Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sherbondy
Prospect
Sherbondy

Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 Empty
PostSubject: Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800   Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 5:03 am

Has anyone put one of these air filters on a 2006 VL 800 Boulevard. Just recently purchased my bike and would like to make some upgrades. Not sure if i need a power commander or not. I was told that a Pro hypercharger would not serve any additional benefit. Any help would be greatly apppreciated.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800   Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 8:52 am

I am sure you will get your answer here my friend but .......
I would say that it's always nice for us to have had an introduction in the C'mon in say hello section first.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800   Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 9:26 am

captain crash wrote:
I would say that it's always nice for us to have had an introduction in the C'mon in say hello section first.
Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 428386

My opinion may be different to others but I would personally rather spend the copious amounts of cash that those things cost elsewhere on my bike.
Firstly if you are going to spend ridiculous amounts of cash on a hypercharger then it would be a complete waste of cash if all that extra air that was trying to get in was not able to flow out of a performance exhaust. Also all that extra air would be a hindrance & would make the bike run even more leaner than it does when it comes out of the factory due to emission laws, if a fuel injection processor wasn’t fitted.
I love the look of hyperchargers but I can’t personally justify the cost in my own head.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800   Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 12:35 pm

I have been browsing for the last couple of hours since I read this thread out of my own curiosity & the oveR whelming information that I have come accross is as follows.

Hyperchargers are just that, HYPE!
Back to top Go down
Sherbondy
Prospect
Sherbondy

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800   Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 5:54 pm

It sounds like if i change the air intake, i also have to change to air out flow and the power module as well. that sounds like $1,000 easy. I'm trying to get a little better performance and like the butterfly style intake on the Hypercharger....but i definitely don't want to spend that much so quickly. I just started riding 2 months ago.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800   Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 7:50 pm

OK then lets put everything in the right order
1st Fuel injection processor
You will be able to download maps for the stock setup, so you will instantly gain some hp as the stock big is running lean.
2nd Exhaust
Update the FI with new downloaded maps & gain a little more
3rd high flow Air filter
Hyper Charger if that floats your boat or maybe a K&N or a cheaper high flow filter & gain a little more.

The main thing that I am trying to point out is that you need a plan, spend your money in the right order
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800   Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 8:03 pm

Sherbondy wrote:
I like the butterfly style intake on the Hypercharger
I gotta say although they may not add to much as for as hp goes if money was no object (which sadly it is) I would buy one too
They sure are goooood looking bits of kit
Back to top Go down
Sherbondy
Prospect
Sherbondy

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800   Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 8:13 pm

I appreciate the help. Is there a preferred Fuel injector Processor? I hear mixed reviews about the power commander. As far as the mapping goes, is this something i can do myself via my computer. Can you tell I'm a novice. Over hear everyone rides Harley's , and while they are very nice bikes, i don't have the cash to dish out for the name. Also, I have ridden a lot of bikes trying to find which one would work best for me. I'm very pleased with my Boulevard and think it rides like a champ. Currently looking at having a custom Buffalo leather seat made.....
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800   Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 8:35 pm

Intruder where are you? Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 2164642469 Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 2740622253
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800   Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 8:39 pm

Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 2177615630
Bloody Hell Crash give me a minute to respond will you, I am writing a response at the moment & will post it as soon as I have finished
Back to top Go down
Badger
Valued Member
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800   Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 8:51 pm

Hurry up. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800   Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 9:03 pm

I would say that power commanders are probably one of the favourites as most dyno centres would be familiar with them however there are a fair few to choose from for various reasons with cost very often being the main concern. However most have downlaodable maps so if you are eager to have the bike setup to the max then a dyno tune will be the answer but for me personally as long as it is running there or there abouts then I am happy to keep the dyno tuning money in my pocket and spend that cash else where.
Here are a few links

This one is for the FI Pro by Healtech, it’s the one that I use and has downloadable maps that are easy to setup.

Healtech Link

Healtech FI Pro Link

This one is for the G-Man Bully
He does a nice setup with a FI Processor and air filter kit if required

G-Man Link (Bully)

Settings Link

I have not bothered linking in the Power Comander as there are more links out ther than you can shake a stick at.

