Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Low revs fuelling problem

Go down 
+2
simbo
Llaw1969
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Llaw1969
Llaw1969

Low revs fuelling problem Empty
PostSubject: Low revs fuelling problem   Low revs fuelling problem Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 7:27 pm

Hi, hope you guys can help me out?.....

Just had a major engine rebuild and finished running her her in.
Mechanically, very happy with it, engine is sweet.

However, I seem to have a low speed, low revs fuelling problem.
Out on the open road in taller gears she pulls lovely...but when I get into town traffic she splutters and cuts out, I have to keep the revs up and slip the clutch.
Trouble is I don't know anything about fuel injection, any ideas?.......
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Low revs fuelling problem   Low revs fuelling problem Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 8:22 pm

Try running some Redex through it first Mike, see how it is after a couple of tanks run through the system to clean things up?
Back to top Go down
Llaw1969
Llaw1969

PostSubject: Re: Low revs fuelling problem   Low revs fuelling problem Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 8:38 pm

Oh OK, is that injector cleaner or what?.....
Come to think of it, the parts will have been sitting around in a workshop for 3 months, I would have hoped that everything was kept clean! But maybe not....

I will try that before I start poking around. Thanx.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Low revs fuelling problem   Low revs fuelling problem Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 8:49 pm

Yeah fuel system cleaner, let us know how you go on  Low revs fuelling problem 3498837457
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Low revs fuelling problem   Low revs fuelling problem Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2015 3:28 pm

Idle adjust! don't know if it has one but if its a couple of hundred revs too low it would cause the same thing
Back to top Go down
Llaw1969
Llaw1969

PostSubject: Re: Low revs fuelling problem   Low revs fuelling problem Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2015 8:01 pm

Hey Simbo, problem solved!   Low revs fuelling problem 3005623951

Put a dose of redex in half a tank of fuel and and went for a 20 mile blast over the mountains...pulled into a sideroad to try some low rev moves...she's running perfect! So I backed off the idling to where it should be...sweet!

So as she's now run in, methinx back over the mountains and I'll open her up....WOW!! She flies!!!
She's NEVER run as smooth as this in the 3 years I've had her...well chuffed!!!
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Low revs fuelling problem   Low revs fuelling problem Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2015 8:08 pm

Redex is gods gift to bikers, praise the lord  Low revs fuelling problem 1211191488 . . . . . . .  Low revs fuelling problem 852880
Back to top Go down
Llaw1969
Llaw1969

PostSubject: Re: Low revs fuelling problem   Low revs fuelling problem Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2015 8:25 pm

I'm so impressed I've dosed the car too! Happy days
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Low revs fuelling problem   Low revs fuelling problem Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2015 8:48 pm

Mind if I hi-jack this thread Mike ?  Sure I've read somewhere that setting your revs too low can cause problems - is this right or have I made that one up ?  And how do you set your idle if you don;t have a rev counter ?
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Low revs fuelling problem   Low revs fuelling problem Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2015 9:04 pm

Good to hear Mike, just run a couple of tanks through with redex to clear everything up  Low revs fuelling problem 3498837457  Running the bike with too low an idle starves the top end of oil when left on tick over Dave, might sound good but it's not doing the engine any favours over time.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Low revs fuelling problem   Low revs fuelling problem Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2015 9:40 pm

Cheers Sim - so what's the best way to check the revs ?
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Low revs fuelling problem   Low revs fuelling problem Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2015 10:12 pm

One of these link or possibly connect a multimeter to the HT lead with a crocodile clip temporarily?(Andrew could be your man in that dep't lol) by sound, it should be set when warm with no stumbling or stuttering to give a smooth steady idle, once it starts to sound uneven? turn it up a bit till it's smooth and steady.
Back to top Go down
Llaw1969
Llaw1969

PostSubject: Re: Low revs fuelling problem   Low revs fuelling problem Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2015 3:12 pm

Hmmmmmm....I've run a couple of tankfuls through now, filled up as normal, same problem....cutting out on warm start up and spluttering at junctions on low revs.
Also, took the air filter off to discover its blowing a little engine oil back through the air filter. Not looking good. 
The fact that it only runs smooth when dosed with redex....am I right in thinking she is running lean or not? And how do you test/adjust the mixture on a fuel injected bike?.....
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Low revs fuelling problem   Low revs fuelling problem Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 8:34 pm

How's the oil level Mike? it could be slightly over filled and that's why there's some blowing in the air box through the breather? it's not un normal to get a small amount in there which usually gets recycled through the intake and burnt away, if the level is fine? it could be worth doing a compression test to see if your getting a pressure build up in the crank case from worn rings? as for running lean? what mods ie exhaust and air filter are you running on the bike? as for testing for running lean? you'd have to do a plug chop to check the colour of your plugs to determine if it's running rich or lean?  there is no way of adjusting the mixture without a fuel processor on fuel injected bikes, Redex won't richen the mixture it's just a cleaner to keep the injectors and fuel system in top condition, you mention having the engine rebuilt, what did you have done?
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Low revs fuelling problem   Low revs fuelling problem Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 9:01 pm

Mike - I've just run mine through a Dyno Tester - if you can get to one, it's well worth the money
Back to top Go down
Andy S
Prospect
Andy S

PostSubject: Re: Low revs fuelling problem   Low revs fuelling problem Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 11:27 am

I realise this thread is going back a bit, but wondered if anyone could advise on how it was resolved. I’m having the same issue, start up and idle fine from cold, but once warmed up the idle is ‘hunting’ and eventually stalls. When riding I need to keep revs up and it seems to intermittently drop power and then surge.
I’ve tried changing the plugs & air filter, ignition coil resistances are in tolerance, fresh fuel with a cleaner bust still rough.

Help!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Low revs fuelling problem   Low revs fuelling problem Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Low revs fuelling problem
Page 1 of 1