Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Which Engine Oil do you use?

Go down 
+9
Proudtexson
customerlin
Mr Intruder
simbo
v-twin
katsd
captain crash
pledge
ippikin
13 posters
AuthorMessage
ippikin
ippikin

Which Engine Oil do you use? Empty
PostSubject: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 8:38 pm

I have been looking at the manuals and the engine oil recommended is:

SAE 10w-40, API Grade SF/SG or SH/SJ meeting JASO standard MA

Halfords do a Motorcycle Engine Oil 10w-40 semi-synthetic, which meets API SL standard (a higher one than that specified) but does not say JASO MA on the spec, although on the web they have said it does. The JASO MA standard means it is suitable for wet clutches (does not contain moly lubes that can cause clutch slip).

Does anyone use this oil? Or any recommendations for the exact spec?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
pledge
Valued Member
pledge

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 8:53 am

I have used Halfords motorcycle oil and it seemed fine no problems.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 12:28 pm

I reckon if it says that it got the JASO MA spec on the net description and you have Pledge's recomendation as well then its game on Which Engine Oil do you use? 184121345
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 9:02 pm

Massively late coming into this thread, but it may be of some use for reference purposes.  

I was having some high speed clutch slip & investigated all possibilities - I'm putting it down to clutch wear - the cables almost at the end of it's adjustment at both ends & I think the previous owner was not particularly mechanically sympathetic.

I have been using Halfords Part Synthetic 10/40 Motorcycle Oil so I thought I'd check whether it was suitable.  This was the answer I got back from them 

"Hi Dave

I am contacting you as agreed in our earlier conversation. I have looked into your query regarding our Motorcycle Engine Oil and I can confirm that after checking with Comma who provide our oil that regrettably this doesn't meet JASO MA specification. I can also confirm that our Castrol Motorcycle Oil does meet JASO MB specification"

So it's back to Silkolene or Castrol
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 9:14 pm

This is what I use and my bike has not blown up yet :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shell-Advance-4T-AX7-10w40-Semi-Synthetic-Motorcycle-Engine-Oil-4L-Litre-/231275613074?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35d919cb92
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 9:22 pm

Interesting that they're (Halfords) selling it as 'Motorcycle' oil when it doesn't meet the recommended standards? Also interesting that it's re-branded from Comma to Halfords and probably twice the price.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 11:46 pm

I never use anything other than Silkolene, it's the only oil my bikes will ever get.
I am shocked at the despicable way Halford's have acted. Which Engine Oil do you use? 2917598063 Which Engine Oil do you use? 122716118
Back to top Go down
customerlin
customerlin

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 9:40 am

I changed to synthetic after asking to Castrol page:

CASTROL MOTOR OIL 10W50 RACING 4T, FULLY-SYNTHET

They said that this is the best for my bike
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 10:41 am

I may be forgetting my facts on this one, but years ago, I was told that if you'd been running your bike for any period on semi, you shouldn't move onto a full synthetic as it could cause damage.  I was also told that a full synthetic was really only necessary for a high-revving sports bike & a low-revving plodder was fine with semi.
Back to top Go down
customerlin
customerlin

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 10:56 am

The recomendation is not to change directly from organic to full synthetic, you must use semi-synthetic first

I changed to full synthetic by the manufacturer recomendation

A lot of people is using this oil in custom bikes instead of they are not sports bikes. That's only an advice of the manufacturer, he said that the engine last longer. There is not really a high difference in the daily driving just because you change from one oil to other

Here you can find the recomended oil for your vehicle in UK

Castrol Oil Recomendation

I was recomended 10w-50 instead of 10w-40 because I asked in the Spanish web of Castrol. The diffecence is because the weather is hottest in Spain
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 12:04 pm

Fully synthetic may be suggested by some as unnecessary, due to not revving extremely high. However it is better, I would rather have something that was classed as unnecessary, than something that is not up to the job that I want it to do. I would rather have something better than I need.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 12:16 pm

So are you using full synth Dave ?