Last edited by The Intruder on Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800   Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 9:06 pm

I ain't as quick as I used to be Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 855947

Bloody Hell Crash You have another disciple Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 2740622253

I hope that info helps a little but I have got this week off work so the bacardi Is flowing well 2night Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 87893
Back to top Go down
Sherbondy
Prospect
Sherbondy

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800   Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 9:21 pm

i swear, i posted a long response last night, I may have had one too many drinks. Thanks for the links, sounds like to have some big expenses ahead of me. Looking at some Cobra mufflers, Hypercharger air filter, & a Healtech FI pro. Oh well, it's only $$$$.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800   Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 9:33 pm

Sherbondy wrote:
i swear, i posted a long response last night, I may have had one too many drinks.
Dito, same as that. I was hanging by the time I replied. I don't usually drink due to driving for a living, so when I have a week off at least a couple of time during the week I will have 1 to many
Back to top Go down
Rattler
Valued Member
Rattler

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800   Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 11:45 am

As it's FI you would definitely need something like a Power Commander due to the extra air.

I had one fitted on mine when I had my new pipes fitted and had it set up specifically for my bike on a dyno. The pre set maps are ok but you wont get the best out of it.

K&N filter is one of the next things on my list.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800   Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 7:41 pm

Rattler wrote:
K&N filter is one of the next things on my list.
Lucky you have the option of doing that on your year, the newer model isn't yet covered by K&N Which is rediculous.
Although fair play to The Intruder he did a conversion of the older type k&N to the newer air filter type.
Back to top Go down
Sherbondy
Prospect
Sherbondy

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800   Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 3:11 am

Rattler, What does the power commander have over the Healtech FI pro? I thought they could both be dialed in on a Dyno. Also, Do you notice a significant difference in performance. I'm new to motorcycles and love my 06 Vl800, but at times i feel like i have already outgrown it. I'm not looking for more high end speed, but i would like a little more torque and feel. Can i get away with more air from a K&N filter, or do i need to change the housing as well?
Back to top Go down
Rattler
Valued Member
Rattler

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800   Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 2:23 pm

In all honesty I've no idea about the Healtech FI Pro although I dont see why it couldnt be sorted on a dyno. I don't know the exact figures as they lost the dyno reading so I never got it but I've been told my mods would give me 2-3bhp. When I change the air filter I've been told to expect 5-7bhp but as stock is around 52bhp. So with it being around 10-13% increase in bhp it should be noticeable.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800   Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 7:33 pm

I copied this lot from Healtech, maybe it might help

Frequently Asked Questions
Will you make the FI Tuner Pro for other bikes than Suzuki ?
The FIT module is very much Suzuki specific, but we might make other versions sometime later.

How long does it take to install the module ?

All connections take place under the seat. On most bikes, dealers with experience can install the module in about 5 minutes. It can take about 10-40 minutes (depending on bike model) for customers who install it for the first time. Please follow the install instructions supplied with the kit.

Do I need to remove the unit if I take the bike for service ?
No. However, in case you want to remove the unit for any reason, just disconnect the 8-pole and 2-pole connectors and the ECM will use the stock map.

If I remove the unit or the battery from the bike, will I lose my maps ?
No. The stored maps will not be changed until you change it with the FI Tuner Pro software aplication.

Do I need to purchase O2 sensor eliminators ?
No.

Can I use it with an … exhaust ?
Yes, the FI Tuner Pro can be used to get the fueling right on stock bikes as well as on bikes with an aftermarket airfilter and/or exhaust.

Can I use a TRE device with the FIT module ?
Yes. It’s not required, but highly recommended for best results. The TRE removes the retarder from the lower gears, the FIT module adjusts the fueling.

Using a TRE also eliminates the need to spend time and money to make trim maps for different gears. Our GIpro/ATRE and X-TRE products have been tested and found fully compatible with the FIT module.

