Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Help me please - starting issue.

Go down 
+2
peardrop3
stingray
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Hegel8
Prospect
Hegel8

Help me please - starting issue. Empty
PostSubject: Help me please - starting issue.   Help me please - starting issue. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 5:30 pm

I have a 1994.  New battery, spark plugs, starter solenoid.  Turn the key, everything lights up fine.  Push the start button, cranks but doesn't turn over.  Push the button and turn the throttle, it sounds like it wants to start, cranks, but just can't turn over. 

Please tell me what's wrong.  Thanks.
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Help me please - starting issue.   Help me please - starting issue. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 6:20 pm

not sure what you mean by cranks but wont turn over do you mean you can hear the starter motor but the engine wont turn over?
Back to top Go down
stingray
Very Valued VIP Member
stingray

PostSubject: Re: Help me please - starting issue.   Help me please - starting issue. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 6:31 pm

fat intruder wrote:
not sure what you mean by cranks but wont turn over do you mean you can hear the starter motor but the engine wont turn over?
I'm not sure either, sounds like starter motor or solanoid problem, needs more info !
Back to top Go down
Hegel8
Prospect
Hegel8

PostSubject: Re: Help me please - starting issue.   Help me please - starting issue. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 6:42 pm

stingray wrote:
fat intruder wrote:
I'm not sure either, sounds like starter motor or solanoid problem, needs more info !
Sorry - It turns over, cranks, but is not firing
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Help me please - starting issue.   Help me please - starting issue. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 6:48 pm

awww ok have you checked your HT leads and your spark plugs? are they giving of a good spark?
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Help me please - starting issue.   Help me please - starting issue. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 7:02 pm

sorry just seen you have new spark plugs check your HT leads and connections
Back to top Go down
Hegel8
Prospect
Hegel8

PostSubject: Re: Help me please - starting issue.   Help me please - starting issue. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 10:16 pm

fat intruder wrote:
sorry just seen you have new spark plugs check your HT leads and connections
Any other ideas? They seem to be ok.
Back to top Go down
Hegel8
Prospect
Hegel8

PostSubject: Re: Help me please - starting issue.   Help me please - starting issue. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 10:17 pm

Definitely no spark - ....
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Help me please - starting issue.   Help me please - starting issue. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2018 6:31 pm

how did you come to that decision? that there ok I'm guessing you did more than look at them?   not trying to be funny just the more info people on the site can read the more likely it is that someone will be able to help you out and come up with ideas to fix your problem it's probably something you can fix
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Help me please - starting issue.   Help me please - starting issue. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2018 7:48 pm

You did put the plug wires back to the right coil didn't you???
Back to top Go down
Hegel8
Prospect
Hegel8

PostSubject: Re: Help me please - starting issue.   Help me please - starting issue. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2018 9:19 pm

fat intruder wrote:
how did you come to that decision? that there ok I'm guessing you did more than look at them?   not trying to be funny just the more info people on the site can read the more likely it is that someone will be able to help you out and come up with ideas to fix your problem it's probably something you can fix
I don't take offense and I appreciate the feedback -

The problem actual started last season (last year).  I am fortunate to have a 97 intruder and a 94 intruder.  They were both working fine at the beginning of last season. I did some re-wiring before than because I have ape hangers (on both of them) and put new rear turn signals but it (they, both of them were) working just fine.

Then early on last season I changed the air filters (both of them on both bikes) which include moving wires around and removing the tank.  That's when I started having starting issues on my 94.  I thought to myself that "oh it's just the battery" and shrugged it off and didn't think nothing of it - even though it was a newer battery.  Although I did recharge the battery, it still wasn't starting, but I have my 97 so I just rode that for the rest of the year last year.  But I was getting concerned.

I bought a new battery replaced the coils (which included HT wires) which I bought on ebay.  That didn't do it.  I of course checked the fuses (probably 100 times by now).  I replaced the solenoid.  I've trimmed the HT wires back 1/4 inch and tried to make sure the connectors were tight and close.  My new battery (that I bought just this past May still reads 13.3 V.  I was thinking about replacing the fuel pump but it sounds like its working (when I pull the throttle while trying to start it does make noise).  Spark plugs are replaced with new ones (they get a little wet/oily but maybe because I'm flooding the engine trying to start the bike?)

The thought of looking at my wiring job again makes me sick (because I hate electrical) and staring at my Clymer's manual wiring diagram, but I will do it again hopefully soon- I just thought that since everything is lighting up (including my new turn signals) bright and the engine is turning, fuses OK, I "think" I used my voltmeter properly on all the coils and HT wires (I am going to look up some more YouTube videos for simpler explanation) and snipped them back.  I'll be more than happy to replace the HT wires and hope that is the problem.

