Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Luggage Racks

Go down 
+2
Lowey
ajpflair
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ajpflair
Prospect
ajpflair

Luggage Racks Empty
PostSubject: Luggage Racks   Luggage Racks Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 8:38 am

Hi All pretty new to forums, so this may have been asked before. I have a 2009 VL800 with an original Suzuki sissy bar, however it has no luggage rack attached, I have searched everywhere for a rack to fit the original sissy bar but cannot find anyone who will commit to say the ones they sell will fit it 100%, even Suzuki cannot give me a straight answer apart from buy a complete new sissy bar & rack combined at approx £380, anyone else had this problem or have an answer for me. Its frustrating 

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Lowey
Valued Member
Lowey

Luggage Racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luggage Racks   Luggage Racks Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 9:02 am

Sorry I can't help you with you question as I don't know, however to let you know  your question will be ignored by many members unless you introduce yourself in the C'mon in and say hello section.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

Luggage Racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luggage Racks   Luggage Racks Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 8:12 pm

Hi Anthony I see you have now entered the welcome area  Luggage Racks 184121345 

Antony I know of nobody that has put an after market rack an to the stock Suzuki sissy bar. Best thing you can do is measure distance between the two mounting holes, center of hole to center of hole. Also the external distance between the two outside edges of down bars. If you post that we will probably be able to find a rack that could fit
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

Luggage Racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luggage Racks   Luggage Racks Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 9:53 pm

Luggage Racks 428386  We would love to help but your after a mix of parts not mentioned before, give some measurements and we will do our best to help out.  Luggage Racks 3498837457

.............................................................................................................
PS. Sorry for confusion guys, I have closed the loop hole that allowed some non introduced members to post before introduction.
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga
TaurusTuga

Luggage Racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luggage Racks   Luggage Racks Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 2:57 pm

Hi Anthony
Perhaps does this help you?  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=suzuki+M800&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X+suzuki+VL800+2009+rack&_nkw=+suzuki+VL800+2009+rack&_sacat=0
Back to top Go down
ajpflair
Prospect
ajpflair

Luggage Racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luggage Racks   Luggage Racks Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 6:09 pm

Yes thanks for the link, I have contacted most of these and the all tell me that they do not know if they will fit but to check the holes etc, which i have done but they all seem just out a little, not going to buy something i have to try & modify an may botch up, so i have decided to get a local engineering company to make me one the get it chrome finished, daft that Suzuki do not make of sell racks to fit their own branded sissy bars
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

Luggage Racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luggage Racks   Luggage Racks Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 10:12 pm

I wonder if the shortage of a 'Suzuki' rack to match the sissy bar might be connected to the usual 'hang-up' of how much weight you can put on the rack ?

Even after-market manufactures tend to be conservative on rating the loadings their products can carry.

My VX has a genuine Suzuki aftermarket rack which I acquired off a mate's VX prior to him selling it on. This is a variation on the cast alloy grab rail. I have mounted a Givi plate on the rack section so that I can mount my top-box on it. One thing that I have noticed is that this assembly is only mounted by two bolts - those that fitted the grab rail. However what seems to have happened is that the previous owner of my VX must have drilled out & re-tapped the holes for a larger sized bolts - I reckon this because I had to open out the holes in the cast grab rail/rack to get my bolts through. This should offer a better clamping force, but what I have found is there is some flex in this assembly, and I have to periodically check the mounting bolts for tightness. I have since used thread-lock compound on the mounting screws to help.
When looking at my VX, there are two holes in the rear sides of the mudguard (one per side), and I suspect that at some time in the past my VX had a different rear rack arrangement, and that there may have been some stays or check bars running from the rack to the (plastic) mudguard as that would take out some of the flex that I seem to have been suffering with my current arrangement.

I only thought it worth mentioning in case you are having something made up. Static loading is not the same as the 'dynamic' affects that mounting points can be subjected to in use. Not sure how you would intend picking up a rack. Whilst two bolt fixings may seem adequate when assessing how it might all fit together ... you might find that in use (especially loaded) the two bolts alone might not be adequate .... certainly 'food for thought' ... & don't get the bracket chromed until you have thoroughly tested it in use on your bike.   
That said - sissy bars on cruisers are usually better fixed than the simple two bolt connection of the grab-rail on my VX .... so some/most of the above might not apply. But I thought it might be worth sharing for the benefit of others.
For other VX owners .... I know 'Rentec' used to do a rack that fits the VX, and that would have been my choice for my bike had the Suzuki part not come my way. I may even look out for one in case I have further issues with the Suzuki part.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Luggage Racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luggage Racks   Luggage Racks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Luggage Racks
Page 1 of 1