Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Daylight Running Lights

Go down 
+4
Mr Intruder
bigmal
simbo
v-twin
8 posters
AuthorMessage
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

Daylight Running Lights Empty
PostSubject: Daylight Running Lights   Daylight Running Lights Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2015 5:31 pm

I'm going to fit a pair of small round DRL's to my GSX so that I do not have to have my headlights on all the time, they will be mounted just under my front indicators so, do I go for 3w LED (or similar) which I think will be ok or do I go for 10w LED (or similar) which will be very bright, I'm just wondering if the 10w ones will be to bright for people to see my indicators as they will be so close. I am going to wire them through a relay though so that they come on with the ignition but go off when I turn my lights on.

Daylight Running Lights 66411410
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Running Lights   Daylight Running Lights Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2015 6:44 pm

Why not just leave your headlights on and have the DRL's on as well?  be seen be safe an all that  Very Happy I've got some LED Lights I was going to put on the bandit, Do I need a Relay or anything? or can I just tap into the headlight wires (the little bulb one above the headlight)
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Running Lights   Daylight Running Lights Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2015 7:00 pm

As the GSX has had a twin headlight conversion, on dip beam its drawing 2 x 55w instead of the normal 1 x 55w, I am a little concerned about cooking the regulator/alternator if I have them on all the time. As far as I am aware DRL's must not be used at night, most just fit a switch but I was going to use a relay so that when the side lights come on the DRL's go off. I did even consider wiring them so that the appropriate one turns off when you use the indicators.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Running Lights   Daylight Running Lights Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2015 8:25 pm

In my limited knowledge sim, led's will draw hardly any power at all. That's why I rewired my little bike trailer with led's.... Just like the bikes rear light, the trailers lights are on the whole time. Manchester to Oxford and back in the summer, with no issues at all ( and no relay, the trailer socket is just tapped into the loom).
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Running Lights   Daylight Running Lights Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2015 8:44 am

110w is probably ok, due to the way lots of us keep the standard headlight and run a light bar with two additional 55w lights.
LEDs use next to nothing to use as many as you like.
As for running DRLs at night, who the Fek will know? Simply because you will not be using them alone, they will be run alongside normal lights as well, not on their own.
One thing most people don't know is that the main beam only needs to be on when there are no street lights. if street lights are on then dipped lights are quite lgegal on their own.
Go for what you are planning, all will be good & you will cook nothing. Daylight Running Lights 3498837457
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Running Lights   Daylight Running Lights Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2015 10:56 am

wise worlds Dave and Sim run with headlights and spots be safe be seen Daylight Running Lights 3498837457 also study's indicate that when spots are positioned so that they make a triangle with headlight it naturally causes a warning signal in the brain of anyone who see's u meaning they take notice that you're on the road Daylight Running Lights 852880
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Running Lights   Daylight Running Lights Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2015 9:57 pm

I like the look of these.

10W CREE Spots
Back to top Go down
DaveK
DaveK

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Running Lights   Daylight Running Lights Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2015 11:41 pm

i can't same there the same as i have Andrew but one has lost about half it's power output

just keep it in mind the good one has good output like the bmw gs's you see about with them
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Running Lights   Daylight Running Lights Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2015 11:51 pm

I would not mind paying a bit more for a decent pair but they are either under £15 for a pair or over £100 which seems a bit mad.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Running Lights   Daylight Running Lights Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2015 12:11 am

Or for something in between are these any us using the member discount?
Bikevis
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Running Lights   Daylight Running Lights Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2016 7:06 pm

Well I finally got round to fitting these:

Daylight Running Lights Drl10

With a bit of head scratching I came up with a plan as to how I was going to fit them, another couple of ebay purchases (some S/Steel brackets which I drilled out, bent to shape and then sprayed black and some plastic spacers).

Daylight Running Lights Bracke10
Daylight Running Lights Spacer10

It ended up looking like this.

Daylight Running Lights Img_2010
Daylight Running Lights Img_2011

I did have the bracket the other way round for a start with so that the fairing fixing was hidden but on full lock the back of the DRL fouled on the oil coiler.

I then set about wiring them in, I bought a small black box that dims the DRL's when you turn the lights on but I also wanted the associated DRL to go off when you used the indicators. When the indicator flashes on it turns on Relay 1 and also charges the Capacitor, when the indicator goes off the Diode stops the backfeed and the capacitor discharges (takes about 3seconds) but the indicator flashes on again (before the capacitor discharges) re-charging the capacitor thus keeping the relay on until the indicators go off for good, then the capacitor discharges totally and the relay opens.
When Relay 1 closes it turns on Relay 2 which breaks the circuit to the DRL's. The reason I have done it this way is due to the impedance of Relay 2's coil, I would need a massive capacitor to keep it powered on for 3 seconds, whereas the small one on the PCB has a higher impedance so the capacitor can be smaller.

Daylight Running Lights Circui10
Daylight Running Lights Img_2012
Daylight Running Lights Img_2013

DRL's on by themselves:

Daylight Running Lights Img_2018

DRL's dimmed when the main lights are on:

Daylight Running Lights Img_2019

Left DRL goes off with the left Indicator:

Daylight Running Lights Img_2020

Right DRL goes off with the right Indicator:

Daylight Running Lights Img_2021
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Running Lights   Daylight Running Lights Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2016 7:14 pm

nice job Andrew! Daylight Running Lights 2170595768  do those indicators need extending out a little?
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Running Lights   Daylight Running Lights Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2016 7:19 pm

simbo wrote:
nice job Andrew! Daylight Running Lights 2170595768  do those indicators need extending out a little?

That's my next job. They work fine but the fairing covers them up a bit to much for my liking.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Running Lights   Daylight Running Lights Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 9:11 am

great job on the DLRs

love the close in indicators, looks so much smother, gives a better line  Daylight Running Lights 184121345
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Running Lights   Daylight Running Lights Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 3:43 am

That's brilliant Andrew
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Running Lights   Daylight Running Lights Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Daylight Running Lights
Page 1 of 1