Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ippikin
ippikin

heated grips - Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800 Empty
PostSubject: Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800   heated grips - Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 2:27 pm

Have just finished installing some Symtec heated grips pads on the Suzy http://www.windingroads.co.uk/shop/product.php/116/symtec-motorcycle-heated-grip.......... I would thoroughly recommend them as an easy project. There are 2 self-adhesive heat pads (one marked throttle and the other clutch) which you install underneath your existing grips. The "CLutch" one has a higher resistance then the "Throttle" one and so will get hotter relatively..... this is cleverly to allow for the fact that the clutch one will be stuck to the metal of the handlebar and the throttle one to plastic.

1. Remove bar end weights (see other thread!!) and existing grips by running a long screwdriver underneath and squirting WD40 through the red tube up under the grip. Work the screwdriver round a bit and the grips just slide off!
2. Clean and degrease the handlebar (clutch side) and throttle tube ...... this was ridged on my bike so I filed the ridges down somewhat to allow the heated pad to stick better.
3. Offer up the heated pads and stick them round making sure the wires are in the right place; I found 9 o'clock on the clutch side and 3 o'clock on the throttle side was OK; bear in mind that the throttle wires will move with the twist grip so you will need to leave a loop of wire.
4. When you're happy, spray the grips with firm hold hairspray (I used ASDA's own) and slide the grips back on. There is a chrome collar that fits on first on both my grips.... also make sure you put the grips back on the right way round. The hairspray sets after a while and it seems perfectly fixed to me. (It also means that you can remove the grips again without any hassle if you need to). Re-install bar-end weights.
5. The kit comes with a nice round rocker switch marked H / Off / L and the only place I could find to mount it was in the L steering column cover (see photo). Needs a 20mm hole.
6. Route the wires from the heated pads neatly to the switch area
7.The power feed will come off the 12v 10A fused power outlet in the headlight (see other thread) ..... I have just put some spade terminals on the end of a old twin core wire I had which will plug into this connector. Run this wire back to the space between the steering column covers and to the switch area.
8. I have spliced and soldered the earth wires of the heated pads and the negative wire from the headlight power outlet together
9. Wire the switch as per instruictions provided using the piggy-back connectors provided.
10. Tidy up, plug in and hey presto! warm hands!!

Having previously tried to fit some Bike-It Custom heated grips, getting the throttle one stuck and having to cut it off with much cursing, this system seems very easy and adaptable. Taken it for a 30 mile ride just now and they're great!

I'm also pleased that the only irreversible thing that I have done is to drill one 20mm hole in the steering column cover.

heated grips - Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800 DSC01513

heated grips - Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800 DSC01512

heated grips - Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800 DSC01509

heated grips - Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800 DSC01508-1
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800   heated grips - Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 4:17 pm

Excellent write up Grob, great detail heated grips - Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800 996187811
Back to top Go down
doobie
Valued Member
doobie

PostSubject: Re: Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800   heated grips - Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 7:03 pm

sounds like a good idea, and a easy installation think i'll order myself a set
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800   heated grips - Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 7:27 pm

ippikin wrote:
spray the grips with firm hold hairspray (I used ASDA's own)
Oh well seeing as you have recomended it, I'll let the Mrs know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,heated grips - Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800 2740622253 heated grips - Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800 3213823784

Seriously tho' excellent job done and a very well explained read heated grips - Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800 3203236809 heated grips - Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800 881924
Back to top Go down
doobie
Valued Member
doobie

PostSubject: Re: Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800   heated grips - Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 6:13 pm

just fitted them now me hands will be toastie worm.........
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800   heated grips - Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 6:27 pm

Thats the good thing about members doing such good write ups, it encourages others heated grips - Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800 3498837457
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800   heated grips - Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 7:06 pm

These are so easy to fit that if a guy wants the blingy grips as well they could have them on during the spring summer and autum and swap out for the toastie ones during the winter
Back to top Go down
ippikin
ippikin

PostSubject: Re: Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800   heated grips - Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 9:50 pm

doobie wrote:
just fitted them now me hands will be toastie worm.........

Les, did you put the switch in the same place?
Back to top Go down
doobie
Valued Member
doobie

PostSubject: Re: Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800   heated grips - Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 9:11 am

got to be honest ive not fitted the switch yet just pluged it all in to check it all works plus it was fekkin freezing in my garage, but have had a good look around it looks like the only place suitable. did you remove your tank to get the panel off, or is there another way?
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800   heated grips - Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 10:48 am

Side cover has 2 lugs on the side that push in to rubber gromets and another one on the top the tank dont need to be touched pull the cover out side ways first then when its loose lift it up and out
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800   heated grips - Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 12:10 pm

doobie wrote:
did you remove your tank to get the panel off, or is there another way?

As crash says, no need but when you put it back on either grease or WD the side lug as I have found it some times will push the grommet out when dry.
heated grips - Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800 IMG_0253
Back to top Go down
doobie
Valued Member
doobie

PostSubject: Re: Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800   heated grips - Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 12:13 pm

all sorted now and thanks, fitted it in situ with a very steady hand
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800   heated grips - Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Symtec Heated Grips Fitted To VZ800
Page 1 of 1