Last edited by katsd on Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Proudtexson
VIP Member
Proudtexson

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 1:25 pm

I have used Mobil 1 15/50 synthetic since new. The engine runs quieter and the transmission shifts with less klung. Here in Texas where the temp can get to 100F are more I think the 15/50 is better. I don't know if Mobil 1 is available in the UK.
 I am like Dave I would rather be over protected than go on the cheap and destroy an engine. In fact I should be able to run it a longer time but I change it more often than I need to.
 It's just money and made to spend.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 2:01 pm

Yes Dave, always a fully synthetic ester based oil. I use 'SILKOLENE PRO 4 PLUS', it's the dogs dogsb.
I ma also with Tex that I change my oil more regularly than suggested. Yes Tex we do got mobile over here & I think that is also a brilliant oil.

Last edited by Mr Intruder on Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 2:06 pm

Can I ask Dave - is that Silkolene Comp 4 or Comp 4 SX ?
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 5:32 pm

After MENTAL amounts or research I finally went for VALVOLINE 4T DURABLEND synth which meets all the wet clutch requirements api:sg jaso:ma. been using it in all my bikes for the past 3 years, as per previous statements yes its built for "RACING" bikes but that just means it exceeds what we as normal riders need, ergo our engines will run smoother and last longer than those using el cheapo oil, and the difference in price is nominal.
NOW if you are talking about the 6 litres of oil needed in order to service a modern bmw, then yes the pennies add up!! But I would still use the best there is.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 6:02 pm

katsd wrote:
Can I ask Dave - is that Silkolene Comp 4 or Comp 4 SX ?
Silkolene Comp 4, never read up on the SX.
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 7:13 pm

I change my oil once a year, I actually do very little mileage. For me any oil that meets the minimum recommendations is fine, cheaper the better. I once used high grade oil but due to how much riding I do over a year, it doesn't seem viable
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 8:48 pm

Is there any truth in that using Fully Synthetic oil it quietens the top end down a little?, I've always used Semi so never really compared the two.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 8:57 pm

No idea myself on that one Sim, can't recall the last time I used anything other than fully synthetic in anything other than my lawn mower. I have heard that many times through out the years but never from anywhere that makes me sit up and really listen.
I must say though, regular oil changes are the key factor to any engine. I would rather buy an engine that has had very regular oil changes of cheapo oil than a bike that had a great quality oil that has been left to long.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 9:20 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
 I would rather buy an engine that has had very regular oil changes of cheapo oil than a bike that had a great quality oil that has been left to long.

Wise words  Which Engine Oil do you use? 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Proudtexson
VIP Member
Proudtexson

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 9:43 pm

Which Engine Oil do you use? 996187811   Which Engine Oil do you use? 2215087486 Which Engine Oil do you use? 2215087486
Back to top Go down
Lowey
Valued Member
Lowey

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 10:28 am

katsd wrote:

"Hi Dave

I am contacting you as agreed in our earlier conversation. I have looked into your query regarding our Motorcycle Engine Oil and I can confirm that after checking with Comma who provide our oil that regrettably this doesn't meet JASO MA specification. I can also confirm that our Castrol Motorcycle Oil does meet JASO MB specification"

It seems very strange that Comma do not produce their motorcycle oil to the recommended requirement of the motorcycle manufacturers.
Back to top Go down
customerlin
customerlin

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 10:36 am

ippikin wrote:
I have been looking at the manuals and the engine oil recommended is:

SAE 10w-40, API Grade SF/SG or SH/SJ meeting JASO standard MA
If SL is bigger than SF/SJ it is ok with Suzuki recommentation as it is only requiried the Japanise JASO MA in case the oil is SH/SJ
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 6:15 pm

So my next question (stupid or not) - is it OK to top up semi-synthetic with full synthetic ?
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 7:03 pm

Simple answer...Yes so long as you are topping up with better will cause no problems.
I assume you have already dosed your bike with zx1!!!!
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 8:19 pm

I use the same as Dave, silkolene  oil have done for a long time on different bikes although I use the semi synthetic
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 8:38 pm

Mixing them is ok by me, I'm sure others will disagree.
Back to top Go down
customerlin
customerlin

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2015 7:13 am

I think there is not problem mixing semi and full, but full synthetic loose it properties in benefit of inorganic components of semi-synthec that are in a bigger ratio of mixture

Anyway you can mixed them as a way of upgrade from once to the other
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2015 9:08 pm

I'll be getting some Silkolene 4 in then
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2015 9:30 pm

Isn't semi synthetic a mixture of mineral and synthetic oil. if it is that must mean that they all can be mixed?
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2015 10:04 pm

Exactly!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which Engine Oil do you use?   Which Engine Oil do you use? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which Engine Oil do you use?
Page 1 of 1