Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Side Mount License Plate on C800.........................By Mistress K

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

Side Mount License Plate on C800.........................By Mistress K Empty
PostSubject: Side Mount License Plate on C800.........................By Mistress K   Side Mount License Plate on C800.........................By Mistress K Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 8:29 pm

Thread reproduced with the express permission of Mistress K

Side Mount License Plate
(Road Krome)

I started installing the side mount plate bracket to commence the clean up on the rear fender

Side Mount License Plate on C800.........................By Mistress K 173

Time: 1 hour
Tools:
All parts of plate bracket (as seen above), 14mm open-ended wrench, 10mm open-ended wrench, blue (semi permanent) loctite, crescent wrench, large lock washer, about 3' of 16ga wire, an inline mini blade-type fuse holder with weatherproof boot, a 5amp mini blade fuse, crimp-on wire connectors, silicone sealant, zip ties, wire crimping tool

Side Mount License Plate on C800.........................By Mistress K 174

I started by bolting the light unit onto the top of the plate backing.
The provided rubber washer goes between the light unit and the plate back, with the supplied flat washer between the bolt head and the plate bracket ensuring that the wire for the light is pulled through the hollow bolt, tighten down using the 14mm open-ended wrench.

Side Mount License Plate on C800.........................By Mistress K 175

Next I wired in my in-line fuse holder under the saddle.
The photo above shows my first attempt at wiring, where the fuse holder is connected to the bloody ground wire that goes to the taillight assembly. with the help of a friend I finally worked out that I needed to tap into the brown wire on the bike side of that big white connector to get a 12v constant supply.
we live and learn, don't we?
But the setup looks essentially the same: brown wire to inline fuse holder, which connects to a piece of 16ga wire that runs down between the battery box and the rear fender rail to the final drive unit, then connects to the single wire on the light. this buggerup was why I didn't get finished until the next morning

Side Mount License Plate on C800.........................By Mistress K 176

With the wire in place, I removed my saddlebag and used a 10mm open-ended wrench to attach my road krome plate frame and license plate to the plate backing with my faithful old skull krommets, and then used the 14mm open-ended wrench to attach the plate backing to the arm that attaches to the final drive unit. this assumes that the plate has already been removed from the bike.

Side Mount License Plate on C800.........................By Mistress K 177

I then mounted the whole bracket to the final drive unit where the big ugly black bolt that held the fake swingarm on goes. because i have removed the fake swingarm, the supplied bolt is slightly longer than I needed, and I couldn't get it tight enough that the bracket wouldn't move. so, i use a large (approx. 3/4" inside diameter) lock washer, which I figured would not only take up the space but also provide some security to prevent the bracket from moving.

Side Mount License Plate on C800.........................By Mistress K 178

I had to measure carefully to position the arm just right - i need clearance between the light and my saddlebags, as the fender and final drive unit move independently when the suspension is compressed, but also needed more clearance between the ground and the outside bottom corner of the plate frame than there is between the feeler nuts under the floorboards and the ground (to make sure i wouldn't grind off a corner of my plate frame when making a hard left turn). when i had it positioned to my satisfaction, i applied loctite to the threads of the bolt, installed the supplied flat washer against the final drive unit, then put on the supplied spacer, the bracket arm, then the lock washer and bolt. I tightened it down as much as possible - even got tanker to crank on it for extra snugness - with the crescent wrench. I simply don't have any other wrenches that would accomodate the >1" bolt!

Side Mount License Plate on C800.........................By Mistress K 179

With the bracket fully installed, i could now cut my 16ga wire to the correct length to attach to the single wire on the light. i cut off the pre-installed bullet connector and used a tube-type crimp on connector which i had been told was heat shrinkable, but didn't turn out to be. once the connector was crimped on, and i discovered it wouldn't heat shrink, i used a dab of clear silicone sealant at each end to prevent moisture and grime from getting inside. i also zip tied the wiring to the bracket arm in 2 places, then placed another zip tie where the frame meets the final drive unit, and one more under the fender rail. i left some slack in the wire, so that movement of the swingarm won't put tension on it that could snap the wire or break a connection.

Side Mount License Plate on C800.........................By Mistress K 180

I'm pretty pleased with the results, and have sucessfully test-ridden with the bracket on. The light works (now that i've got it hooked into the right wire Wink
I haven't grounded out the plate frame yet.

Last edited by Mr Intruder on Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scotland warrior
scotland warrior

PostSubject: Re: Side Mount License Plate on C800.........................By Mistress K   Side Mount License Plate on C800.........................By Mistress K Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 10:18 pm

I love the side mount but we cant do this in great britan, its against the law.

Side Mount License Plate on C800.........................By Mistress K 4189917092 crap....
Back to top Go down
wad
wad

PostSubject: Re: Side Mount License Plate on C800.........................By Mistress K   Side Mount License Plate on C800.........................By Mistress K Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 10:26 pm

Theres loads of bikes in the UK with side plates on.

Lots at my weekly meet ups and the old bill never give them any greif.
Back to top Go down
scotland warrior
scotland warrior

PostSubject: Re: Side Mount License Plate on C800.........................By Mistress K   Side Mount License Plate on C800.........................By Mistress K Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 10:32 pm

yea Ive seen one or two but Ive got that face where to old bill would say somthing but then again I may be rong, I do love the look though.
Back to top Go down
wad
wad

PostSubject: Re: Side Mount License Plate on C800.........................By Mistress K   Side Mount License Plate on C800.........................By Mistress K Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 11:05 pm

I found this

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Kennzeichenhalter-seitlich-Suzuki-C-800-M-800-Intruder-/360420282421?pt=Motorrad_Kraftradteile&hash=item53eab91035

check his other items for ones with differnt lights ect
Back to top Go down
scotland warrior
scotland warrior

PostSubject: Re: Side Mount License Plate on C800.........................By Mistress K   Side Mount License Plate on C800.........................By Mistress K Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 11:49 pm

Thats why I love the Germans I will pick one up the next time Im there.

Danka (thanks)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Side Mount License Plate on C800.........................By Mistress K   Side Mount License Plate on C800.........................By Mistress K Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Side Mount License Plate on C800.........................By Mistress K
Page 1 of 1