Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

* Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *

Go down 
+9
stingray
Lowey
peardrop3
Doc Cox
Proudtexson
simbo
captain crash
alfie92
Mr Intruder
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

* Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Empty
PostSubject: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 2:50 pm

I have been researching batteries recently because I am looking at getting a new one for my bike as mentioned in another post.
The issue with the Intruder as per the stock battery is that unless it is at peak, it just will not start the bike. Simply leaving your ignition on for a few minutes which in turn puts the lights on, will strip the battery of a little power & in doing so takes you below the peak power that is required to start the bike. To get a more powerful battery you either have to get a bigger or more powerful one, the issue that we have then unless we want to spend loads of cash on ridiculously priced batteries is size. If you get a bigger battery you will have to do either major or minor adjustments to the bike. With this in mind and trying to find a battery that would give increased AH & EN to the majority of members wishing to get more power without any real hassle, I looked at which batteries would fit the battery box in both width & depth, so that only minor modding need be done to the seat because of extra battery height.

Here is a comparison between the Stock YTX12-BS & the one I will install on my bike the YTX14-BS
You could possibly go to a "16" but that is a little to tight for comfort for me.

Stock battery --------- Replacement battery
Brand: Yuasa YTX12-BS ----- Brand: Yuasa YTX14-BS
Voltage : 12 V ----- Voltage : 12 V
Capacity : 10 Ah ----- Capacity : 12 Ah
Cold start performance: 180 EN ----- Cold start performance: 200 EN
Dimensions : 152mm x 88mm x 131mm ----- Dimensions : 150mm x 87mm x 145mm
Weight (filled) : 4.2kg ----- Weight (filled) : 4.6kg

The width of the battery will not be an issue as it is only 2mm wider and if needed (doubtful) that can be taken from the foam that is at either end inside the battery box.

To install the YTX14-BS and gain the extra power increase all that need be done to the stock seat is to cut 14mm off of the foam block that is between the seat & the battery.

After market seats may vary though, I have a Saddlemen profiler seat, that needs slightly more adjustment but again this is easy and is only a matter of cutting back a little of the seat base, which instead of being foam like the stock seat is fiberglass.

Stock seat foam removal.
* Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Untitled-8_zps9ac90b23
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 3:35 pm

Good and interesting read,cheers Dave will keep that in mind.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 4:55 pm

If all you have to do is trim a couple of millimeters off of that chunk under the seat, then that is a mod well worth doing. So that means you gain 10% on the amperage hours and 10% on the cold cranking amps, well worth upgrading and doing that at battery renewal time
Nice one Dave, well thought out as usual mate * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * 881924
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 5:13 pm

Thanks guys, its modding that keeps the brain in gear. * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 2:16 pm

Well the proof is always in the pudding, so today I bought my battery and fitted it.

As you can see, here is a visual direct comparison between stock & upgrade battery.

* Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * IMG_1054_zps87bfec56

Here are 2 photo's, the first of the stock battery YTX12-BS in place and the second of the upgraded YUASA YTX14-BS in place.

Stock YTX12-BS
* Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * IMG_1053_zpsfef88ad9

Upgrade YUASA YTX14-BS
* Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * IMG_1057_zps73f88fda

As you can see from the pictures the battery fits perfectly in to the battery box as I had suggested, with just the extra height of 14mm.
The upgrade gives me an extra 10% power accross the board but with the all important increase in cold cranking amps that I was after.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 4:12 pm

Good to see you have done it dave, extremelly well thought out this mod * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * 276246
A question tho. Would any battery make that has the extra power but is still the same size be OK or not?
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 4:38 pm

Thanks mate, glad I have done it. * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * 3005623951
As for the make question, I only buy YUASA as I know they are quality, although they are expensive. I would advise anyone that needs to change their battery to do this, whatever make they end up using. For the sake of trimming off 14mm of foam (as shown above) they will have a battery with more grunt. 10% doesn't sound a lot but it is, especially when you consider the 0.1v can make the difference of the bike starting or not!
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 4:58 pm

* Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * 996187811 The extra 10% could come in very handy if anyone's having trouble starting there bike, How have you gone on with it under the profiler seat ?
Back to top Go down
Proudtexson
VIP Member
Proudtexson

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 5:37 pm

* Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * 2170595768 I always like the idea of more cranking amps. I have never figured out why we don't have the option to turn lights off on a Cycle. I guess these Gov's think we are to stupid to make that decision for ourselves. In the 80s my first wife (deceased) rode a Kawa. KZ650. If it didn't start right off the first start of the day it wouldn't start. It would start ok after the first start. if I could have turned of the lights it would start. had to pull fuse each time. I love Government. NOT!!!!!!!! BTW we are having another 45/45 day here.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 6:00 pm

