Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Crappy lower forks now less crappy

Go down 
+2
stingray
bigmal
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

Crappy lower forks now less crappy Empty
PostSubject: Crappy lower forks now less crappy   Crappy lower forks now less crappy Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2018 7:32 am

This isn’t on a Suzuki, but could be useful for anyone with an older bike...

My fork lowers were very tatty when I bought the Victory 2 years ago.

It had corrosion on the alloy under the lacquer (worming I think it’s called). The pics is sequence show...
1. Original state of forks
2. Scary bit.... application of paint stripper to remove lacquer
3. Part restored fork.... wire wool wasn’t strong enough
4. On the left side you can see where I’ve used a flap wheel on a dremel to chomp through it... effective but horrible texture. Then in the same pic, on the right, I’ve hand sanded, all in one direction, with, 240 grit wet or dry
5. Polished with Scotchbrite pad and metal polish, then metal polish alone, and given a light coat of alloy wheel lacquer. By the way, on the sides of the forks, it is textured.... didn’t want to lose that, so just used wire brush on dremel/ scotch pad.

Not concourse, but a big improvement!

Crappy lower forks now less crappy 182fb510
Crappy lower forks now less crappy 2d10ee10
Crappy lower forks now less crappy 1053c310
Crappy lower forks now less crappy 8d430510
Crappy lower forks now less crappy 01b2ab10
Crappy lower forks now less crappy 09e37c10

valler198025 likes this post

Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Crappy lower forks now less crappy   Crappy lower forks now less crappy Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2018 7:35 am

Just got to remember how the brakes go back on now Crappy lower forks now less crappy 852880
Back to top Go down
stingray
Very Valued VIP Member
stingray

PostSubject: Re: Crappy lower forks now less crappy   Crappy lower forks now less crappy Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2018 8:58 am

Wow, what a transformation, nice one Mal Crappy lower forks now less crappy 3498837457
Back to top Go down
johnboss
Very Valued VIP Member
johnboss

PostSubject: Re: Crappy lower forks now less crappy   Crappy lower forks now less crappy Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2018 9:42 am

Looking much better Mal.  Next jobs...
1)  refit the brakes
2) get someone you don't like to test them
3) get mobile mechanic in to refit them properly
4) go out and buy that bloody Trike!
Crappy lower forks now less crappy 852880 Crappy lower forks now less crappy 852880 Crappy lower forks now less crappy 852880
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Crappy lower forks now less crappy   Crappy lower forks now less crappy Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2018 9:53 am

Nice job! Looking much better   Crappy lower forks now less crappy 2170595768
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Crappy lower forks now less crappy   Crappy lower forks now less crappy Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2018 1:59 pm

Looking good Mal!
Back to top Go down
captain morgan

PostSubject: Re: Crappy lower forks now less crappy   Crappy lower forks now less crappy Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2018 4:53 pm

great job looks so much better mate  Crappy lower forks now less crappy 3498837457
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Crappy lower forks now less crappy   Crappy lower forks now less crappy Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2018 4:55 pm

Thanks guys.... oh John, there you go spending my money again.... 

Only a few weeks till the pension tax free lump sum appears Wink (unless I don’t fit those brakes properly) Crappy lower forks now less crappy 852880

..... actually, in that case there would be a much bigger lump sum, but going to Ali, rather than me. She’s probably in the garage right now with my socket set!!
Back to top Go down
captain morgan

PostSubject: Re: Crappy lower forks now less crappy   Crappy lower forks now less crappy Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2018 4:58 pm

putting your brakes back on for you I hope  Crappy lower forks now less crappy 852880
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Crappy lower forks now less crappy   Crappy lower forks now less crappy Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2018 9:14 pm

bigmal wrote:
Thanks guys.... oh John, there you go spending my money again.... 

Only a few weeks till the pension tax free lump sum appears Wink (unless I don’t fit those brakes properly) Crappy lower forks now less crappy 852880

..... actually, in that case there would be a much bigger lump sum, but going to Ali, rather than me. She’s probably in the garage right now with my socket set!!

Or she's on the internet ordering her new trike?   Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crappy lower forks now less crappy   Crappy lower forks now less crappy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Crappy lower forks now less crappy
Page 1 of 1