Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

* Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *

Go down 
+5
alfie92
fat intruder
captain crash
simbo
Mr Intruder
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

* Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Empty
PostSubject: * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *   * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 5:14 pm

Alfies recent exploits in to a home made side mounted number plate LINK had me thinking about a similar mod on my C800 but with a tail chop as well.
What I was thinking was that if I chopped and shaped the rear mudguard in line with the rear light About 3" below the tail light, exposing the rear tyre & added a 7" side mounted plate this could look rather nice.
So my question is, what do you guys think? I really could do with some input on this one as when I start chopping it will be late to say oh shite I wish I hadn't done that.

Here is what I have in mind, excuse the dodgy pic * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * 2740622253 * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * 3213823784

* Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Untitled-6

Last edited by Mr Intruder on Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *   * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 5:40 pm

Wait!!!!!!! I'll take a photo of mine from the rear from low down,Then get Jo to edit the photo to see what it would look like (she's good at that sort of thing), what you thinking for the indicators ?
I think it might look odd with having a flared front fender or would you do them both.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *   * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 5:52 pm

Cheers Sim, as you can see I was trying to do a dodgy pic mock up myself and was editing my original post while you were posting without realising

It would be great to see something that actually looks like I really want though, my effort looks kind of stupid * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * 852880
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *   * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 6:35 pm

I like it. looks really good. * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * 3322349030

I read all the suzuki web sites and have not seen it done like that before, Another 1st for Suzuki800.com * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * 1218875559

We got a mention on one of the big American sites in the week but I can't remember which one or what it was about * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * 880307

Make it happen Mr I, I reckon it's a goer * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * 184121345
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *   * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 6:54 pm

simbo wrote:
what you thinking for the indicators ?
No idea yet to be honest but they will be there somewhere.

captain crash wrote:
I like it. looks really good. * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * 3322349030 Make it happen Mr I, I reckon it's a goer * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * 184121345
I am 90% sure it's going to happen Crash but I need to be 100% sure and have everything worked out before it actually does goes ahead.

I have just been looking at the bike again and have started to think that a less shaped cut would look better. I guess it's just one of those things that needs a lot of thought before the Dremmell comes out to play.
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *   * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 8:06 pm

i think cut it strait or with just a little curv at the sides but its hard to say as theres not a photo of what it looks like now from strait on and angle of rear if your going to cut sum of why limit yourself to were the tail light is (stock light) if your going to be changeing the rear end have you thought about replaceing the tail light with something different theres some nice lights out there although its still hard to find something you like and that will look good (in your mind its your bike) and fit in with the rest of your bike iv found a head light and tail light that i will be getting for my bike but am still unsure about the indecators i will be fitting allthough iv narrowed it douwn to about three types and i cant by them till i get my insureance pay out wich will be a while yet . at the end of the day (its night time) its yor bike dave do what you like the look of and that will make you happy its taken me about 2 months of lookin to find lights so on i like and im still only about 95 persent sure i plan on doing some pouwder coating as well to parts on my bike (changeing the coulor skeem) and have been since i got the bike and im still makeing slight tweeks in my minds eye to what will be done but iv allways knowen ill have to wait for my pay out before i do stuff to my bike so im in no rush wich is a good thing when its done its done take your time when your happy go for it good luk mate and all the best with your project
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *   * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 8:31 pm

Tried but difficult software to use and would only save as a thumbnail,should get the general idea though, hopefully
* Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * 2de0a01d5d68bdd954312068a061e779-1
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *   * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 10:18 pm

Dave the idea is good,but (there's always a but) think about it, I think you will loose the classic lines you have now,with it being a c800 as apposed to a m50.Just a thought cant you get hold of a redundant rear fender from a breakers yard or off ebay and try it out first,it may work out cheaper.The indicators should be easy there are loads out there,or get intergated ones with the back light,go the the full hog and modify the full back,you will not be happy till you do,always have in mind the resale value,what you like will not appeal to all so your market dwindles.Good luck on your mission Dave,one thing is for sure whatever you decide will work out well.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *   * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 10:38 pm

alfie92 wrote:
Dave the idea is good,but (there's always a but) think about it, I think you will loose the classic lines you have now,with it being a c800 as apposed to a m50.Just a thought

* Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * 428386 Stock C800 rear mudguard is a nice piece of design work. I love the chopped look on the M800 - suits the bike more IMO. However I really like the idea of a side mounted plate - just the legality of size which is a fly in the ointment - plod is really pushing this.
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *   * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 11:02 pm

nice bit of work simbo
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *   * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 7:41 am

simbo wrote:
Tried but difficult software to use and would only save as a thumbnail,should get the general idea though, hopefully
Thanks for that Sim, it helps me think about the job in more detail.

fat intruder wrote:
if your going to cut sum of why limit yourself to were the tail light is (stock light) if your going to be changeing the rear end have you thought about replaceing the tail light with something
different

I have replaced the rear light already, that is not the original & I like the big light which I know is not to everyone's taste.

alfie92 wrote:
Dave the idea is good,but (there's always a but) think about it, I think you will loose the classic lines you have now,with it being a c800 as apposed to a m50.Just a thought cant you get hold of a redundant rear fender from a breakers yard or off ebay and try it out
first,it may work out cheaper.The indicators should be easy there are loads out there,or get intergated ones with the back light,go the the full hog and modify the full back,you will not be happy till you do,always have in mind the resale value,what you like will not appeal to all so your market dwindles.Good luck on your mission Dave,one thing is for sure whatever you decide will work out well.