Just been showing & chatting to the father inlaw about this mod and he said you need to remember that the 10% gained is actually 20 amps & that is a a hell of a lot. So once again good shout dave * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * 184121345
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 6:37 pm

simbo wrote:
* Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * 996187811 The extra 10% could come in very handy if anyone's having trouble starting there bike, How have you gone on with it under the profiler seat ?
The Profiler seat was nearly as simple the stock seat, only difference was that where the stock seat has a foam block I had fibreglass. So I trimmed that back in the same way but took off an extra 10mm and then stuck a 10mm foam block to the area that I had trimmed off so that I didn't have hard edges touching the battery. Took me 5 minutes, so that was easy.

captain crash wrote:
Just been showing & chatting to the father inlaw about this mod and he said you need to remember that the 10% gained is actually 20 amps & that is a a hell of a lot. So once again good shout dave * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * 184121345
That's why I did it crash, loads more available power!
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 8:43 pm

Good mod Dave, * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * 184121345 20 amps is a big jump * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * 2471969275did you remember to put vaseline on the terminals, this will keep corrosion at bay and keep the amps flowing, had thought about battery power for project virago as this needs a good belt to start it, have had both batteries on charge and the desulphater attatched to them and both have come up well and holding a good charge, there is enough room to fit one on each side so the silver one will be getting two batteries for good cranking amps and the alternator will be up to it as I won,t be fitting accessories to it, will let you know how it goes, regards Doc Cox, E=MC2.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 4:06 am

Doc Cox wrote:
Good mod Dave, * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * 184121345 20 amps is a big jump * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * 2471969275did you remember to put Vaseline on the terminals, this will keep corrosion at bay and keep the amps flowing.
regards Doc Cox, E=MC2.
Cheers Doc, yes mate a healthy application of the magic stuff has been applied. Yes mate that +20 amps should be a real good thing. * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * 3498837457
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 7:02 pm

Another one to remember when the time comes I feel!
Back to top Go down
Lowey
Valued Member
Lowey

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 1:48 pm

Hello Mr Intruder, When you purchased this battery did it arrive ready to fit from the supplier or did it come with  acid for you to put in?
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 7:24 pm

You will need to put the acid in from the separate acid container. There is no chance of spillage or any issue due to the design of the vessels that the acid is in.
Back to top Go down
Lowey
Valued Member
Lowey

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 7:46 pm

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 4:55 pm

Have just ordered a replacement battery for my VL800. It's a 12v 14ah one from County battery at Ilkeston near Derby at £36-99p.
It's the same dimensions as Mr I's 12v 12ah one but as I said it's a 14ah instead so should throw the engine round like billyho!!!
County Battery, 01159307434 part No. 11481487 www.countybattery.co.uk .
Just thought that after 5 years on the bike it may feel like having a new battery even though the original one has only done about 5500 miles.
Back to top Go down
stingray
Very Valued VIP Member
stingray

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 6:13 pm

Excellent mod Dave, I'll be doing it when renewal is needed * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * 996187811
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2015 7:01 pm

Collected my new battery today & the guy did me a deal & only charged me £34-99 instead of £36-99 as I was a returning customer. He said to mention that the next time I needed another battery.
The battery is a gel type not an acid one but that's no problem so when I get the bike out next I'll be swapping it over.
I would have done it today but my aunt is unwell so Rosie & I have been with her most of the day.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2015 7:42 pm

Good man Peter, glad to here you've done it. * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2015 8:53 am

Good modification Sir.
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2016 6:32 pm

hi guys my battery gave up on bank hol Monday 60 miles from home had to buy agm 12 v 6ah batt to get back home its physically half the size but it started her  so looking a battery does this mod still apply thanks in advance.peter how are you getting on with yours
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 3:12 pm

Starts first time everytime Ardie! Would recommend looking at the higher amperage one's from a local retail battery dealer near your home as post might limit your costings a tad!
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 5:35 pm

thanks peter will do can get the same as mr intruders in Halfords for 60 quid so will prob go down that route and cut the foam on the seat
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 5:39 pm

Did not need to cut the foam on mine Ardie so I guess they come in different sizes just to confuse us eh?
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 6:10 pm

yes the one I am looking at is taller as in  pic at top of  thread
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 6:44 pm

just ordered on ebay 50quid the agm battery I had to buy to get home was 40 was lucky to get anything on bank hol I suppose
Back to top Go down
Rob Reimer
Rob Reimer

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2016 11:20 am

This what we run in our 1000cc racecar (suzuki gsxr1000).http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/antigravity-batteries-ag-1201/
Not cheap but lots of power.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2016 1:54 pm

peardrop3 wrote:
Did not need to cut the foam on mine Ardie so I guess they come in different sizes just to confuse us eh?

Same here Pete - sits a bit taller, but the foam easily compresses to accommodate
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod * Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

* Mr Intruders Battery Upgrade Mod *
Page 1 of 1