Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Drive shaft grease

Go down 
+2
simbo
Andy1969
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Andy1969
lumpectomist
Andy1969

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 4:05 pm

Hi guys

I changed the fluid in my diff today, while i was at it I took the driveshaft out and greased all of the splines, they were all nearly dry!!!  it was an easy job and well worth doing, I used Castrol grease on all of the splines, I hope that it is OK for this job

Drive shaft grease <a href=Drive shaft grease IMAG0653_zps858sizwc" />

The rear axle nut on my 2008 M800 is a standard nut and axle and not the castle nut and split pin jobbie I was expecting, can any M800 owners confirm that this is correct

Drive shaft grease <a href=Drive shaft grease IMAG0657_zpsqulejgbr" />

Thanks in advance

Andrew
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 4:58 pm

I'd say 'No' to the grease, but it's better than nothing though for the time being, Yes that's the standard lock nut for the 800, older models have the castle nut  Drive shaft grease 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Andy1969
lumpectomist
Andy1969

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 5:00 pm

Thanks for the reply Sim, why a no for the grease??
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 5:09 pm

It's just general purpose grease for bearings n stuff, not for a high load like a drive shaft.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AS60-60-Moly-Assembly-Paste-100-gram-/131454307187?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item1e9b498b73
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 5:26 pm

I would agree with Sim about the grease and axle nut.For piece of mind I would change the grease.
Back to top Go down
Andy1969
lumpectomist
Andy1969

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 7:02 pm

Cheers guys

I have just ordered some of the right stuff from eBay, thanks for the advice 

Andrew
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 9:41 pm

Are you removing the shaft from the drive Andrew? or just doing the mating surfaces where the wheel comes off?.
Back to top Go down
Andy1969
lumpectomist
Andy1969

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 9:45 pm

I undid the 3 bolts and slid the whole assembly out and greased the lot
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 9:57 pm

Did you manage to re use the seal or fit a new one?
Back to top Go down
Andy1969
lumpectomist
Andy1969

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 10:00 pm

are you talking about the seal between the final drive housing and the shaft, because I never split them, I slid the shaft out from the bike after undoing the 3 bolts that connect it to the frame, but didnt separate it from the final drive housing, should I have done?
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 10:34 pm

Tricky one Andrew, there's never been any failures of the splines at that end (behind the seal) in Europe from my knowledge, but there's been quite a few in the US and Oz, not sure why?, I would recommend putting some sealer on both sides the metal plate between the drive and swing arm on re fitting though to stop water ingress into the shaft housing, you probably can do that without removing the drive fully but with just enough clearance to squeeze some sealer into the gaps? The top end of the drive shaft  where it sits in the Universal Joint (engine end) doesn't get any lube from the factory, so I'd imagine the Universal grease you've applied should be ok.
Back to top Go down
Andy1969
lumpectomist
Andy1969

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 10:43 pm

Hi Sim

I will take the shaft out again when the new grease arrives, clean it all off and re grease the lot again, I am tempted to get the seal out now just to check behind it while it is apart, do you know what the seal is called so I can order a new one?  or i notice that some people re use it, how do they get it out without damaging it?  Thanks for all of the advice Sim it is very much appreciated

Andrew
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 10:58 pm

Poor boiling water over it and try and twist it loose in a circular motion whilst pulling it backwards, you could even use grips to twist it as it like a rubber coated bottle top that slides on and the seal is inside, difficult to explain it really?  the part number for the seal is 0928330051 if you can get it off without damaging it, These will sort you out with a new one for about £6 from memory Link, I got one off fleabay (new old stock)  for about £2 by searching the part number.
Back to top Go down
Andy1969
lumpectomist
Andy1969

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 11:09 pm

Thanks for that Sim I will order a new one tomorrow, I just as well do the job properly or I will always be wondering if there is any grease behind that seal !! I have ordered a 100g tub of the Moly 60 grease, will that be enough?
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 11:17 pm

Yeah plenty for all the joints two or three times over  Drive shaft grease 3498837457 , post some pics of the drive end of the shaft if you could? always interesting to see how much lube is on there from the factory and how it's standing up?
Back to top Go down
Andy1969
lumpectomist
Andy1969

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 12:54 pm

the seal is on order when It comes back I will take pics and put them up, cheers Sim
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 7:15 pm

