Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gloves - protecting hands from elements

Go down 
+2
simbo
MarcinG
6 posters
AuthorMessage
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

Gloves - protecting hands from elements Empty
PostSubject: Gloves - protecting hands from elements   Gloves - protecting hands from elements Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 8:52 pm

Gents,

I'm looking around for new gloves that will give me more weather protection than the flimsy ones I got now (thin'ish "classic cruiser" leather)
The amount of brands to choose from is crazy.
I went to Motocentral today for a quick browse but they got stock that's very expensive.

What I did find was that brands differ a LOT, not only comfort wise but also size... XL from one does not equal XL from another...what sort of idiocy is that :/ This makes ordering anything online extremely difficult.

The question is, which brand you favour and why.
Perhaps you have a model in mind you'd recommend.

I'm after some gloves that will protect me first and foremost from wind/cold. You most likely recall the topic about joint pain from vibrations...well I got myself a "nice" inflammation going in all fingers - to a point where after a week or two ago, after waking up my fingers were seized up and I needed to force them to sort of crack and start moving. 
I've done everything I could to dampen the vibrations so it can't be that or we all would have such inflammations. It must be prolonged exposure to cold.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

M.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Gloves - protecting hands from elements   Gloves - protecting hands from elements Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 9:54 pm

You'll probably feel less vibration when you get thicker gloves Marcin, When your buying gloves for winter, get some under gloves as well, they make a big difference in cold weather, I'd look into getting a pair of w/p overmitts too, they greatly reduce the wind going through your gloves, and when you've got that lot on? you won't be able to feel anything! but your hands won't be as cold Gloves - protecting hands from elements 852880
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Gloves - protecting hands from elements   Gloves - protecting hands from elements Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 10:03 pm

Winter time will be garage time so not that concerned...
I need an upgrade for summer/autumn....sort of weatherproof touring gloves.

Dainese, Held, Rukka,...  and then dozens of models each....

I feel a headache coming.
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Gloves - protecting hands from elements   Gloves - protecting hands from elements Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 10:24 pm

These appear to be nice and highly recommended.... price is the problem though Gloves - protecting hands from elements 880307 
http://www.getgeared.co.uk/HELD_2944_Warm_N_Dry_Gore-Tex_Motorcycle_Gloves
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Gloves - protecting hands from elements   Gloves - protecting hands from elements Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 10:39 pm

I favour Hulvarson gloves myself as they are warm & dry but not thick & bulky like some can be. They also have the added factor that they inner part does not come away with your fingers as they are made specially in one piece & it works too!
You may have to search for a local supplier online though Marcin.
Have you thought about some of the wind deflectors that Mr I & several others have mentioned???
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Gloves - protecting hands from elements   Gloves - protecting hands from elements Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 10:41 pm

ps. the price I paid for mine was about £80- a pair from Pidcocks M/C's (Honda) in Long Eaton.
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Gloves - protecting hands from elements   Gloves - protecting hands from elements Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 10:43 pm

Thanks Peter, I'll look into that brand.

Wind deflectors are an option but not likely to fit the bike once I'm done with it. :)
Back to top Go down
coffeescoffer
coffeescoffer

PostSubject: Re: Gloves - protecting hands from elements   Gloves - protecting hands from elements Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 10:43 pm

I wear Five Gloves in winter. The ones with extra thickness of the super stuff. No I don't have five hands! Gloves - protecting hands from elements 4160623885
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Gloves - protecting hands from elements   Gloves - protecting hands from elements Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 10:50 pm

It depends on how much you want to spend? I've got some RST leather winter gloves, waterproof, 3M thermal lining, I paid about £40 quid for them about 9 years ago and I still wear them now Very Happy Nothing fancy, but they're pretty good at keeping my hands warm in winter.
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Gloves - protecting hands from elements   Gloves - protecting hands from elements Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 7:01 am

Now that's a price I can live with!
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Gloves - protecting hands from elements   Gloves - protecting hands from elements Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 8:23 pm

New gloves bought.

Weise Legend

They come recommended as one of best sub £60 mid-season/winter gloves by VisorDown.
http://www.visordown.com/product-features/tested-sub-60-all-weather-gloves/22259-11.html

Test 1 Resistance test: 10/10
Test 2 Cold test: 9/10
Test 3 Waterproofing: 10/10 
Test 4 Wet/dry weight test: 7/10
Test 5 Road test: 9/10
Overall: 45/50

Gloves - protecting hands from elements Weise-legend-gloves

They feel great...really happy with them.. warm and comfy.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Gloves - protecting hands from elements   Gloves - protecting hands from elements Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 8:31 pm

One thing that I always did through winter that made a difference from my hands getting wet and more importantly chilled from wind when I had no money, which happened many times over the years was to imply put on a very thin pair on underneath. What made the difference for me was surgical kind of gloves that I could get from work. Just an idea for those that are a bit skint that does actually work. Very often more expensive gloves did not live up to the hard sell in reality

Be careful of reviews given as often that can be part of the sales pitch, not always but at times is and at times great sounding gloves give you restricted movement

Best way to save your hands from winter weather is muffs but they can look silly, Dave hated the look of his but loved how they made him feel
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Gloves - protecting hands from elements   Gloves - protecting hands from elements Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 9:35 pm

I'm with Dave I love the way muff makes me feel Gloves - protecting hands from elements 852880
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Gloves - protecting hands from elements   Gloves - protecting hands from elements Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 9:37 pm

Ha Ha Morgan Gloves - protecting hands from elements 2343124779 
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Gloves - protecting hands from elements   Gloves - protecting hands from elements Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 9:45 pm

Nice looking gloves Marcin Gloves - protecting hands from elements 3498837457 Gloves - protecting hands from elements 428386 with crash too! Latex gloves under normal gloves makes a big difference, pockets of warm air between the layers and a wind proof outer layer is the key to toastie hands in winter.
Back to top Go down
coffeescoffer
coffeescoffer

PostSubject: Re: Gloves - protecting hands from elements   Gloves - protecting hands from elements Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 9:52 pm

I have  Hand guards and good gloves working together. I have also fixed up some muffs with electric heating so I can plug them in when it gets real cold. Sorry pics show nothing useful.
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Gloves - protecting hands from elements   Gloves - protecting hands from elements Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 9:58 pm

hand guards are great. but heated muffs are probably unbeatable did you use the heat elements from heated grips and fix them in your muffs?
Back to top Go down
coffeescoffer
coffeescoffer

PostSubject: Re: Gloves - protecting hands from elements   Gloves - protecting hands from elements Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 10:00 pm

Yep thats how I did it.Gloves - protecting hands from elements 184121345
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Gloves - protecting hands from elements   Gloves - protecting hands from elements Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 10:54 pm

Quote :
Be careful of reviews given as often that can be part of the sales pitch
Well it's VisorDown... news/reviews/etc website, not a trader.
But I guess the true test will be on the road myself.

I don't see a reason to go any warmer...today was rather chilly but there kept my hands warm...and if that's not enough then I can wear undergloves no problem..

Restriction in movement? Well I'm used to "next to nothing" gloves..really thin so I feel more restricted, but not in a way that would get in a way of riding so it's all good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gloves - protecting hands from elements   Gloves - protecting hands from elements Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gloves - protecting hands from elements
Page 1 of 1