Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

OOPS... not sure I like new helmet

Go down 
+3
Bluesman
Mr Intruder
bigmal
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

OOPS... not sure I like new helmet Empty
PostSubject: OOPS... not sure I like new helmet   OOPS... not sure I like new helmet Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2013 9:11 pm

After the recent French run, I decided my cheapo open face helmet just didnt hack it for long runs... also miserable in the rain, as I generally just ride in sunnies.

So decided a flip front would be a good compromise, and had a little run out to J&S in Northwich today to look round. Bloke in shop was very helpful... I spent ages trying on various ones.... didnt want to go bargain basement but didnt want to spent £200. So in the end plumped for an HJC flip front, bluetooth ready. Felt just right, and cost £139.

Back home, went for a ride round in new lid... it felt great at low speed... much quieter than my old open face, and I generally felt safer and more 'wrapped up'. Then hit the M60 and took it up to 70.... oh dear.... it felt almost noisier than my open face, and I felt as though the helmet was being buffetted around... I guess it's a bigger area for the wind to grab hold of.

So I'm a bit stumped - have I just chucked £139 down the toilet?  Doubt if they'll accept a return after it's been on my sweaty head.

What'd anyone else's experiences of their helmets?
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: OOPS... not sure I like new helmet   OOPS... not sure I like new helmet Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2013 9:25 pm

Mal put some lowers on your forks to counteract the updraught created by your screen and you will be a lot happier and surprised at the difference mate.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: OOPS... not sure I like new helmet   OOPS... not sure I like new helmet Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2013 9:37 pm

Cheers for that - cheaper than buying another helmet too...
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: OOPS... not sure I like new helmet   OOPS... not sure I like new helmet Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2013 11:20 pm

A lot of guys think the bike is the main reason for buffeting. In fact helmet design can cause it too. Like you say Mal you can't really tell before buying. If you follow Dave's advice you will eventually arrive at smooth ride status in your nice new helmet I'm sure. New gear usually takes a while to prove it's worth - at least with your flipper you can have the best of all worlds just when you want it! If it's any help, my new leathers nearly killed me for the first 3 months but now they are worn in, I love em!
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: OOPS... not sure I like new helmet   OOPS... not sure I like new helmet Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2013 11:22 pm

Yeah, I think I'll stick with it. Otherwise I could spend even more at another shop and have just the same problem... cheers
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: OOPS... not sure I like new helmet   OOPS... not sure I like new helmet Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 10:05 am

i wear full face allways have and yes helmets will cause your head to wobble about weather you have screen or not they can make riding shity above a certan speed i tend to go for the best i can for as cheap as i can helmet i have at mo is great (£90) but if i walked in to a shop to by it in race replika pattern would cost at least three times that and the rest .
not the end of the world though just do about 60 and enjoy the ride
Back to top Go down
Two-Bears
* VZ Guru *
Two-Bears

PostSubject: Re: OOPS... not sure I like new helmet   OOPS... not sure I like new helmet Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

I have the same problem of the flip front being noisy, i modified my caberg to have a very firm " locked up position" and find that the helmet is quieter in the up position and it also acts as a sun visor ( Sun ! ! ! what's that i hear you say, ha ha ) , riding around town and short runs at 50 ish i leave the front up, other than that the front is down with self moulded ear plugs in, i normally don't like ear plugs but i found this stuff a while back and i find them comfortable and the noise tolarable.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=&_osacat=131090&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=DIY+Custom+Molded+Silicone+Ear+Plugs&_sacat=131090&_from
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: OOPS... not sure I like new helmet   OOPS... not sure I like new helmet Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 3:22 pm

The facts still remain the same, although there are without doubt good and bad helmets. Mal has a full screen on his bike which is causing an updraught because it has no lowers which is more noticable with a full face helmet. We have been here and bought the t-shirt so many times before with this issue on these bikes and it has been proven time and time again.
Fit some lowers Mal.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: OOPS... not sure I like new helmet   OOPS... not sure I like new helmet Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 7:38 pm

Maybe I'll fir some lowers AND see if I can swap it for an open face one!
Back to top Go down
Proudtexson
VIP Member
Proudtexson

PostSubject: Re: OOPS... not sure I like new helmet   OOPS... not sure I like new helmet Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 7:55 pm

I have a HJC flipup with built in pull down shade.  I like it because if it is hot I open it about half way and it helps get air. usually I wear my half helmet if I am just running to town
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: OOPS... not sure I like new helmet   OOPS... not sure I like new helmet Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 8:01 pm

bigmal wrote: wrote:
Maybe I'll fir some lowers AND see if I can swap it for an open face one!

Mal I bought the wrong helmet last year. I took it back even though they had a non return policy. I cleaned it up and told them they had persuaded me to buy the wrong helmet for my needs. All I wanted was to swap it for one more suitable and I had not used it :yright: Anyway it worked and I made sure I got the right one this time. Best of luck.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: OOPS... not sure I like new helmet   OOPS... not sure I like new helmet Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 8:03 pm

Cheers.... thats encouraging. ..
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: OOPS... not sure I like new helmet   OOPS... not sure I like new helmet Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 3:08 pm

Yeah Mal, I bought a Shark helmet a few years ago, which felt fine in the shop but was rubbish on the road.

Took it back to J & S Leeds the next day and they let me swap it depite it being against their policy.

I'd really like to get some lowers but can't seem to find any other than getting them from the States
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: OOPS... not sure I like new helmet   OOPS... not sure I like new helmet Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 3:10 pm

From others experiences this helmet business sounds a right can of worms!
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: OOPS... not sure I like new helmet   OOPS... not sure I like new helmet Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 3:16 pm

Mick really are very very easy to make, don't buy them!
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: OOPS... not sure I like new helmet   OOPS... not sure I like new helmet Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 3:21 pm

Is there a write up on the site Dave ?
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: OOPS... not sure I like new helmet   OOPS... not sure I like new helmet Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 3:38 pm

Yes Mick HERE !
They are very easy to make, you just need a few jubilee clips, some clear plastic and a bit of angled metal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OOPS... not sure I like new helmet   OOPS... not sure I like new helmet Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OOPS... not sure I like new helmet
Page 1 of 1