. Most modders start with holes and try aftermarkets at some point. Loud is not always liked by riders or neighbours! Personally I think loud pipes are safer and sound great on custom bikes. The real test is as follows. Park next to a bike you like the sound of. Wait for him to fire up - if you can't hear yours over his idle, it's quieter. Have fun. You are not the first and won't be the last but knowing when to stop is maybe the best advice I can give, if not at all! The Intruders look kick-ass; the quest to make them sound it too is an exciting one. Welcome to the journey!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stock M50 Exhaust Modification   Stock M50 Exhaust Modification Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stock M50 Exhaust Modification
Page 1 of 1