Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

digital voltmeter on Suzuki M50

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

digital voltmeter on Suzuki M50 Empty
PostSubject: digital voltmeter on Suzuki M50   digital voltmeter on Suzuki M50 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 4:12 pm

Hi tried to fit a digital voltmeter today,but the trouble is when I start the bike up it the meter is very eratic (pulses) all the time.I connected the live wire to the spare live wire in the headlamp bucket,and earthed the unit to ground.With only the ignition on stable 12.6 volts when you start it up it shows around 14.02 volts but will not stay still.I have checked the wiring and the earth all good,am I missing something here,any help would be accepted,thank you.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: digital voltmeter on Suzuki M50   digital voltmeter on Suzuki M50 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 6:59 pm

what volt meter are you using, do we take it that this is an after market piece that stays on the bike?
I just checked my bike out of curiosity on a hand held meter attached to the lead that I have for my battery tender and both the volt meter that I have and my battery tender showed the same voltage that you are putting out at ignition and when at tick over.
I was going to open my headlight bucket and test at the same point that you were attached to, to see if I got the same fluctuation there but her indoors called me in so I am afraid I didn't have time.
Might be worth testing straight on to the battery or fuse block to see if it is a meter issue or a stator issue that is causing the fluctuation.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: digital voltmeter on Suzuki M50   digital voltmeter on Suzuki M50 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 9:19 pm

Cheers Dave will check that tomoz Saturday,just got back in to late to be messing around now.Thanks for the reply.The fluctuation is the digital readout going haywire when the bike starts up and is running,(even on tickover) the actual readings are ok,you can get up to 14.06 I believe when running your engine and no other accessories running,it is an actual motorcycle voltmeter (waterproof) which was going to sit on my handlebars.I have been told it may need surpressing, as we used to do years ago with our radio casettes.(may work )give anything a try.Will keep you informed.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: digital voltmeter on Suzuki M50   digital voltmeter on Suzuki M50 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 1:05 pm

[img]digital voltmeter on Suzuki M50 2011-11-26121624[/img] This is the voltmeter tried it direct to battery the last digit still flashing continuously.With it coming from America waste of time sending it back,it is in the shed hanging up now.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: digital voltmeter on Suzuki M50   digital voltmeter on Suzuki M50 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 4:56 pm

Rather than using it as an ornament it might be still worth fitting it but putting it out of direct eye sight where it will bug you. So that you can just glance at it occasionally for piece of mind and it's not a total loss then.
Just a thought
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: digital voltmeter on Suzuki M50   digital voltmeter on Suzuki M50 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 6:58 pm

Good idea Dave,just peeved off over the fact that it did not work.Like you I like adding parts,I will use it as a guage to check spare batts and the like.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: digital voltmeter on Suzuki M50   digital voltmeter on Suzuki M50 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 7:17 pm

Yeah when something doesn't work out it really bothers me so I know exactly how you feel
Back to top Go down
icetechaus
Valued Member
icetechaus

PostSubject: Re: digital voltmeter on Suzuki M50   digital voltmeter on Suzuki M50 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 10:56 am

Dave take a trip down to your local electronics store and buy a 470uF (microfarad) 25V electrolytic capacitor and connect it across the voltmeter wires, the + is marked on the cap co connect it to the 12V side.

This should slow the rise and fall of the minor fluctuations down to bearable. I am assuming that it is only the decimal places that are jittering.

BTW the spare T connector in the headlight are 12v and gnd so you could just connect into there. It is a fused Aux power.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: digital voltmeter on Suzuki M50   digital voltmeter on Suzuki M50 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 12:18 pm

Hi Ian just read your post will nip to Maplins when I get a chance and try to purchase the capacitor,thanks for your input.I did have it hooked up to the spare T connector but that made it worse all three digits were going mad,when I connected it directly to the battery and run the engine only the last digit was flashing.Will keep you informed of my experience,it is nice to play around with the unknown at times.It is not really needed but I bought it and want it to work now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: digital voltmeter on Suzuki M50   digital voltmeter on Suzuki M50 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

digital voltmeter on Suzuki M50
Page 1 of 1