Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Battery maintanance, don't forget it.

Go down 
+4
simbo
Ken1964
stingray
Mr Intruder
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

Battery maintanance, don't forget it. Empty
PostSubject: Battery maintanance, don't forget it.   Battery maintanance, don't forget it. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 3:08 pm

Don't forget to maintain your battery properly, just forgetting about it and just riding is cause for problems later.
I have not even looked at my battery for nearly 2 years since it was brand new. Well today I decided it was time, as I had noticed a very minimal drop in voltage, and I do mean very minimal.
My battery is usually kept at a good voltage by a trickle charger and I occasionally check the voltage. Well today I noticed that the voltage would not reach the high point on charge that I was expecting, it fell short by only 10th of a volt from what I expected.
I pulled the battery out from the bike and pulled the cap off of the so called sealed battery and needed to top it up with fluid.
Each of the 6 cells was bellow the plates and took 20 mil each, that a total of 120 mil the battery was short of fluid.

So don't forget to check your battery for fluid, even the so called maintenance free, sealed batteries.
Back to top Go down
stingray
Very Valued VIP Member
stingray

PostSubject: Re: Battery maintanance, don't forget it.   Battery maintanance, don't forget it. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 3:25 pm

Good tip Dave Battery maintanance, don't forget it. 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

PostSubject: Re: Battery maintanance, don't forget it.   Battery maintanance, don't forget it. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 5:09 pm

Thanks for the reminder Dave, I am going to check mine shortly before darkness arrives.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Battery maintanance, don't forget it.   Battery maintanance, don't forget it. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 5:55 pm

Good shout Dave  Battery maintanance, don't forget it. 3498837457
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Battery maintanance, don't forget it.   Battery maintanance, don't forget it. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 6:50 pm

Nice checkup Dave, surely you could complain to the battery/bike manufacturer? As you said they are all sealed/non maintenance some of them come with 2/3/5 yr warranty so if you had not checked you could possibly argue not fit for purpose, possible danger to bike/rider!
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Battery maintanance, don't forget it.   Battery maintanance, don't forget it. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 7:33 pm

hawktheslayer wrote:
Nice checkup Dave, surely you could complain to the battery/bike manufacturer? As you said they are all sealed/non maintenance some of them come with 2/3/5 yr warranty so if you had not checked you could possibly argue not fit for purpose, possible danger to bike/rider!

I don't know about a 5 year guarantee with a lead acid bike battery, seems like wishful thinking to me.
Most say they are sealed / non maintenance because we are in a health and safety age, not because they actually are.
I saw nothing unusual about my battery, losing 20mil of electrolyte per cell, not after 2 years.
I saw nothing unusual about seeing a few 10ths of a volt power drop either, not after 2 years.
I couldn't argue that the battery was not fit for purpose when: My battery was still holds over 12.8 volts when resting, a good battery is defined as holding 12.6 volt.
All seemed usual to me & to be expected after 2 years of use, this thread is meant as a reminder to all to not neglect the battery, not as a complaint.
All batteries will vent fluid, they are designed to do so, that's not a bad thing, it's the nature of lead acid batteries.
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

PostSubject: Re: Battery maintanance, don't forget it.   Battery maintanance, don't forget it. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 7:42 pm

I topped up my battery, thanks to this thread. Can't say by how much but I couldn't see any fluid above the plates. So probably by far to much, thanks for the reminder. I didn't have any distilled water so I used tap water, a bit naughty I know.
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Battery maintanance, don't forget it.   Battery maintanance, don't forget it. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 7:47 pm

OK my ignorance! in that case does it mean you are REALLY anal about fluid levels!! Battery maintanance, don't forget it. 3213823784 wagg Sorry couldn't help myself Sim and Mal have been quiet recently hyst
On a lighter note its NICE to see you ARE still interested in the bike cant wait for you to kick my ass in France Battery maintanance, don't forget it. 1822899887 RULES lol!
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Battery maintanance, don't forget it.   Battery maintanance, don't forget it. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 8:02 pm

Justin your right, I am a bit anal about batteries in general. They are actually a major part of my hobby within electronics but I have neglected the one on my bike in part because I am losing interest in bikes. The France trip will be the pinnacle decision point for me, as to whether I sell up or keep the bike.

As for the piss taking, you carry on dude. I used to be a right sod for that, so it's fine by me. Battery maintanance, don't forget it. 3498837457
Not sure I am happy about being called anal about batteries though, but I suppose it's better than being an anal cleaner. hyst

Ken topping up with tap water could never be described as a good thing but it ain't as bad as some say. Still not advisable but I have done that many times before, with no noticable problems. Battery maintanance, don't forget it. 2254362768
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Battery maintanance, don't forget it.   Battery maintanance, don't forget it. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 9:55 pm

Go easy with me on this lol surely the fluid level below the lead plates on a battery must cause premature failure of the battery?
Back to top Go down
Badger
Valued Member
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Battery maintanance, don't forget it.   Battery maintanance, don't forget it. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 10:03 pm

I'm sure I read somewhere that by the time tap water does any damage, the battery will probably be old and knackered anyway?  maybe the water quality in the area has an effect as well? 
On another note, my optimiser was showing all lights lit when plugged in, switched on, but green went out at the top when switched off, [just battery power] guess that's still ok, yea?
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Battery maintanance, don't forget it.   Battery maintanance, don't forget it. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 10:07 pm

simbo wrote:
Go easy with me on this lol surely the fluid level below the lead plates on a battery must cause premature failure of the battery?

Yes it does, the level should be just above the plates.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Battery maintanance, don't forget it.   Battery maintanance, don't forget it. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 10:16 pm

Badger wrote:
I'm sure I read somewhere that by the time tap water does any damage, the battery will probably be old and knackered anyway?  maybe the water quality in the area has an effect as well? 
On another note, my optimiser was showing all lights lit when plugged in, switched on, but green went out at the top when switched off, [just battery power] guess that's still ok, yea?
Water quality will definitely make a difference, the hardness of the water will also.
That is just showing that it's not bad as such. I am not sure at what voltage the top light will go out. Remember a battery will be getting rid of the excess charge for the first period. The easiest way of getting an idea on how your battery is, will be to charge it fully & then test the battery with a volt meter after 24 hrs or so, it should then read 12.6 volt or above if its really good. If it is then at only 12.5, it's only at 90% of capacity.

Battery maintanance, don't forget it. Voltchart1
Back to top Go down
Badger
Valued Member
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Battery maintanance, don't forget it.   Battery maintanance, don't forget it. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 10:58 pm

Thanks Dave.  Battery maintanance, don't forget it. 184121345
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Battery maintanance, don't forget it.   Battery maintanance, don't forget it. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2015 12:29 am

hawktheslayer wrote:
Sorry couldn't help myself Sim and Mal have been quiet recently hyst
Battery maintanance, don't forget it. 2164642469
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Battery maintanance, don't forget it.   Battery maintanance, don't forget it. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2015 4:32 pm

Good call Dave, I will have to look at mine. Especially because it was 2nd hand when I got it because it came with the bike  Battery maintanance, don't forget it. 184121345
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battery maintanance, don't forget it.   Battery maintanance, don't forget it. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Battery maintanance, don't forget it.
Page 1 of 1