Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

HID Upgrade

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BigPunishure
BigPunishure

HID Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: HID Upgrade   HID Upgrade Icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 3:09 am

One of the first upgrades I did when I got this bike was an HID headlight. This particular one is 35 Watt, 6000k hi-lo beam. Bought it recently while in China on a business trip at a local car market district.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

HID Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: HID Upgrade   HID Upgrade Icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 9:55 pm

That looks very bright,well worth doing that mod.
Back to top Go down
AmericanJambo
AmericanJambo

HID Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: HID Upgrade   HID Upgrade Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 2:58 pm

I've done this mod too. it's awesome. I used a 4500k with a slim-line digital ballast. 6000k is a little blue for me. I have 5000k in my car and i wanted a little something brighter and whiter. Yours looks damn good though. Bright as hell, just like mine. I'll have to post some pics too.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

HID Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: HID Upgrade   HID Upgrade Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 6:25 pm

Are these units very expensive?
Back to top Go down
BigPunishure
BigPunishure

HID Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: HID Upgrade   HID Upgrade Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 8:40 pm

I paid $50USD in China. You can find similar ones on eBay that ship directly from China or HK. If you go through a "normal" website, you will pay around $150USD.
Back to top Go down
BigPunishure
BigPunishure

HID Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: HID Upgrade   HID Upgrade Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 1:35 pm

HID Upgrade MaraurderHID5_zpsc037a3c9

HID Upgrade MaraurderHID4_zpsa941959cHID Upgrade MaraurderHID3_zps2bac3ce2

HID Upgrade MaraurderHID2_zpse536b3c0
Back to top Go down
BigPunishure
BigPunishure

HID Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: HID Upgrade   HID Upgrade Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 1:46 pm

I only recently started tinkering with HID lights, but in my brief experience with 3 or 4 sets, there are a few factors to consider:

1. Color temp of HID light - 4300K is the preferred OE color. This is more of a hint of yellow/white color. This color also has the highest Lumen output compared to other color temps (all else being equal). 5000k seems to be the best compromise between light output and color. 6000k starts to have a hint of blue, but still white enough to illuminate the road clearly at night. My preference would be 5000k or 6000k.
2. Design of HID bulb assembly - This varies and can effect the final light pattern from the HID bulb/headlight assembly. Most HID bulbs have some type of "shield" to help propagate the correct light pattern to the lens reflector.
3. Aiming of the vehicle headlight assembly - Most times the headlight(s) need to be re-aimed for proper light pattern.
4. HID bulb assembly length - The HID bulb is slightly longer than the OE Halogen bulb. This difference in length effects how the bulb interacts with the lens assembly, thus the reflected light pattern.

Having said all that, Re-aiming the vehicle head light assembly to work with the HID is very important. I re-aimed my Marauder headlight and the hi-lo beam pattern is right where I need it and no one has yet to "flash me" for the HID being too bright. I also installed a set in my '99 Corvette and although the patter is different with the HID's, I re-aimed the low beam and it is satisfactory, but not optimal (compared to the OE Halogen/light pattern).

35 Watt vs 55 Watt
I would choose the 35 Watt. The 55 Watt (IMO) would be too bright and they are mainly for off-road use.

My set came with a harness / relay as pictured in your web link. The OE Halogen bulb 3 prong female connector mates with a 3 prong male connector on the HID relay assembly. This is for hi-lo beam function only.

Then you run a fused red (called B+) wire to your battery and attach a ground wire. The HID has 2 high voltage connectors and low voltage (2 prong) connector for the hi-lo beam function.

The HID bulb assembly has a small "solenoid" built into it to move the HID element back and forth or up and down. This movement produces the hi-lo beam light pattern.

The set I bought moves the HID element up and down. I saw both types when shopping for my HID's.

Observation of both hi-lo beam type HID elements:
1. Up/Down type movement - This element design seemed to be solid and the "action" of the element was smooth and precise. HID's with this type of element also have a very simple bottom shield to aid in proper light reflection from the headlight reflector.
2. Back/forth type - This element design appeared to be "flimsy". Let me explain further... When in lo beam mode, the element is "out" (of the housing assembly) and the HID element easily moves around from any external movement (like if you were holding it in your hand and simulating bumps/vibration from the vehicle). When in hi beam mode, the HID element moves "in" to the housing assembly and is much more rigid and not prone to the affect of vibration as much. However, the shield on this type of element is a better design covering the end of the HID element (similar to an OE Halogen bulb that has the tip "blacked out) thus reducing direct glare. The shield is also contoured around the HID element to focus the light more light an OE Halogen bulb would.
When choosing between the 2 designs, I was thinking mainly about vibration, so I choose number 1 design above. It appears to have been a good choice... I do not have any issues with the HID element vibrating and I am almost certain the other design would have.

However, it would be interesting to hear from other riders who have the "back and forth" design and give us their feedback.

I say buy a set of HID for $40 ~ $50USD and experiment. I think you will like them.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

HID Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: HID Upgrade   HID Upgrade Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 9:35 pm

Good write up Nick,well worth reading.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

HID Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: HID Upgrade   HID Upgrade Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 8:53 am

Excellent write up and very well executed. HID Upgrade 2170595768
Back to top Go down
AmericanJambo
AmericanJambo

HID Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: HID Upgrade   HID Upgrade Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 7:30 pm

Here is a link to some of the best HID kits available. DDM Tuning kits have a lifetime warranty. I use them in my car and bike and they're awesome. The slimline digital ballasts are tiny. Only $40 plus shipping for the hi/low single bulb motorcycle kit with a mounting bracket for the ballast. $37 if you don't need a mounting bracket.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-35W-55W-Single-HiLo-Motorcycle-HID-Kit
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

HID Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: HID Upgrade   HID Upgrade Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 7:32 pm

That's great, thank you. I will seriously look in to this. HID Upgrade 996187811
Back to top Go down
AmericanJambo
AmericanJambo

HID Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: HID Upgrade   HID Upgrade Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 7:33 pm

Stick with the 35w kit, not the 55w one or you'll blind oncoming traffic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

HID Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: HID Upgrade   HID Upgrade Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HID Upgrade
Page 1 of 1