Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Old Russian iron

Go down 
+12
katsd
gtland
peardrop3
Doc Cox
Ken1964
captain crash
TaurusTuga
OldManYam
hmac
v-twin
simbo
DocSjulle
16 posters
AuthorMessage
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 10:25 pm

I couldn't help my self when I saw this old Russian made piece of iron, and now I have another bike.

It's a Dnepr MT-9 with sidecar with Russian papers.

I plan on getting it through the MOT this year, and then restoring it afterwards.

Old Russian iron  IMG_0322
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 10:50 pm

Wow! Keep us updated on the progress Kim  Old Russian iron  3498837457
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 10:52 pm

Yes, keep us updated please Kim, I like a good restoration thread.
Back to top Go down
hmac
hmac

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 11:11 pm

Very nice, I like it.  I met a bloke who had a Chinese version of the old BMW similar to this. He had stuck a BMW badge on it and had bit of fun fooling the "experts" at a BMW Club bash.
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 11:36 pm

Its a while since I saw a Dnepr ..... they have reverse gear (handy on a combo). From memory - Its on the R?H side and you have to fiddle around at ankle level to engage the lever by hand !
At least its the OHV motor .... so 'modern' for one of those Old Russian iron  3498837457
Good luck with the project Doc ! Old Russian iron  65147
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga
TaurusTuga

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 3:26 pm

Hi Kim
Very nice, but indeed a hard work for very long time to put it on the road. Old Russian iron  3498837457 Old Russian iron  3498837457

Off topic: Here there's a Dnepr with side car and the owner wants 3.500GBP for it after a restoration:
http://sesimbra.zeebukportugal.com/dnepr-16-moto-russa-original-sidecar-viii-130559-veiculos2
i will translate:
Original Russian motorcycle with sidecar in very good condition. Has 2 types of manual and automatic transmission, repainted, wheels / new tires, new mechanics. I accept return. good opportunity.

Unfortunately is on since 2012!!!!
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 7:14 pm

What an ace project Kim  Old Russian iron  184121345
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2015 8:58 pm

My goodness, you will have your work cut out there. Must be very satisfying to have the ability to see such a project through to the end, best of luck Sir.
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2015 11:33 am

Kim, don,t restore, tidy it up and preserve it, takes ages to aquire that Patina on a bike, like the sound of the bike Jos"e ( couldn,t find the accent on my keyboard) mentioned.. even comes with it,s own Mechanic !! lol! hyst
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2015 4:45 pm

The guy e stayed at in France has 6 of these in all there various names, Ural, Neval, Dneiper, Cossack etc.... He swear by them & at them but they take as much hammer as you need to throw at them whilst surviving on the normal servicing.
I tried to ride one whilst with him & put it into the trees more times than enough so gave up whilst I was still unharmed!
Just throw some paint at it after servicing it & make sure the electrics are ok & it'll serve you well!
Back to top Go down
gtland
gtland

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 9:26 am

Very interesting. Good luck with your project. 
Are you going for a rolling restoration then? Use it, enjoy it, as you do improvements? What year is it?  Guess that must be on the reg docs??
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 10:28 am

I have had it started and running after cleaning and adjusting the ignition, but it was pain in the ass because the ignition plate holding the points has a lot of play in it, meaning the point gap moved all over the place while adjusting the timing.

But it ran, and "only" leaked gas from both carbs, tank and petcock Old Russian iron  3213823784

I rode it down the road it a cloud of smoke, and it really most of all felt like riding a tractor.

But it was running, and the reverse gear is so much fun.

it's a 1973 btw.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 10:53 am

It Lives!  Old Russian iron  852880  That's a good start  Old Russian iron  3498837457
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 11:34 am

That sounds like a good example of a Denpr ..... lots of smoke & an agricultural feel - enjoy ....

