Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Duff battery, not for long me thinks.

Go down 
+3
simbo
captain crash
Mr Intruder
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

Duff battery, not for long me thinks. Empty
PostSubject: Duff battery, not for long me thinks.   Duff battery, not for long me thinks. Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 8:36 pm

I have a battery that is to all intense and purposes duff, only gives out a reading of a few volts. It is desulfated up beyond normal desulfation capability. I don't like duff batteries so I will bring her back to life again. The desulfators I make won't work below a couple of volts, so as I don't want to leave a battery charger on the duff one, I have connected it in parallel with a good battery. That will keep enough voltage in the duff one for the desulfator to do its work.
As you can see I have removed the sticker that was covering the cell cover. Both said, maintenance free. What a load of bollox. Batteries now say that so you don't maintain them and buy another one. Always top up your batteries with de-ionised water, even when they say maintenance free.
Also I have topped the duff batteries fluid up but not with just de-ionised water. I made up a mix of epsom salts & de-ionised water. Basically you mix as much epsom salts with the de-ionised water as it can take & still dissolve the salts. When you have reached the point in which it can not dissolve anymore, just add a tinny bit more de-ionised water & the mix is spot on (ish).
I put a teaspoon of heavily saturated de-ionised epsom salts water, in each of the six cells. Obviously if you only have one, two or more cells that are low in voltage, you can just add the saturated epsom salts mix to them Top up the battery any additional amount needed with just de-ionised water.
There is no fine art to this and the amount is calculated on what seems to work. If you are doing it to a bolloxed battery, what have you got to lose? Nothing would be the answer to that, you can only gain a better battery.
I then give the battery a good shake. You can not add epsom salts straight to the acid as it will not dissolve, it must be premixed with de-ionised water.
All I will do now is top the battery charges up periodically and wait for the epsom salts and desulfators to work their magic. Duff battery, not for long me thinks. 3498837457
I will let you know every now and then how it's getting on.

Duff battery, not for long me thinks. 20150531_183413_zpsasapdjta

Last edited by Mr Intruder on Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Duff battery, not for long me thinks.   Duff battery, not for long me thinks. Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 9:40 pm

Friggin hell davey, you knows your stuff on these battery things for sure Duff battery, not for long me thinks. 184121345
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Duff battery, not for long me thinks.   Duff battery, not for long me thinks. Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 10:01 pm

Sorry Crash but your a bit to kind, I am just the apprentice. Doc Cox is the master who teaches me, God That guy must have a lot of patience. Duff battery, not for long me thinks. 852880
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Duff battery, not for long me thinks.   Duff battery, not for long me thinks. Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 10:11 pm

If the battery closest in the pic is the one that's goosed? there's no way on this earth you'll get it up and running again, have you seen the label? it'll have been made in 1912 and it was probably duff then  Duff battery, not for long me thinks. 852880  Keep us updated  Duff battery, not for long me thinks. 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Duff battery, not for long me thinks.   Duff battery, not for long me thinks. Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 10:14 pm

No Sim it's not that nasty fecking thing, it's the other one. The orrible battery is the slave for the nice but duff on. Bloody right & all, nothing quite like slavery. hyst
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

PostSubject: Re: Duff battery, not for long me thinks.   Duff battery, not for long me thinks. Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 10:25 pm

Interesting stuff Dave, hope it all works out !
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

PostSubject: Re: Duff battery, not for long me thinks.   Duff battery, not for long me thinks. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2015 10:25 am

Mr Intruder Sir, you say top the batteries up with diluted epsom salts. Do you top the cells up, no matter how much they need or is there a limit to how much?
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Duff battery, not for long me thinks.   Duff battery, not for long me thinks. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2015 5:04 pm

Duff battery, not for long me thinks. 3541186231 Sorry Ken, my apologies guys for not giving all the information needed. I will edit the top post to contain the following information.

I put a teaspoon of heavily saturated de-ionised epsom salts water, in each of the six cells. Obviously if you only have one, two or more cells that are low in voltage, you can just add the saturated epsom salts water to them  Top up the battery any additional amount needed with just de-ionised water. There is no fine art to this and the amount is calculated on what seems to work. If you are doing it to a bolloxed battery, what have you got to lose? Nothing would be the answer to that, you can only gain a better battery.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Duff battery, not for long me thinks.   Duff battery, not for long me thinks. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 pm

This experiment has so far has got nowhere, even with a desulfater fitted as well. doesn't mean others haven't succeed though.
So I will give it another week and try something else. Not exactly sure what yet but I have a few cards up my sleeve.
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Duff battery, not for long me thinks.   Duff battery, not for long me thinks. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 6:48 pm

Mr I you were going to start to sell the desulfaters originally & I asked if you would let me know hen but have not heard anything so wonder are you doing them to sell yet?
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Duff battery, not for long me thinks.   Duff battery, not for long me thinks. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 7:27 pm

Sorry Pete started to get involved in other stuff, I will crack on with them now.
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Duff battery, not for long me thinks.   Duff battery, not for long me thinks. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 7:40 pm

ok Dave wasn't trying to be funny at all.  I just wish I could do some of the projects I have to do but just don't seem to have time!
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Duff battery, not for long me thinks.   Duff battery, not for long me thinks. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 8:46 pm

Seems we share some of the same problems Peter, not enough days in the week or minutes in an hour.
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Duff battery, not for long me thinks.   Duff battery, not for long me thinks. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 8:02 pm

That's about right Dave. Unfortunately the last 3 to 4 month's have been wasted due to my aunt's illness & then death plus having to sort things out at her bungalow, probate etc etc.
Then I get all wound up & end up getting stressed to the point that I have to get out of the house or explode & that buggers up more time, think it's called catch 22?
Hopefully now we're in the waiting period for the probate I can start to catch up on things & not only that but falling off the ladder & busting my shoulder has meant lots of things to catch up on.
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Duff battery, not for long me thinks.   Duff battery, not for long me thinks. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2015 11:03 am

Hi Pete, hope things start to look up for you in the near future, regards Doc Cox  sssmily
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Duff battery, not for long me thinks.   Duff battery, not for long me thinks. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2015 4:33 pm

Thanks Doc. I'm starting to get things in perspective a little so will be back to normality(?) as soon as I can but I've got so much to do it's a long list!
I really need to get on with my Velo as it's been nearly 4 month's since I worked on her & the summer, for what it's worth at the moment, is rushing past. In fact the longest day was yesterday so it's all down hill from now onwards...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Duff battery, not for long me thinks.   Duff battery, not for long me thinks. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Duff battery, not for long me thinks.
Page 1 of 1