Should I remap the FIT module if I add an ATRE/XTRE ?
No, but if you have the option it’s best to install and configure the TRE first.

I have a stock bike without any changes, is there any benefit to use one ?
Yes. Stock fuel maps are far from perfect, especially at partial throttle positions which you use the most.

Do you offer MAPs for download ?
Yes.

Does the module come with a specific map loaded ?
The module comes with clear (zero) map. This means that it will not make any changes to the fueling and you won’t feel any difference after installation.
Note: If your Suzuki ECM does not use the stock fuel map (it was remapped by a tuning center), the ECM will revert back to the stock map and you can use the FIT module to make changes to the fuel table.
For this reason, it is important to do the first reference dyno runs with the module installed using the zero map, and build the custom map from there.
Also, when you want to do a before/after comparison run, do not uninstall the module, just select the map you wish to use (map1, map2, zero map).

Can I get the module pre-loaded with a map ?
Distributors and dealers offer this service. In order to pre-load a map without the module installed on the bike, a special USB cable is needed which is available for purchase separately.

My ECM was flashed but I’m not satisifed with the result, can I still use this product ?
Yes you can use it without any restrictions.

How does it compare to having the ECM flashed ?
Shops who flash the ECM load a generic map, not a custom map.
-
There’s a danger that the flashing fails and the ECM should be replaced.
-
You can’t restore the factory map or do changes, unless you pay again.
-
You can’t load, save, share and edit your map.
-
You can’t transfer it to a new bike, nor you can sell to someone else.

How it compares to other FI tuning modules ?
Comparable MAP-based tuning modules like the Power Commander, Bazzaz Z-Fi controller or Rapid Bike are more expensive and model specific. Installation takes much more time and takes valuable space from the trunk. They have extra features over the FIT unit but those require optional modules to purchase and more dyno time/cost.

If you don’t need traction control and quick shifter function just perfect fueling for your engine, you won’t find a better product for the money.
It comes at a very competitive price and has useful features not offered by competing modules. Please check out the list of features at chapter 2.

What about a modulel like the TFI or Juice box ?
These have two major flaws. For one: can’t subtract fuel. All bikes (either with stock or racing exhaust) require fuel subtraction at many places of the fuel map. (You don’t have to believe this, just put your bike on a dyno and get the AFR logged at various load conditions.) Without the ability to subtract fuel, the engine will not get the optimal AF ratio.
The second problem is that it’s not a map-based module and only allows adjustment for 3 ranges (Low, Mid and High). You can make certain areas better but hurt other areas at the same time. Fuel injectors are not like carburators. The AFR changes rapidly depending on actual TPS/RPM and only a true map-based module can fix all ranges. (Again, if you put your bike
on dyno and look at the AFR charts you’ll understand that it is just not possible to get the fueling right by turning 3 screws on a module.)

Will you offer an optional module like the PC5 Autotune or Bazzaz Z-AFM ?
No, because it’s not as good as it sounds:
-
Installation takes considerable time. It’s required to use software to configure the module, which is beyond the skills of most customers. They have to visit a dyno shop to get it installed and setup.
-
Even the manufacturers of the module admit that for best results a custom map on dyno is needed along with this optional module. Considering a custom map alone can adjust engine fueling perfectly, the purpose of this module is questionable at this price for the average riders and racers. It may be useful in high-end racing where everyhting counts regardless of cost.

Do you offer a way to speed up the process of making a custom map ?
We are working on a software module which will greatly reduce the manual work. This will help dyno operators to make the map with less work in less time. It will be distributed by an automatic update when available.

What kind of performance gain can I expect ?
The Air-Fuel Ratio on most bikes are fairly good at peak power (100% throttle and high RPM), hence you can expect only a few HP gain here.
However, at about 95% of the fuel table the AFR is really off and this is why the FIT module with proper map improves:
-
On/off throttle response
-
Engine response at all RPM range
-
Low and mid-range torque and power
-
Acceleration
-
Precision
-
Smooth power delivery, driveability
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800   Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kuryakyn Hypercharger VL800
Page 1 of 1