Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Baffle packing material

Go down 
+2
simbo
MarcinG
6 posters
AuthorMessage
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

Baffle packing material Empty
PostSubject: Baffle packing material   Baffle packing material Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 1:19 pm

Gents,

With Peterborough show getting close and the possibility of grabbing a bargain is high, I'm starting to look around which materials are preferrable for wrapping the baffles.

Material's aplenty, more or less suitable or resilient so the question is...has anyone managed to weed out the culprits and find the bee's knees material that does the job.

If I'll manage to deepen the sound it will be like a thrunder storm rolling through the city. In short - pure awesomeness and another mod ticked off.
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Baffle packing material   Baffle packing material Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 11:24 am

Ordered this:
link

Very good service. Came two days earlier giving me a chance to play in garage today.

Wrapped inside the material there was a Metzeler branded pen and a pack of visor wipes for Silkolene. Nice touch... love freebies :)

Off to the garage now...drilling, wrapping, packing, installing, testing...FIREEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Baffle packing material   Baffle packing material Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 4:04 pm

Job done.

Casualties:
several nuts and bolts used as hook
jack handle battered
lower baffle - f**ed

What a bloody nightmare of a job.
Upper baffle came out no problems.
Lower baffle...well that was one hell of a fight.

I drilled out the rivets in 20 seconds...effortless.
But when I started bashing the handle to get the baffle out, after 20 minutes I concluded there will be problems.
Baffle eventually came out...in two pieces Baffle packing material 880307

It was baked in so much that I actually forced out the middle out of the deeper bracket. Bracket remained in place. SHIT!
To add to the insult...during the process I broke several bolts and they're now stuck behind the bracket... I'll have to take the pipe off completely to shake them out. :7348:

I wrapped the baffles, secured the packing with paper tape, whacked in a ton of vaseline for sliding and refitted upper one... bit fiddly with aligning the screw holes but after 10 minutes it was secured.

Lower one...well that was a harder one as I also had to aim for the middle of the bracket to fit it in place....I ended up tapering the end of the pipe in the middle with a hammer and it went it somehow after 20 minutes of trying....

Fired up....quieter, deeper idle...
Under throttle - still a beast, although I think it sounds better...ears don't hurt from that metallic rattle.

I have recorded just a bit of the process then gave up as I was annoyed as hell that I can't take it out.... didn't make any photos either, just wanted to finish the damn thing.. (another missed opportunity for a video)
Screw it....waiting for weather now to give it beans and burn them out a bit.

Knackered, dirty,but happy.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Baffle packing material   Baffle packing material Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 5:20 pm

MarcinG wrote:
Knackered, dirty,but happy.

A nice feeling Baffle packing material 2747638305
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Baffle packing material   Baffle packing material Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 6:19 pm

It is....topped it up with a ride....

Weather is terribly patchy today... rode out in full sun, 4 minutes later torrential rain, 5 minutes later sun.... just couldn't give a damn...just rode and enjoyed the new sound.
Under throttle is still might as hell but I rode without ear plugs and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised that there's almost no ringing in my ears anymore...
The packing took away that annoying tones that hurt ears.

Bike is filthy as a pig...just waiting for it to cool down and it's cleaning time.

Happy days

Oh...and I'm deffo coming on 19th to Peterborough....rain or shine. Unless it's hail :S
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Baffle packing material   Baffle packing material Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 8:27 pm

Yes the metallic rattle can be annoying on many exhausts - well done you for deadening yours down - cruiser pipes are not the easiest to pack. Perhaps new video sometime - Rumblers with vs without packing ?
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Baffle packing material   Baffle packing material Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 8:30 pm

Yes John, that I will be able to do as I will re-use the empty Jardines without packing and add the new video that I hope to record tomorrow with packing...

that will be a good indicator on how the sound note changed.

Stay tuned.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Baffle packing material   Baffle packing material Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 8:32 pm

Do the Jardnes not originally come with any packing?
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Baffle packing material   Baffle packing material Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 9:56 pm

I would be suprised if they don't but Marcins might have broken down as that stuff does over time
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Baffle packing material   Baffle packing material Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 10:08 pm

If there was any packing, there was no trace of it.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Baffle packing material   Baffle packing material Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 10:11 pm

Might just get the tone and sound from the pepper potting of the internals then, either way would be interesting to get the difference on a sound track when you do it. Even though the sound from exhaust videos never really sounds like it does in real life. Well not on my speakers anyway Baffle packing material 2740622253
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Baffle packing material   Baffle packing material Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 10:42 pm

I agree...I think....
Being drunk might have something to do with that...
but the bike is clean and shiny like dogs balls

Hahhaa.... Tralalalaaaaa
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Baffle packing material   Baffle packing material Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 10:47 am

Sounds like you had a good day Marcin,glad you sorted it out,more experience for you to look back on when you are cruising listening to your sounds on your Ipod,well done m8.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Baffle packing material   Baffle packing material Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 3:51 pm

I like to see you and others doing these jobs for the first time as the more you do the more confidence it gives on the next task that is a new and slightly more challenging task.
Keep it up mate and if the shit ever hits the fan, we will be here to help and on route if need be. Baffle packing material 3498837457
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Baffle packing material   Baffle packing material Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 4:08 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
Keep it up mate and if the shit ever hits the fan, we will be here to help and on route if need be. Baffle packing material 3498837457

And I could never ask for more. Thank you kindly Baffle packing material 3005623951 Baffle packing material 881924
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baffle packing material   Baffle packing material Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Baffle packing material
Page 1 of 1