Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Need help with passenger backrest removal

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MaxAeschlimann
MaxAeschlimann

Need help with passenger backrest removal Empty
PostSubject: Need help with passenger backrest removal   Need help with passenger backrest removal Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2016 4:26 pm

Good afternoon, all!

I have a 1997 vs800. 1 piece seat with a backrest at the back. I want to take the backrest off but leave the 1 piece seat on. When I took everything apart, I realized the L shaped bracket for the back rest lies in-between the chrome metal bar that the shocks attach to and the rear fender. When I took the bracket off, it left about a 1.5 inch gap in-between said metal bar and fender. I'd like to keep the stock turn signals, so is there anything I can do to bridge that 1.5 inch gap? I toyed with the idea of just using longer hardware and seeing if the metal bar would pull itself in after tightening, but I'm afraid it will look bad and damage the fender. Does anyone know if there's a way to use a part or some hardware to bridge that gap that will be structurally sound, safe, and won't look awful? 

Also, does anyone know how to get the wire from the turn signals to pass through the L shaped bracket when I'm removing the rear backrest? I took the signal housing apart, took the bulb and all hardware out, etc. It was still far too big to fit through the L bracket's hole due to the black metal/rubber spacer the 97 vs800s came with. I can always cut the wires and reattach them once I add the new hardware needed to bridge the gap between the metal bar and fender, but I'd like to stay away from that if at all possible. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Need help with passenger backrest removal   Need help with passenger backrest removal Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2016 5:26 pm

Don't know much about the VS, but I thought they were originally a two piece seat (ie. separate pillion seat).  Looking at a few photos, it looks like the fender rails don't fit right to the mudguard (fender) - but I'm sure that a member with a VS can answer that better.

Is there not a connector on the battery side that un-connects to allow the wiring to pass through the bracket?  If not, I'd guess that whoever fitted the aftermarket seat, did a wiring job.
Back to top Go down
MaxAeschlimann
MaxAeschlimann

PostSubject: Re: Need help with passenger backrest removal   Need help with passenger backrest removal Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2016 5:36 pm

I traced the wires as far as I could, but they're all taped and zip tied in groups together. I couldn't see where the wire ended (battery connection), but it looked as if it went under the tank a bit. I didn't want to remove the tank just to do this. I was thinking, "Surely there's an easier way to do this." But I couldn't figure it out. To my knowledge, the battery isn't easy to access on my model (without putting it up on a stand), so I haven't been able to take it out. If the bike needs a charge, I just take off the left side body panel and hook up my charger to a positive line that leads to the battery and the negative side to a bolt touching the frame. I ended up putting everything back together until I had the necessary answers/ parts to complete the job.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Need help with passenger backrest removal   Need help with passenger backrest removal Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2016 5:38 pm

Obviously a different layout to the vL - sorry Max, can't help you   Need help with passenger backrest removal 804997 .  Sure that a VS owner will come up with an answer for you
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Need help with passenger backrest removal   Need help with passenger backrest removal Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2016 7:05 pm

Sounds a bit like the Harley Sissy bar that fits between the fender rails and fender? I fitted the quick detach one that goes outside the rails but noticed a good one inch gap between the fender and rails when I removed the bolts to fit the hardware, different bike I know but it'll give you an idea on how much tolerance there is, similar gaps on the Vl from when I removed the fender as well. Do the indicator wires not have a plug/socket under the fender somewhere? they won't be wired straight into the loom I'd have thought, if you can find a plug/connector? you'll be able to remove it with a pin leaving just the wire ends with small spade connectors to leave clearance to feed the wires through the hole.

ps. a picture might help if you could take one.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Need help with passenger backrest removal   Need help with passenger backrest removal Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Re the hardware, I wouldn't be cranking those bolts up in the hope of pulling the side rails in...

I would look for some kind of spacer.... If you google "bolt spacer" it turns up things like this....

Need help with passenger backrest removal Chrome-spacers

I bought a Chinese sissy bar (meant to be for my 05) and had all kinds of issues with spacing, and ended up using multiple washers... But that's not ideal cos if you dismantle it they separate and fly everywhere....!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help with passenger backrest removal   Need help with passenger backrest removal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need help with passenger backrest removal
Page 1 of 1