...... but it sounds as if you will get a taste for the agricultural ..... & that could lead to a H-D ! Old Russian iron  852880
Back to top Go down
gtland
gtland

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 1:29 pm

Excellent !     I was wondering where that blue cloud came from?
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 5:35 pm

That looks the dogz just the way it is  - leave it, it has character.  Back in the eighties, I very nearly bought a Ural with a gun mount on the side-car - but having the side-car on the right was just too much
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 10:53 pm

I think I saw one of these the a couple of weeks ago stop at a garage on me way to Coventry guy had something like that his was in great shape though had a chat to him and his mate whist stopped with coffee and a ciggy took a few pics could post em up if I weren't crap on computers lol
Back to top Go down
Skidalot
Very Valued VIP Member
Skidalot

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 11:13 pm

katsd wrote:
That looks the dogz just the way it is  - leave it, it has character.  Back in the eighties, I very nearly bought a Ural with a gun mount on the side-car - but having the side-car on the right was just too much
I'm curious as to why you thought the right side was too much? (Assuming it was pre 1980 or whatever year the law states)

Reason I ask is because when the Ural sidecar is switched to the left the drive to the sidecar wheel gets 'lost'. To my way of thinking the main reason to have a Ural is for this off road capabilty, otherwise its just an ordinary combo.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 11:37 pm

My best mate at the time had a left hand drive Capri - after driving that a couple of times, I was put off the experience of having to pull into oncoming traffic to pass a large vehicle.  To be perfectly honest, at the time I didn't know they were off-road capable, & I wouldn't have used it for that anyway.  It'd been lying around one of our customers workshops forever & he only wanted peanuts for it.  I bought the Katana instead
Back to top Go down
Skidalot
Very Valued VIP Member
Skidalot

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 11:50 pm

Yep, thinking about it now that would be rather hairy! affraid
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 11:54 pm

It's not too bad if you have a passenger to give you an indication if it's safe to pull out (but being the passenger can be a bit buttock-clenching), but it's a nightmare if you're by yourself - you have to pull into the oncoming lane before you can see anything
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2015 9:36 pm

Kim, Morgan spotted this today and sent me the pics to put on the forum for inspiration possibly? 
Old Russian iron  Morgan%20ural_zpsqtlkjfek
Old Russian iron  Morgan%20ural2_zpsa36qszyw
Old Russian iron  Morgan%20ural1_zpsdyo2wvjx
Old Russian iron  Morgan%20ural3_zps2ko6v1nq
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 4:06 pm

thanks for putting up them pics Sim mate. I'd never seen one of these before nice bikes though and deffo not something you see every day
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 7:33 pm

Nice bike, that's a much newer Ural though.

I have btw gotten another Dnepr, as I realized the MT9 will take some time to get ready to run.

This is a 1980 Dnepr MT10-36, so it is a classic bike too, as thus very cheap registretion and insurance.

I had to fix the electrics and borrow the heads from the MT9, as one head had a big hole at a broken fin, and the other had a loose exhaust valve guide.

After putting some other carburators on it, and replacing oils and brakes, it runs and I just need to punch in the VIN in the hack to be able to register it with and without the hack.

Old Russian iron  IMG_0642
Old Russian iron  IMG_0643
Old Russian iron  IMG_0666
Old Russian iron  IMG_0683
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 8:32 pm

That valve doesn't look like it's been seating very well  Old Russian iron  852880 are they easy to work on? I've read that they're a bike you could strip and rebuild at the roadside if need be.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 8:42 pm

Looks like you have a bit of work there - be interesting to see how it progresses
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 9:05 pm

simbo wrote:
That valve doesn't look like it's been seating very well  Old Russian iron  852880 are they easy to work on? I've read that they're a bike you could strip and rebuild at the roadside if need be.
It ran even though the valve guide nearly fell out by itself, but the was some blue smoke on the side  Old Russian iron  2740622253

And yes it is very easy and great fun to work on, but the metal quality is terrible on nearly all parts.
I plan on doing a complete engine rebuild during the winter, to have a reliable engine to take on longer trips.
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 9:18 pm

katsd wrote:
Looks like you have a bit of work there - be interesting to see how it progresses

The MT9 need a lot of work both mechanically, and the hack is very rusty so there is some panel work too.

