Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Types of anti-freeze

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Types of anti-freeze Empty
PostSubject: Types of anti-freeze   Types of anti-freeze Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 9:38 pm

I know this subject has been posted before but ------ Thought I'd ask what sort the rest of you use

Now I've got the temp gauge working, I thought I really ought to do a full coolant change - I have no idea how long the stuff I have in garage has been there, but I guess it's probably past its "best by" date.  I know it's an arse about face way of doing things, but, to be honest, I didn't really think it through !!

Been having a look round & it doesn't appear to be a case of just picking up something off the shelf at Halfords & just lobbing it in.  It seems (from the reading I've done), there are two types of AF, organic & non-organic.  The traditional type are non-organic & the newer stuff is organic (OAT).  But you can't mix the two, so if you already have non-organic (usually green or blue) & want to use organic, then you need to flush the system out completely.  

Add to this that you should use one that contains no silicates & it starts to become (to my feeble mind) confusing.  At the moment I'm looking at Silkolene MAG COOL, Motul Inugel Optimal, (both of which are OAT), or Castrol, which is a traditional ethylene glycol antifreeze.  And if I'm flushing the system through, should I also use a rad flush of some kind - would it be of any benefit?  I've read some people flush through with a 50/50 mix of distilled water & distilled which vinegar. 

Any thoughts ?
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: Types of anti-freeze   Types of anti-freeze Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 9:47 pm

From what I have read, if it has Glycol based in it then stick with that. I also think that some engines are not compatible with the new type of antifreezes.
If you want a bit of light reading:
http://www.coolantexperts.com/coolant_overview/an_introduction_to_coolant_technology

And

http://www.mg-cars.org.uk/imgytr/hints&tips/antifreeze.pdf

I was in the same boat as you when I changed the coolant on the VX, but I decided to stick with Glycol based Antifreeze.

I do not have that problem now as my bike is Oil cooled Wink
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Types of anti-freeze   Types of anti-freeze Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2016 12:10 am

Thanks for that Andrew - it'll give me something to read later.  Must admit, didn't realise there was so much to coolant - or how easily you can put the wrong stuff in, & what it could do
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Types of anti-freeze   Types of anti-freeze Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2016 2:19 pm

Stick with manufacturers guide esp when it comes to AF, as you said they cant be mixed plus the hoses on the pipes may not be suitable for the new oat grade, and on top of that if there is a strainer in the system any where its only built to cope with 1 type of AF. Had the same issues last year when I wanted to change the stuff in the bmw, like you I thought buy af stick it in!! just like the old days! Unnecessary mindfield!
Just as well the bikes don't use screen wash! that has types etc now! use the wrong stuff in your car and it clogs that strainer!
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Types of anti-freeze   Types of anti-freeze Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2016 9:23 pm

Unfortunately, the manual says "Suzuki recommends the use of SUZUKI COOLANT antifreeze. If this is not available, use an equivalent antifreeze for aluminum radiators" The Suzuki stuff is about £36 for 2 lts & they don't give a spec for an equivalent.  I'm going to stay with ethylene, rather tahn swap to OAT, but I'm struggling to find one which is silicate free.  What's everybody else using?
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Types of anti-freeze   Types of anti-freeze Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2016 9:35 pm

Typical main dealer!
haven't changed mine yet! let me know what you find dave and you can add it to the list at the end of the year Types of anti-freeze 3213823784

i'll ask my local dealer and see if he can shed some light!
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Types of anti-freeze   Types of anti-freeze Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2016 10:03 pm

Get one that's suitable for aluminium engines (most are multi metal these days) don't mix them as they cancel out their anti corrosive properties, don't top up with tap water (very corrosive), use distilled, Orange/Pink stuff is usually Long Life,  Blue/Green is Normal life span 2 years or so.  Types of anti-freeze 3498837457
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Types of anti-freeze   Types of anti-freeze Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2016 11:52 pm

Soon as I've found one which matches these specs, I'll let you know - at the moment I'm struggling.  Then you can bring a bottle up with you Justin, & I'll show you what to do !!!!
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Types of anti-freeze   Types of anti-freeze Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 12:12 am

Types of anti-freeze 3213823784 Types of anti-freeze 3213823784 Types of anti-freeze 3213823784 Types of anti-freeze 3213823784 Types of anti-freeze 3213823784 Types of anti-freeze 3213823784 Types of anti-freeze 3213823784 police Types of anti-freeze 438673936 Types of anti-freeze 938687981
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Types of anti-freeze   Types of anti-freeze Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 4:03 pm

Just got off the phone to Suzuki - their answer is non-organic (ethylene-glycol).  Which makes the task more difficult, as the choice of silicate-free, non-organ coolant is limited.  Just waiting to hear back from Castrol as to whether theirs is.  

I'm guessing it's probably due to the age of the bike - would imagine newer bikes are using organic nowadays.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Types of anti-freeze   Types of anti-freeze Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 6:49 pm

Just got off the phone to Castrol (busy day on the phones!) - fascinating conversation with their technician (must admit, quite a bit of the stuff went over my head).  Long & short of it - if your bike had I.A.T. (Inorganic Additive Technology, either E.G. - ethylene glycol or P.G. - propylene glycol) from manufacture, continue to use that.  If you have O.A.T. (Organic Acid Technology), then you can replace it with I.A.T., but not the other way round.  Don't know why'd want to go backwards though

Silicates in the system can cause wear on the pump seals, which is why you should go for silicate free.  From what I can gather, the driving force behind this is the severe toxicity of E.G. - 4ml will kill a person.  

As the majority of vehicles are using O.A.T. nowadays, E.G. are harder to find - silicate free even more difficult.  All I've found so far is Castrol, which is low silicate, not silicate free.  I've also seen some posting that Honda Type 2 AF is an ethylene-glycol, silicate free product.  Just trying to confirm that - mainly because it's only about £15 for 5 litres 

If anyone is the slightest bit interested in anti-freeze technology ( !!!!! ), read this
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Types of anti-freeze   Types of anti-freeze Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 7:09 pm

So no dipping your finger in and checking for sweetness anymore? hyst
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Types of anti-freeze   Types of anti-freeze Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 7:17 pm

Been my method for years, especially if I need to work out whether to call in a clean-up crew

Last edited by katsd on Fri May 13, 2016 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Types of anti-freeze   Types of anti-freeze Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 7:50 pm

me too, plus several million old time mechanics! its amazing after reading the link you posted that we have never heard of "mechanic dies from af poisoning" on a weekly basis! health and safety gone nuts.
You vape did you notice the low silicate version uses pg! the same stuff we use to vape with! I wonder if that would work.................
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Types of anti-freeze   Types of anti-freeze Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 7:59 pm

Which is why they moved onto PG - so that in years to come, they could recycle it into e-liquid
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Types of anti-freeze   Types of anti-freeze Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 11:19 pm

In case anyone is still interested - Honda Type 2 is an ethylene glycol, silicate free coolant.  £15.60 for 5 litres of pre-mix.  That's the one I'm going for
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Types of anti-freeze   Types of anti-freeze Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Types of anti-freeze
Page 1 of 1