Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Location of pannier brackets

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

Location of pannier brackets Empty
PostSubject: Location of pannier brackets   Location of pannier brackets Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 1:10 pm

Ok, I would like your views on how I’m planning to fit pannier brackets for my new heavy duty panniers, with the head scratcher being the fact I already have a sissy bar hung off the fender bolts. Viewed from above it currently looks like this:

Location of pannier brackets FENDERDIAG

As you can see on the M800 the chrome fender rail is quite curved,so after fitting the fender bolts you get quite a gap between the sissy bar and the fender rail. Previously I’d packed this out with washers...

I’ve got 2 sets of pannier brackets to play with... (one lot came with the bags, the others were scrounged off the excellent Mr Sim). They are almost identical and look like this:

Location of pannier brackets 20140715_112331

Option 1: fit extra long fender bolts, and mount the pannier brackets outside of sissy bar... the lugs are 30mm, and with extra wide bags, the whole thing would be quite wide.

Option 2: chop the lugs down to about 15mm... squeeze pannier bracket between the sissy bar and the fender rail, so it acts as a packer too instead of the washers. Wouldnt stick out as far (which is good) and may look neater.

I'm favouring option 2.... do you guys reckon this would be OK?

By the  way, I want the bags to be easily removeable, so dont want to bolt through them with the fender bolt. Instead I’m thinking of drilling a couple of holes in the sissy bar rail, then bolting the bag to it with either a quick release knurled nut or R pin... 

Location of pannier brackets 1360309
I’m also going to fashion some find of spring clip to locate the bottom of the bag against the bottom on the pannier bracket.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Location of pannier brackets   Location of pannier brackets Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 1:20 pm

Location of pannier brackets 318167775   Just found an earlier post with Sim's ideas on demountable bags...

LINK

Now that's really smart!

To all those mechanical wizzos who have reversed the fender bolts, when drilling out the front retaining nut did you leave the drilled out nut in situ afterwards, or grind it off.? Not long before my hols.... fancy doing this, but don't want to start buggering around taking back wheel off to get in with an angle grinder!!
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Location of pannier brackets   Location of pannier brackets Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 2:58 pm

More options the better Mal, good work & write up.  Location of pannier brackets 3498837457
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Location of pannier brackets   Location of pannier brackets Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 5:13 pm

Option 2 sounds good Mal, I just drilled through the front nut and left it in place Mal  Location of pannier brackets 3498837457
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Location of pannier brackets   Location of pannier brackets Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 5:56 pm

Excellent, thanks sim, I'll give that a go...
Back to top Go down
DaveC
DaveC

PostSubject: Re: Location of pannier brackets   Location of pannier brackets Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 6:42 pm

Location of pannier brackets C13342B8-62FE-4CBD-8A66-84BD366D139E_zpsabvcedzq

This is my fastening Mal, it's the Klic-bag system, it does make it a wide load, using longer bolts!
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Location of pannier brackets   Location of pannier brackets Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 6:58 pm

Thanks Dave that's helpful.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Location of pannier brackets   Location of pannier brackets Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 7:05 pm

Hmmm.. Option 2 rejected. Despite careful angle grinding, the lugs aren't  bang on square, so brackets sandwiched between sissy bar and fender rails aren't sitting right. 

Think I'll order proper spacers to bridge the gap, and sit brackets on outside :(

Oh well, I'm not a big fan of filtering anyway, so doesn't matter if the bike with bags is 4 foot wide!!
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Location of pannier brackets   Location of pannier brackets Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 10:19 pm

Hi Mal don't forget to get (Wide Load) stickers for your panniers.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Location of pannier brackets   Location of pannier brackets Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 10:21 pm

Thanks... Actually come to think of it I've already got one sewn on the arse of my jeans  hyst
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Location of pannier brackets   Location of pannier brackets Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Location of pannier brackets
Page 1 of 1