Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket

Go down 
+2
tufftaff
Bunso Steel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Bunso Steel
Valued Member
Bunso Steel

Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket Empty
PostSubject: Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket   Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 5:29 pm

Currently fitting the shortcut exhausts to my bike, removed the old exhaust mount, but the new bracket won't line up with the holes. you can get 2 of the holes screwed in, but the other hole will be out of line by a few mils (see picture). Am I missing something here and being totally thick, or do you think this is a poorly made peice?

https://i.servimg.com/u/f42/17/22/69/15/img_6011.jpg
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket   Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 7:06 pm

I had the same problem fitting mine but eventually did get them to fit without any modification. I loosly fitted each bolt but it took about ten attempts. (i did think the holes were in the wrong place too)

There is very lttle tolerance in my experience, they seem to leave very little room to insert the bolts, but you may have a dodgy bracket. Good luck!!!
Back to top Go down
Bunso Steel
Valued Member
Bunso Steel

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket   Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 8:19 pm

Thankyou mate, I'll have another crack at it tomorow. We were doing it outside on the patio and the light was fading, so its all under a tarp for the night. I really had a go at it every which way I could, but its always just one 2 or 3 milimetres out. If I can't get it to work, I'll drop metriccruisers an email and see if they have ever had any problems with the manufacturing of those brackets.

Thanks for the quick reply Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket 433968
Back to top Go down
tufftaff
tufftaff

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket   Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 3:23 am

What Peter said !!!! It's bit of a fiddle but fit loosely with the 3 bolts just done up a couple of turns then tighten and it will fit. Also had a problem with overspray clogging some of the threads so either run a tap through or run an old bolt through with some copaslip to make sure you don't strip the threads -they are a very tight fit.
Back to top Go down
Bunso Steel
Valued Member
Bunso Steel

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket   Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 10:40 am

Thanks Rob, I'm gonna give it another try today. We were trying to fit all three bolts in loosly before tightening it up, but really couldn't get them in, it just seems to be out a little too much. If we did force it, it would strip the screws for certain because they would be pull inwards at quite an angle, as you can probably see from the picture. My mate reckons he can squish the bracket slightly in a big vice, and flatten that angled edge by a milimetre or so which should give that last hole enough clearance to fit the bolt in.

Thanks for replying Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket 3005623951
Back to top Go down
Bunso Steel
Valued Member
Bunso Steel

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket   Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 4:11 pm

Second attempt today, got it fitted. The bracked went on, but very very tightly. I sent an email to metric cruisers asking for advice, and I got a reply saying that I had put the bracket on the wrong way round! I'm sure this is the only way it fits.

The pipes sound great, I took a quick video which I will upload at some point. The engine timing seems to be a little out on high revs, and I had a couple of backfires on the first test ride but aprt from that all seems to be smooth as a babies bum.

Thanks for your advice
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket   Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 7:14 pm

Bunso Steel wrote:
The engine timing seems to be a little out on high revs, and I had a couple of backfires on the first test ride...

It seems to need a few burps and farts fefore the bike adjusts. I still get the odd backfire but only occasionally and very small - with the baffles out you would notice it more.
Back to top Go down
Bunso Steel
Valued Member
Bunso Steel

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket   Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 10:49 pm

Cheers John. Went for a short test ride this afternoon, all seemed ok, except when I got to my destination the bike seemed a wee bit louder than it was when I set off. So I took a quick peek down the tubes and sure enough, I was minus one baffle. Found it in the same car park, forcibly ejected from the exhaust. Somehow the screw had rattled loose or broken or something. So now I only have one baffle in and it is ridiculously loud. I ride a lot at night so the noise level is totally unacceptable, and the engine feels a bit dodgy now cos one cylinder has more pressure than the other. Need to find a replacement screw fast so I can get to work tomorow morning!
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket   Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 9:43 am

Cor you were lucky to find the baffle Joe at least its a very simple fix

Some pics of the bike here all done would be nice
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket   Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 10:41 am

Hi Joe sorry to hear about your baffle,glad you found it.When you renew it dont forget to locktight both screws on both exhausts so it does not happen again.(Joys of motoring) so they say.
Back to top Go down
Bunso Steel
Valued Member
Bunso Steel

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket   Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 1:11 pm

Thanks guys, yeah I was extremely lucky that it didn't fly out while I was on the dual-carriageway and smack some car behind me. I will use some threadlock or something similar to make sure they stay in. For the time being I have found an extra long bolt to replace it which I have used a small nut on the inside of the pipe to stop it rattling loose. I will upload some pics of the completed job once I have managed to polish off the black marks where the exhaust has melted my leg. Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket 410694
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket   Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 6:13 pm

Bunso Steel wrote:
I will upload some pics of the completed job once I have managed to polish off the black marks where the exhaust has melted my leg. Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket 410694

lol! Thats exactly the same thing that happened to the Bluesman when he fitted his, he fiited a guard
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket   Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 6:29 pm

Central heating on a bike can't beat it.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket   Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 7:16 pm

Crickey Joe you were fortunate not to loose that, not so fortunate to melt yourself to the bike but at least you can say your at one with the bike Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket 852880
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket   Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 10:13 pm

Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket 1530558013to the 'short cut club'! You seem to be learning the 'joys' of new pipes very quickly! Yes, without baffles they are loud!! Glad you got a new screw sorted. The burning can be a problem - these pipes are single walled so get very hot. Here is a link to my heat shield mod:

LINK

I still get a little burning on the bottom pipe from boots but that is easy to clean off. On the whole it's worth suffering the heat to live with such lovely pipes (honest!) They will mellow a bit as the insides get sooty. You will also soon be cleaning soot from the rear frame - no big deal - just another feature of belonging to the club.

TIP - if you want to reduce the sound drastically for a short distance eg arriving/leaving home/work - try my simple instant baffle mod:

Make up 2 lengths of wooden baton that can be pushed in the baffles (paint black) and you can ride a short distance with near stock sound level. Then remove and put in pocket for the rest of the journey. Similarly when returning put them in a short distance away. The heat is not a problem for a short distance and they will stay in if pushed hard. I use them for early morning departures. very low tech but effective nevertheless.

For longer, quieter rides you will need my 'stove rope mod'

I don't use the quiet mods any more - I just bought a quiter bike for those times. But that is a bit drastic!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket   Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Highway Hawk Shortcut exhaust bracket
Page 1 of 1