Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;(

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( Empty
PostSubject: I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;(   I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 10:38 pm

They sound great and look good don't get me wrong, but the top pipe that comes out of the rear head sticks out more than the standard pipe and every time i go out my jeans touch it and it puts burn marks on the pipe (not to mention my tackle)...and if thats not anoying enough the baffles keep coming loss to the point i nearly loss one after only 50 miles between tightening up, i have now put a new nut and bolt in them with a locking nut...if you get them or already have them i would do the same...im sure someone else nearly loss one on here !!!.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;(   I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 10:47 pm

In this pic of the standard pipes ,this is were the Highways stick out and touch my jeans

I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( M800111
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;(   I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 11:12 pm

Blues had to put some heat shields on his because of that
I tremendous to use spring washers on most stuff that has any vibration involved and been lucky with that over the years
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;(   I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 12:15 am

Thanks Crash I'm sure he will sort this problem out, after all he is the oracle on exhausts I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( 1710857839 .
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;(   I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 8:22 pm

Yep those pipes get very hot. Here's my curved heat shield:

I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( DSCN20742

Never get any probs with trousers now.

My boots mark the bottom pipe but just clean it off - you could fit a straight heat shield here. The pipes are a bit unequal in length by about 5mm on my pipes. Just the way it is I suppose - small price to pay for awesome sound! Anyway, here is the link to all the banter on here a while back. Link

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;(   I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 8:54 pm

Thanks John I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( 433968 I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( 184121345
Back to top Go down
Bunso Steel
Valued Member
Bunso Steel

PostSubject: Re: I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;(   I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 8:55 pm

I'm the same with mine now, the sound is awesome, and I have no complaints there, except maybe it being too loud. I spent £300 on new gear at getgeared on saturday and on sunday melted a hole straight through it at the same point on the top exhaust pipe, which is fecking annoying, but thats what I get for buying textile instead of leather.

Aside from that, they are starting to rust up already and the chrome is yellow on the bends in the pipe. I know the chrome will discolour over time but it has happened quicker than I'd hoped and im sure its down to the extreme temperature the pipes reach. I also feel that the bike has lost power once I fitted them, which is quite dissapointing.

Im starting to miss the qualities of the original pipes but I dont want to refit them after I spent a fair sum of money on these and the hassle of fitting them, and I do like the exhaust sound lots

I may well get one of those heatshields that you reccomend, and give my exhaust another chance.
Back to top Go down
Bunso Steel
Valued Member
Bunso Steel

PostSubject: Re: I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;(   I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 9:00 pm

Also, peter it was me who lost the baffle, (and luckily found it not far away). I temporarily put a slightly longer bolt on the inside of the pipe facing down and outwards, so it couldn't drop out, even if it rattled loose.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;(   I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 10:12 pm

I love the look and sound off the pipes to mate, when i got them he did say"they are not proper double walled and may discolor so i was told,,,I'm going to get the heat shield "blues" has because i love the look,but if they discolor to much I'm going to wrap them,,,they are still good pipes and in my opinion good value for money ...they do call me Victor meldrew
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;(   I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 11:45 pm

Joe you mention loss of power since fitting those exhaust, Mr I went into depth on that in a recent post on the lollipop thread you might find interesting
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;(   I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 12:42 am

My pipes have definitely gone discoloured around the header but it can be cleaned. Wrapping is a possibility but I have read you can damage the engine with too much heat caused by wrapping - so I'm not quite sure here. As for the power - well I must admit my pipes seem to be getting better every day! They must be nice and lined with carbon inside and seem to be 'maturing'. Leaving the baffles out does reduce back pressure and torque. As for too loud - this can easily be remedied with stove rope wrapped around the baffles and tied with wire before refitting.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;(   I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 1:58 am

Blues with a short straight through pipe wrapping the could never cause enough held back heat to do engine damage. Apart from that the reason that people wrap pipes is because air that is held at a higher temperature flows away faster
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;(   I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 7:56 am

agree with cc the exhaust gasses stay hotter and dont start to lose there heat as they travel down the pipe and as a result of this flow better (faster) and some say can improve performance
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;(   I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 9:18 pm

Then wrapping would be a good option. I think they would look better wrapped on the M800 models with the blacked out engine bits but with more chrome like the C800, not so good unless of course the wrapping is white (and stays white). I love drag style bikes with black wrapped pipes - look mean and kick ass! But then again when chrome is nicely polished.......................

I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( 123721
Back to top Go down
Bunso Steel
Valued Member
Bunso Steel

PostSubject: Re: I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;(   I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 11:13 pm

Cheers CC will check out that thread

You are right Peter, they were good value for money, heatshield seems like the way forward
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;(   I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 11:44 pm

I went out again today lads .done about 150 miles, and yet again burn marks in the same place (on the bend), i tried to clean it but it seems to have discolored the chrome this time (yellow). doffo guna put a shield on before it gat worse I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( 3733855290 here i come I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( 123721 .
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;(   I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 7:34 am

peter perfect wrote:
I went out again today lads .done about 150 miles, and yet again burn marks in the same place (on the bend), i tried to clean it but it seems to have discolored the chrome this time (yellow). doffo guna put a shield on before it gat worse I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( 3733855290 here i come I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( 123721 .

Heat shields are the way! I agree the marks are difficult to clean - I have tried everything from Autosol to oven cleaner but the best is WD 40 on wire wool (will dull/yellow the pipes a bit if done too much). With the heat shield it looks ok all the time. Probably needs one on the lower pipe as well - mine are getting pretty marked from my boots. Highway Hawk do a straight one I think. If anyone finds any other for the bottom pipe, I'd be interested. As for the curved cover, the perforated one could look quite natty - I sometimes look at mine and wonder if it looks too bulbous but it does the job brilliantly (you could soon have to buy new textile trousers without one (leather stands up better and denims...ouch!)
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;(   I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 11:37 am

Bluesman wrote:
I think they would look better wrapped on the M800 models with the blacked out engine bits but with more chrome like the C800, not so good unless of course the wrapping is white

I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( 123721
I think that that black wrap on the C800 with shorties would still look good but I would leave the last 3 or 4 inches of the pipe unwrapped.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;(   I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;( Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I'm not that impressed with my Highway Hawk sort cut exhaust ;(
Page 1 of 1