When I removed my shaft, ok Sim don't start, there was no noticeable lubrication at the U/J end whatsoever! When I did the VS1400 diff swap I literally smothered that end to make sure at least some of it would get onto the U/J.
When I received a VL800 diff & shaft from DKMotors at Newcastle Under Lyme the U/J end was dry & wen I took the seal off the diff end there was rust inside it & little if any lube at all so I think he factory just put a thin wipe on which soon flings off or such?
I bought the full diff assembly as nobody would split the shaft from the diff even though I wrote to them to explain how easy it was to do & even offered to pay for the destroyed seal but they all said cannot do it as too difficult, prats! Still if I ever sell my VL I'm taking the wheels n 1400 diff off first!
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 9:39 pm

Good move Andrew,whilst it is stripped down you are better doing the seal,and grease at least you will know it has been done,chances are you will find it dry when you take the seal out,and if not it has only cost you the price of two pints for piece of mind and safe riding.
Back to top Go down
Andy1969
lumpectomist
Andy1969

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 pm

Another question for you guys I have stripped the back end off the bike tonight, my grease is being delivered tomorrow (I hope), I havent taken the seal off yet Im doing that in the morning, I will post a pic of the spline behind the seal so we can see how much grease Suzuki put in at the factory.

In my excitement taking it apart i didnt take any notice which way the plate (the one with 3 holes and a tooth) came off between the diff and axle, can anyone tell me if it goes back on a certain way so the tooth engages on a particular spline or can it contact any tooth, it looks like it will only go on one way or the other if flipped.
Back to top Go down
ippikin
ippikin

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 11:14 pm

Andy, here is the relevant bit from the manual. Hope it helps.
  photo Final Drive Stopper Plate.png
Back to top Go down
Andy1969
lumpectomist
Andy1969

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 2:44 pm

Update: stripped all the axle again and removed the seal and circlip the splines were excellent, there wasn't a lot of grease in there though and a little surface rust, so I cleaned it out and packed it with Suzuki Moly Paste, it was well worth doing for peace of mind, I have put pics up as requested, thanks for all of the advice guys.

Drive shaft grease IMAG0708_zps5k8rokuz
Drive shaft grease IMAG0711_zpsxasbw7nu

Drive shaft grease IMAG0716_zps5b7xdsqs
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 8:54 pm

Good bit of maintenance, your mind will be at ease in the knowledge it's been done properly  Drive shaft grease 3498837457 dealers won't do that when a bike goes for a service!
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 9:14 pm

Excellent piece of work Andrew.Well done you will reap the rewards.
Back to top Go down
ippikin
ippikin

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2015 12:08 am

Andrew/Anyone, how do you get the seal off the diff end? I tried today but could I get the thing to budge? No. I chickened out in the end and refitted the shaft...... but will try again when I next have the back wheel off. I tried the boiling water and a screwdriver to try to prise it off, but no chance! I have got a new seal so it wouldn't really matter if I wrecked it but...... 
Any tips? Cheers, Rob
Back to top Go down
Andy1969
lumpectomist
Andy1969

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2015 12:12 am

Hi Rob, I tried the boiling water and failed, I used a screwdriver and hammer tapping it around and it gave up fairly easily, if u have a new seal dint worry about damaging the old seal just work your way around the seal with a hammer and screwdriver
Back to top Go down
ippikin
ippikin

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2015 8:00 am

Thanks Andrew, I will be braver next time!  Drive shaft grease 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Andy1969
lumpectomist
Andy1969

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2015 9:52 am

Rob if I can help with tips in any way don't hesitate to contact me, I used a thin flat blade screwdriver and it came off quite easily Andrew
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2015 8:53 pm

Andy Good job done mate.
It seems a scary thing to do until you have done it, then you wonder what you were worried about. Drive shaft grease 2170595768
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2015 9:54 pm

Just a pointer for removing the seal if you need to keep riding and re use the existing one, If pouring boiling water over it doesn't expand it enough to remove it by hand? you could tap it with a hammer and screwdriver (like Andrew) without knackering it up, you could even use a pair of grips to twist it off, the seal looks like a bottle top with a hole in it and the actual seal part is only about 3mm, the rest of it is a metal casing covered in thin rubber, so as long as you don't absolutely destroy the casing? it should be good to re use it, it's only a dust seal so it doesn't have to retain oil or anything pressurised, then again? for £6 or £7 it's cheap enough to have one in store and replace it every time.
Drive shaft grease IMAG0265_zpsq1rrz4g4

Drive shaft grease IMAG0266_zpsc9dir7t9
Back to top Go down
ippikin
ippikin

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2015 11:30 pm

Thanks for the advice Sim....... will definitely get the bugger off next time I have my shaft out (oo-er!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Drive shaft grease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft grease   Drive shaft grease Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drive shaft grease
Page 1 of 1