I think that is a good idea with regards getting a mudguard second hand but I don't want to pay silly money just to chop it & see. Although I love the bike in general, I have never actually been a great fan of either the front or rear mudguards as a whole. Working out how I would rather they be has never been something I could put my finger on though.
Resale value is not an issue as I will not be selling the bike for many years to come, even when I buy another big bike as I still have lots of plans for this bike.

I know the rear end is going to change and I know there will be some chopping involved. I know it will be somewhere in line with my original idea, I just don't know how close to it it will be. Thats where this thread will help me because I will probably come back to this many many times & contemplate what has or sometimes what has not been said.
I am normally pretty good at getting an idea and then changing it in my minds eye a few times before acting on it. One thing is for sure I will not do anything until I am 100% sure it will look right.
I have already decided due to the comments on here that the chop however that may be, will be lower then originally planned.
Any input on this idea really is welcomed, good or bad * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * 3498837457
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *   * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 3:07 pm

sorry should of gest the rear light was different its got a clear lenz for starters but it kind of looked like its always been there (in keeping with the bike)
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *   * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 9:43 pm

I think it looks * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * 3039991824 ! But I would worry about cutting it absolutely right - especially with a curve. Then what do you do with the raw edge? Sand/sand/sand/sand till smooth? I cant ever imagine getting rid of my 800 - but if you did, I think it's the type of mod which could affect resale. Sorry Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *   * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 8:40 am

fat intruder wrote:
sorry should of gest the rear light was different
its got a clear lenz for starters but it kind of looked like its always
been there (in keeping with the bike)
Hey now worries mate, when I asked for opinions I meant it. If you think an alternative light is needed then I do actually want to know that & will consider it, whether I act on it or not is another matter. * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * 3498837457

bigmal wrote:
I think it looks * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * 3039991824 ! But I would worry about cutting it absolutely right - especially with a curve. Then what do you do with the raw edge? Sand/sand/sand/sand till smooth? I cant ever imagine getting rid of my 800 - but if you did, I think it's the type of mod which could affect resale. Sorry Embarassed
Getting the shape symmetrical is actually the easy bit, getting the right shape in the right place is the hard bit.
The finish would be done with a chrome trim, the same as I have on my tank.
Any resale loss is not a consideration.
Back to top Go down
twinny68
twinny68

PostSubject: Re: * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *   * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 9:01 am

i like the idea and think it would work with the m800 rear end just have to be sure then go for it if it dont work can always change it back by buying a second hand rear end
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *   * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 9:08 am

I will not go for it until I am 100% sure. However like you say, if I end up not liking it I can always buy another one.
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *   * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 10:32 am

if you go for the rear change (chop) think id probaly go for some sort of change to the front mud gaurd aswell
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *   * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 8:10 pm

Yes I wondered about the sanded edge - but the chrome trim is a good idea. If I did it I would probably keep it that way - once you commit to a mod you have obviously thought it through and should be happy with the result. I have often wished I had a side number plate. I nearly bought a light to do the job one Saturday night in June last year at M&P - they had number plate l.e.d. in the bargain bin for £5.....I thought I might go back for that on Monday morning.... 6 hours later was the fire that destroyed everything!!
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *   * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 7:05 am

Blues, plastic is very easy to deal with in respect to finishing. Although I will probably put chrome edging on, a good finish can easily be had without it, in the same way that I have with my Clear plastic hand guards. All that is needed is to sand down and the run a blow torch over the edge and a nice smooth silky edge is the result.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *   * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 5:08 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
Blues, plastic is very easy to deal with in respect to finishing. Although I will probably put chrome edging on, a good finish can easily be had without it, in the same way that I have with my Clear plastic hand guards. All that is needed is to sand down and the run a blow torch over the edge and a nice smooth silky edge is the result.

Yes I sometimes run plastic over a calor camping flame but a torch sounds a bit more useful.
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *   * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 7:39 pm

many on the site have allready seen this im gessing you includid dave but if you type in suzuki c800 pictures theres a bike on there thats had the the back changed and hes taken of the front mudgaurd (and other stuff changed ) the bike looks cool oohhh and theres quite a few members bikes on there aswell
Back to top Go down
Freemo
Freemo

PostSubject: Re: * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *   * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 11:34 pm

Dave, check out Blue Collar Bobbers in the States. They do kits for your bike (not sure on cost) that look really nice and as far as I can see everything is bolt on so no chopping involved. Maybe you can even buy individual parts from them?
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *   * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 6:33 pm

As I am always looking at possible rear end mods I came across this chopped 800 & I thought it was pretty cool.

* Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Suzuki8
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *   * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 6:51 pm

That is one nice looking bike ! * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * 210272711
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *   * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 10:31 pm

Beautiful looking ride and the chop looks good too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *   * Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop * Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

* Possible Number Plate Mod With Chop *
Page 1 of 1