Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New rubber and brakes for safety this season...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bagtoracer68
bagtoracer68

New rubber and brakes for safety this season... Empty
PostSubject: New rubber and brakes for safety this season...   New rubber and brakes for safety this season... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2017 5:22 pm

If anyone has seen my recent posts at the end of the year; one of the projects my late wife and I had planned, was new tires, (to replace 15 year old factory ones that were still on the bike when we purchased it just a year ago last January!), but we wanted to enjoy the bike as much as possible last summer for obvious reasons, and the tires were suitable for the time being. So to try and continue her legacy, and carry on with what we wanted to do, as well as to keep my fragile and bludgeoned mind occupied; working on the bike over Christmas break from work, and knowing she would want me to continue to be safe, I purchased these new Michelin Commander II tires, and EBC rear shoes while I had the back wheel off for the first time. I'd had the front wheel off last year to replace fork seals, and had put new EBC front pads on to stop some squealing and give us some extra stopping power. Having a project was certainly helpful with my mental state, but now I can't do anything further until the weather breaks here in a couple months. The rear wheel wasn't nearly as hard as I was anticipating, and having the center stand I made worked out well; with having to use my hydraulic car jack in tandem with both wheels off at the same time. Can't wait to get out and ride in her memory now, and break in the new tread...

New rubber and brakes for safety this season... IMG_20161229_201951458_zpsq1ylm7bv

New rubber and brakes for safety this season... IMG_20161228_151250453_zpskdk4nnri

New rubber and brakes for safety this season... IMG_20161229_135924673_zpsbw8pqv8m

New rubber and brakes for safety this season... IMG_20161229_183215176_zpsucae2hyz
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: New rubber and brakes for safety this season...   New rubber and brakes for safety this season... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2017 10:34 pm

Looking good Barry - don't forget to scrub 'em in safely mate !!!!!
Back to top Go down
bagtoracer68
bagtoracer68

PostSubject: Re: New rubber and brakes for safety this season...   New rubber and brakes for safety this season... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2017 3:26 am

Yeah, Dave; I gotta take it easy the first 60 miles or so. One thing that bothered me; I thought I'd have a lot less travel on the rear brake pedal, but it really doesn't seem so? The lever on the side of the hub was in about the same place with the new shoes installed, but then, the old shoes really weren't that bad either. I decided that I didn't want to take the back wheel off again any time soon if I didn't have to, so I ordered them from Amazon and got them in two days while I was getting the tyres mounted. Will see fully if there's much difference when I get out to ride for the first time.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: New rubber and brakes for safety this season...   New rubber and brakes for safety this season... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2017 8:33 am

Did you mark the arm against the cam with a punch before you removed it ?  I found on mine that it only needs to be one notch out to be either locked up, or so much travel, you're at the end of your adjustment.  It's surprising at how much difference it makes - looking closely at your photo, I'd say the bottom of your arm wants to be about 2 - 3 cm (translation - 1 inch) further back on the rod.  Suggest you undo the adjuster arm & move it back (or forward depending on which way you're looking at it) one notch - it's a pain, but you don't have to take the whole wheel out.
Back to top Go down
bagtoracer68
bagtoracer68

PostSubject: Re: New rubber and brakes for safety this season...   New rubber and brakes for safety this season... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2017 3:44 am

Thanks Dave. I actually didn't have to remove the arm from the shaft that rotates the cam inside to get the wheel off for the tire change, so I didn't want to bother with it unnecessarily until I saw how it affected things when I put it back together. I loosened the locking nut on it when I saw how far back it remained, but it was being a pain to come loose from the shaft. Figured I could always mess with it afterward, and it will probably be easier to get loose with the bike down off the stand and stable on the ground. I will take another crack at it next time I have the gumption to go into the garage, and adjust as you suggested.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: New rubber and brakes for safety this season...   New rubber and brakes for safety this season... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2017 3:53 am

Yeh - they're a bit of a bugger to do Barry.  I found the bast way to do it was to drop the bike on the lift till the wheel was just touching the ground so it wouldn't spin.  Then I'd take the adjuster rod nut off completely & move it out of the way.  Remove the bolt from the adjuster arm & ease it off.  Seem to remember that it needed a bit of teasing with a large screwdriver.  On mine, the cam marking line sits four notches off the slot on the arm (if that makes sense).  Hardest part I found was getting the spring to go back in.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: New rubber and brakes for safety this season...   New rubber and brakes for safety this season... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2017 9:44 pm

You'll certainly notice the difference in stopping power and handling with those Barry  New rubber and brakes for safety this season... 2170595768
Back to top Go down
bagtoracer68
bagtoracer68

PostSubject: Re: New rubber and brakes for safety this season...   New rubber and brakes for safety this season... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2017 1:00 am

I finally got to the brake arm adjustment, before I took her out for a spin a couple Saturdays ago when the weather was favorable for a brief period on a weekend. As Dave noted; it was a bit of a fuss to keep the spring lined up going back on, and every time I tightened the clamp bolt, the arm wanted to push back off the shaft. And after re-reading Dave's arm position, it appears I may have to take it off and adjust a couple more notches. The black mark on the end of the shaft is where the release gap in the arm was originally, (only about one notch off the camshaft line), and I only moved it one notch until I could see how it would affect things. I had to adjust the cable nut nearly all the way in as before, in order to get the brake pedal reaction to feel right when I took it out to scuff the tyres, so I believe if I go a couple more notches, (would put it about 4 teeth off the mark as yours Dave), then I should end up with a bit less adjustment in the cable, and hopefully quicker action on the pedal? Once engaged, the brakes do perform well though.

New rubber and brakes for safety this season... Brake%20Arm%20adjusted%201_zpspb2xud2s
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: New rubber and brakes for safety this season...   New rubber and brakes for safety this season... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2017 11:36 am

Unfortunately it's a case of trial & error Barry.  I've now marked the end of the shaft with a punch mark - even so, I ended up one notch out.  You'll know when you've found the right place - it will feel right.  You're about right on four notches 

New rubber and brakes for safety this season... <a href=New rubber and brakes for safety this season... DSC08199202015_03_302008_27_2520UTC202_zpsnkkpriwj" />

Glad to be of assistance
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New rubber and brakes for safety this season...   New rubber and brakes for safety this season... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New rubber and brakes for safety this season...
Page 1 of 1