Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks?

Go down 
+4
simbo
v-twin
peardrop3
EazyDuz
8 posters
AuthorMessage
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks? Empty
PostSubject: Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks?   Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2015 6:00 pm

I just happened to walk in the garage and could hear a feint clicking noise coming from the alarm.
Pressed the alarm button on the fob and nothing. Turned the ignition and nothing, not even the dash light lit up.
Put it on charge and will see what happens.
Question is why is it dead? I have nothing connected the the batt apart from a USB socket with a single blue LED inside it, a 12v socket with nothing plugged into it and a charge lead with nothing plugged in.
I do have a simple alarm wired to the batt, this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EASY-FIT-Motorcycle-Motorbike-bike-Scooter-Trike-Quad-Alarm-2-wire-connection-/191021841479?hash=item2c79c9fc47

However it wasn't armed.

Is it likely the alarm slowly drained the battery? And also is the battery fucked beyond repair? I've put it on charge now.
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks?   Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2015 6:31 pm

the alarm will take all the power if left untendered for a length of time that's why mine is on it's Optimate all the time. Even a small LED will take some power albeit not a lot.
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks?   Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2015 6:38 pm

I agree with Peter, the alarm will have drained the battery. If its not going to be used I would suggest charging the battery every couple of weeks or fitting a battery optimiser.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks?   Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2015 7:06 pm

Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks? 428386 Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks? 2215087486 Battery draining it, should be ok after being charged,  Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks? 428386 with the optimiser too, only about 20 quid and well worth the money.
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks?   Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2015 7:41 pm

I seem to remember that Lidl or Aldi were selling one of there battery chargers just a week or so ago for not a lot of money.
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks?   Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2015 8:36 pm

THAT alarm is for mickey mouse scooters not our bikes!! I had the v2 version fitted to the wife scooter. The one you used has NO regulation on the draw it takes from the battery its a bog standard alarm, personally not worth fitting all the yobs know how to cut 2 wires! Its ok but don't rely on it keeping your bike from being stolen, you would be better of removing the alarm but keeping the led wired on its own would look like an alarm but would draw so little current your battery would last longer inbetween rides Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks? 3213823784
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks?   Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2015 9:06 pm

Even if you don't have an alarm fitted, it's well worth splashing out on an optimiser as Sim & Pete says - keeps your battery in tip-top condition.  It's also worth checking the fluid level - read Daves post.  When I checked mine, it was well low
Back to top Go down
The Drifter
The Drifter

PostSubject: Re: Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks?   Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2015 7:06 am

Hi could anyone send a link to what type of battery charger i need just to connect to my bike throughout the winter when i wont use it much and it will be left for long periods of time without any use. Do they just give it like a small trickle charge just to keep it topped up ???  any advice.Thanks.
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks?   Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2015 7:28 am

Whats your budget?? A friend just used a normal battery charger and plugged it into a time switch so that it came on for a couple of hours once a week. I have an Oxford Opimiser (similar to this one http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/101249) and I also have the Lidl one.

Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks? Charger

The Aldi/Lidl ones have croc clips on them to connect directly to the battery but my Oxford ones comes with a lead that is connected to the battery and the has a little connector which I have cable tied to the frame so that I can easily disconnect it without removing the seat etc.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks?   Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2015 9:30 am

Wil - I've been using an Optimate for about fifteen years - the battery on my Katana lasted eight years before needing replacement, & it was always laid up over winter.  Not 100% sure how they work, but I believe they keep it in a state of constant trickle charge/discharge - Mr I is the man to ask about how batteries work
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks?   Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2015 12:57 pm

Just fired it up after the night on a tender. Cranked strong, just let it idle then turned it off and put it back on charge. Hope the battery is alright, seems ok
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks?   Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2015 2:15 pm

That's good news Duz - is the cheapo battery you fitted earlier this year ?
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks?   Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2015 3:48 pm

The Ultimate speed one shown above is an amazing bit of kit at a silly price, when Aldi & Lidl sell them. They Desulphate the battery as well. Amazing value, both shops sell them for about a week at a time, each year.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks?   Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2015 7:57 pm

I'd be inclined snip the existing connector off & fit one of these, leave enough cable so you can feed it below your side panel - you won't have to take your seat off to connect it then
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks?   Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2015 8:05 pm

I've been using these for the past donkeys years, probably not as cheap as the Aldi/Lidl ones but do the job without issue, cables have got shorter over the years though! 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-OF600-Oximiser-Motorcycle-Bike-Battery-Charger-New-/261227505784?hash=item3cd25f6878
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks?   Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2015 8:32 pm

simbo wrote:
I've been using these for the past donkeys years, probably not as cheap as the Aldi/Lidl ones but do the job without issue, cables have got shorter over the years though! 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-OF600-Oximiser-Motorcycle-Bike-Battery-Charger-New-/261227505784?hash=item3cd25f6878

You might want to invest in a decent set now! especially as you have gone  OVER, you know how temperamental and unreliable those HARL cough cough EY DAV cough cough hack hack ID vomit cough spit SONS are Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks? 2917598063 Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks? 3213823784
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks?   Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Battery completely dead after about 4 weeks?
Page 1 of 1