Sorry for the long post but I really want to solve this no spark problem.
Back to top Go down
Hegel8
Prospect
Hegel8

PostSubject: Re: Help me please - starting issue.   Help me please - starting issue. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2018 9:20 pm

peardrop3 wrote:
You did put the plug wires back to the right coil didn't you???
I sure did but I will check again.
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Help me please - starting issue.   Help me please - starting issue. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2018 10:19 pm

ok sounds like you have put lots of new bits on your bike it should like that  have you tried starting at the caps that push on to your  spark plugs then working back from there till you find where the current stops (or starts) some times you just have to trace back till you find where the problem is mate
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Help me please - starting issue.   Help me please - starting issue. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2018 10:39 pm

don't mean to sound stupid but did you check the kill switch my bike cut out when I was riding it so I pulled over thinking ohh bollox what's gone wrong only to find I must of caught the switch with my glove flipped it back and of I went bit embarrassing took me about 10minutes to spot it lol  you could also take it apart and check it make sure it's ok I don't know really maybe the side stand switch has your bike got a kill switch there do you need the side stand to be up to start your bike if so check side stand and switch
Back to top Go down
Hegel8
Prospect
Hegel8

PostSubject: Re: Help me please - starting issue.   Help me please - starting issue. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2018 11:48 pm

fat intruder wrote:
don't mean to sound stupid but did you check the kill switch my bike cut out when I was riding it so I pulled over thinking ohh bollox what's gone wrong only to find I must of caught the switch with my glove flipped it back and of I went bit embarrassing took me about 10minutes to spot it lol  you could also take it apart and check it make sure it's ok I don't know really maybe the side stand switch has your bike got a kill switch there do you need the side stand to be up to start your bike if so check side stand and switch
But I thought the bike wouldn't even try to start/turn over if the kill switch is on.....?
Back to top Go down
Hegel8
Prospect
Hegel8

PostSubject: Re: Help me please - starting issue.   Help me please - starting issue. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2018 11:52 pm

fat intruder wrote:
ok sounds like you have put lots of new bits on your bike it should like that  have you tried starting at the caps that push on to your  spark plugs then working back from there till you find where the current stops (or starts) some times you just have to trace back till you find where the problem is mate
I know... but that's what I wanted to avoid.  I'm being lazy, I'll admit it.  I was hoping someone could point out something obvious that I'm missing before I go down that hellhole
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Help me please - starting issue.   Help me please - starting issue. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 5:34 pm

yeh suppose your right if it was kill switch it wouldn't try to start ehhrrmmmm lol sorry not giving the answer you wanted hehe looks like you have to bite the bullet and get in that hell hole my friend if I think of anything else i'll let you know
Back to top Go down
Hegel8
Prospect
Hegel8

PostSubject: Re: Help me please - starting issue.   Help me please - starting issue. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2018 2:49 pm

fat intruder wrote:
yeh suppose your right if it was kill switch it wouldn't try to start ehhrrmmmm lol sorry not giving the answer you wanted hehe looks like you have to bite the bullet and get in that hell hole my friend if I think of anything else i'll let you know
HEY so I thinks the problem is with my spark plug caps.  Do those things go bad?  I pulled out my coils and tested them with my coils and HT cables on and there is nothing showing on my voltmeter.  But I get readings with my coils (coils are good) and had to trim off more from the cables (the cables are good) but when I attach the caps - I get nothing.
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

PostSubject: Re: Help me please - starting issue.   Help me please - starting issue. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2018 9:03 pm

Yes - sounds like you need to check your wiring - initially check the low voltage (12v) supply to the coils, 'cos if ain't getting there you will not get a spark.

The mods you have done could be part of the problem with a possible bad connection or shorting out somewhere. Have you checked all you fuses to see if any have blow .... if o that is likely to be the circuit with the 'problem'. Sometimes a wire can become trapped between other parts an chaff - leading to an earthing out problem/short.

If you are lucky it will be something simple ..... I would double check any modifications you have made to the wiring and make sure any new connections, or splices, are all mechanically and electrically sound, as well as not shorting out anywhere.
Back to top Go down
RAnst4038
RAnst4038

PostSubject: Re: Help me please - starting issue.   Help me please - starting issue. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2018 1:01 pm

Mine acted like this, it was one bad connection in that bag of bullets under the seat. You have to pull every bullet connector apart one at a time. Spray it with contact cleaner & squeeze the female end a little. You can't tell by just pulling on them because the soft clear plastic is designed to stick to its self & make a seal. Help me please - starting issue. 880307
Back to top Go down
Hegel8
Prospect
Hegel8

PostSubject: Re: Help me please - starting issue.   Help me please - starting issue. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2018 6:45 pm

RAnst4038 wrote:
Mine acted like this, it was one bad connection in that bag of bullets under the seat. You have to pull every bullet connector apart one at a time. Spray it with contact cleaner & squeeze the female end a little. You can't tell by just pulling on them because the soft clear plastic is designed to stick to its self & make a seal. Help me please - starting issue. 880307
THANK YOU EVERYBODY - VERY MUCH APPRECIATED SINCERELY - but I think I found the problem!!!!  MY FN Stupid VOLTMETER I bought from HARBOR FREIGHT was defective - the wire just came right out as I was testing my coils and wiring again.  Unbelievable.  Double checked the wiring with a working voltmeter and apparently my HT leads connections were not tight/close enough.  I spent probably $100 or more on parts I probably didn't need.  Going to start it up in about 10 minutes with my fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
Hegel8
Prospect
Hegel8

PostSubject: Re: Help me please - starting issue.   Help me please - starting issue. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2018 8:44 pm

RAnst4038 wrote:
I was wrong, it's still not working and doing the same thing.  I will do what you're saying and hope this has got to be it!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help me please - starting issue.   Help me please - starting issue. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help me please - starting issue.
Page 1 of 1