Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

When do you wash your bike?

Go down 
+4
Mr Intruder
oiler
MarcinG
Psymon
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Psymon
Psymon

When do you wash your bike? Empty
PostSubject: When do you wash your bike?   When do you wash your bike? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 11:20 am

Might seem like a silly question I know but I don't want to let the dirt sit there, but at the same time I don't want to dump a load of water on a hot engine.  So quite simply, after a ride, when do you wash? The bike that is... your grooming habits are your own business!   Although recently I have taken to showering after a ride as it's so damn cold!
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: When do you wash your bike?   When do you wash your bike? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 11:28 am

"When do you wash?"
My answer - never.

I don't wash the bike with water at all. It's just my preference.
If I get cought in the rain or ride on wet roads, I normally clean the bike within few days after the ride.

I use just paper towels, microfibre cloths and WD40... on rare occasions tar & bug remover when I get a lot of insects splattered.

Works well... areas that need cleaning are cleaned, and the rest remains intact and dry.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: When do you wash your bike?   When do you wash your bike? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 12:21 pm

I find if I don't use water, the shiny surfaces get scratched with the minute particles of grit when using a dry cloth. I think the muck needs washing off otherwise it tends to get pushed around like an abrasive pad. I keep mine covered in WD40 and hose down if there is salt around. I use Muck off and a soft brush to clean and then re-apply WD. I suppose I do this every couple of weeks. Thatis on my SV - the cruiser never goes out in the rain so rarely needs washing but whenever  it does  it's the same method minus the WD and then a good polish.
Back to top Go down
oiler
Saint Oiler the 1st
oiler

PostSubject: Re: When do you wash your bike?   When do you wash your bike? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 1:44 pm

I wash after the engine has cooled down (a bit) with water and car wash,and then use my Air Force Blaster. This dries the entire bike, including all impossible parts to reach, and no streaking. Can't recommend it too highly.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: When do you wash your bike?   When do you wash your bike? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 1:54 pm

I wash it on a as and when basis. Spraying a hot engine initially with a mist from the hose would do no harm at all. You are not told to keep a running bike out of torrential rain after all. 
I wash it and use a garden leaf blower to dry it afterwards, saves on additional work from dried water marks left as there are non & I can go straight to polishing a dry bike within minutes.
Back to top Go down
Psymon
Psymon

PostSubject: Re: When do you wash your bike?   When do you wash your bike? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 9:25 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
 You are not told to keep a running bike out of torrential rain after all

This never even crossed my mind!
Back to top Go down
Jimmyboy
Valued Member
Jimmyboy

PostSubject: Re: When do you wash your bike?   When do you wash your bike? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 10:06 am

No water for me either, Mr Sheen and WD40 are my weapons in the fight against grime !!!

Jim.
Back to top Go down
Bigredbus4468
Bigredbus4468

PostSubject: Re: When do you wash your bike?   When do you wash your bike? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 3:05 pm

Look for my post re sdoc100.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: When do you wash your bike?   When do you wash your bike? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 4:19 pm

Usually let mine cool down, (just so I don't burn myself) give the dirty bits a spray with Muc Off and leave to soak for 5 mins, then give it a spray over with the hose so the whole bike is wet, then a wash with car shampoo and sponge, then a rinse with the hose and leave to drip dry for a while or overnight, then a polish with furniture polish.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: When do you wash your bike?   When do you wash your bike? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 4:31 pm

Cleaned mine today. Took about 1/2 hour to wash, dry, spray with WD40 and put away (ready to get dirty again tomorrow!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When do you wash your bike?   When do you wash your bike? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When do you wash your bike?
Page 1 of 1