The MT10 has already been repainted and got a new wire harness, so it is mostly the engine and the wheels which need to be rebuild.

It is clear these bikes were made to ride on very bad roads, as not much attention was given to make good wheels. They are anything but round Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 8:31 pm

My first succesful  trip today, it was only 3km though.

Down to the harbor and the bike ran great, but on the way home it started running very bad, and ended running bad on only one cylinder.

I have rebuild both the engine and the gearbox, replacing stuff with better quality where possible, and getting the heads and cylinders done at a local machine-shop.
But I made a mistake replacing one of the pushrods, and failed to notice that the ends of the pushrod where to big to fit the adjustment screw and the tappet.
This caused the pushrod to become too short as it was pounded to fit, and ended up falling out of the adjustment screw.

Nevertheless it was great fun to ride, and I can't wait to get out riding again.

Old Russian iron  IMG_1453
Old Russian iron  IMG_1450
Old Russian iron  IMG_1457
Old Russian iron  IMG_1456
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 8:53 pm

Good to see you've made a trip on the combo ....... looks good in the photos too Old Russian iron  184121345

Good luck with the rest of the work !
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 9:51 pm

Wow, wow, wow, what a fantastic project!
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 10:59 pm

Keep up the good work Kim, coming along nicely and looking good too!  Old Russian iron  2170595768  except the push rod jobbie of course, I bet that sounded like a bag of spanners  affraid
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 1:16 am

Good on you! Wish I had those skills.  Old Russian iron  3005623951 Old Russian iron  2170595768
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 3:28 am

That looks sweet Kim - well done
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 3:34 pm

Could have been a lot worse Kim but well done on the re-build anyway!
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 4:14 pm

She is running again after replacing the pushrod, and sorting another issue with the exhaust valve sticking.
Seems the high quality parts may have too little tolerance for this old Russian airhead Very Happy

But nothing a little polishing of both the valve and the guide with sandpaper can't fix.

Old Russian iron  IMG_1458
Old Russian iron  IMG_1459
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 5:21 pm

they run on mm clearance Kim not microns lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Old Russian iron  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Russian iron    Old Russian iron  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Old Russian iron
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum :: The Garage :: Non Suzuki-800 related Bikes, Mod's & Project's-
Jump to:  
Slide Show
A random selection of suzuki800.com member bikes.
Latest topics
» Hello All,
Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeby Badger Yesterday at 10:56 pm

» G’day
Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeby Badger Yesterday at 2:37 pm

» Hi all
Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeby Badger Yesterday at 2:33 pm

» just saying hello to this site
Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeby sgtruth60@gmail.com Tue May 07, 2024 8:04 pm

Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeby M800chimp Tue May 07, 2024 11:28 am

» 12inch apes
Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeby Mbroom21 Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:54 pm

» Aye what's happenin'?
Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeby 717RedRumBob Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:50 am

» Handle bars rotation for comfort
Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeby Badger Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:20 pm

» Hello!
Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeby GregWidger Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:16 pm

» Hey to all
Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeby alongfortheride Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:41 pm

» Just saying hello as asked... plus a question.
Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeby SAM11206 Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:34 pm

» Hello!
Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeby Onigatudor Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:39 pm

» Choke plunger
Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeby flying1 Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:43 pm

» Hello intruder people
Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeby nano Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:19 pm

» Hi from North east England
Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeby Brianhuck Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:30 pm

» VX800 - Wiring issue colours & diagram?
Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeby Billybop90 Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:44 am

» Looking for a set of Leg wind deflectors for a C50 Boulivard.
Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeby Aikido789 Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:11 am

» Saying hello from Cheshire
Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeby bernard chaddock Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:58 pm

» ola de portugal
Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeby fabio almeida Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:28 am

» Hello from Texas
Old Russian iron  Icon_minitimeby icoolwecool99@gmail.com Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:47 pm

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password