Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bar End Weights..... Help!

Go down 
+7
Badger
captain crash
exile
CycleBiker
Mr Intruder
scotland warrior
ippikin
11 posters
AuthorMessage
ippikin
ippikin

Bar End Weights..... Help! Empty
PostSubject: Bar End Weights..... Help!   Bar End Weights..... Help! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 7:42 pm

I have been fitting some heated grips and in doing so removed my bar end weights. The long bolt holding them in unscrewed easily and the weights came off.

However, when trying to put the throttle side back on the bolt wouldn't grip and, on closer inspection with a torch it appears that the nut that the long bolt locates in (within the handlebar) had disappeared into the handlebar!! Yikes.

On looking up the tube, I can see a black plastic plug with a square hole in the middle. I have managed to get the nut with an extendable magnetic tool and with a lot of jiggling, got the square nut seated in the square hole in the black plastic thing...... but it's as loose as anything. I know that when I try to push the bolt in it's just going to fall backwards again.

I (probably in ignorance) assumed that the nut the bolt located in would be welded or fixed to the inside of the handlebar tube........ or does the whole lot come out? I seem to remember reading that bar-end weights grip in the handlebar tube by expanding a fitment when the bolt id screwed in.

Does anyone know?

I am thinking of trying to glue the nut in place with some Loctite perhaps.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bar End Weights..... Help!   Bar End Weights..... Help! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 8:00 pm

i have done the same mate, Remove the other bar end Grob, then using something flexible ie, a net curtain wire , feed it through and it will push it out, if a single piece of curtain wire is not stiff enough tape several pieces together until you can push it out,it worked for me, or ride to you local garage and ask him to blow it out with a compressor, put a sock over the end to catch it other wise it could end up in the next county Bar End Weights..... Help! 3213823784 .hope this helps,

Last edited by peter perfect on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bar End Weights..... Help!   Bar End Weights..... Help! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 8:10 pm

You don't unscrew the bolt Grob, you only have to give the bolt a turn or two to take the pressure of the rubber bung, then ease the bar end out ,electrical cable may do the job , twin & earth Bar End Weights..... Help! 184121345 .
Back to top Go down
scotland warrior
scotland warrior

PostSubject: Re: Bar End Weights..... Help!   Bar End Weights..... Help! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 8:26 pm

Peter use a hoover
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bar End Weights..... Help!   Bar End Weights..... Help! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 8:43 pm

Bar End Weights..... Help! 12-a4210

I may have misunderstood the original post ,is something stuck in there Grob or do you think there could be a piece missing, have you got all the parts, mine looks like this
Back to top Go down
ippikin
ippikin

PostSubject: Re: Bar End Weights..... Help!   Bar End Weights..... Help! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 9:10 pm

Thanks guys....... my mistake has been to unscrew the bolt and then remove it; thus leaving the rubber with nut inside the handlebar. I thought there was a fixed point inside the handlebars, welded in!

It's also good to know that I'm not the only one!

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Bar End Weights..... Help!   Bar End Weights..... Help! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 9:55 am

I have still got a piece in my handle bar rattling around, one day I will get it out Bar End Weights..... Help! 474255
Back to top Go down
ippikin
ippikin

PostSubject: Re: Bar End Weights..... Help!   Bar End Weights..... Help! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 2:39 pm

Sorted........ because I managed to get the bolt onto the nut (using a magnetic telescopic tool and a bit of stiff wire) I have got the bl**dy thing out. Now I see how they work and will not make the same mistake again!

Thanks again for all the good advice! Bar End Weights..... Help! 881924

And thanks Pete for the photo..... very helpful Bar End Weights..... Help! 3498837457
Back to top Go down
CycleBiker
CycleBiker

PostSubject: Re: Bar End Weights..... Help!   Bar End Weights..... Help! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 4:21 pm

I removed the bar end weights on my bike because of the tight fit in my garage next to my car and didn't notice any difference riding. I later sawed off 1" on each end of the bars for more clearance.
Back to top Go down
exile
exile

PostSubject: Re: Bar End Weights..... Help!   Bar End Weights..... Help! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 6:39 pm

CycleBiker wrote:
I removed the bar end weights on my bike because of the tight fit in my garage next to my car and didn't notice any difference riding. I later sawed off 1" on each end of the bars for more clearance.

Good idea mate ... and a lot cheaper than having the garage extended ... ! lol
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Bar End Weights..... Help!   Bar End Weights..... Help! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 7:04 pm

exile wrote:
Good idea mate ... and a lot cheaper than having the garage extended ... ! lol

Dam it! I new there must have been another way around that Bar End Weights..... Help! 453769 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Bar End Weights..... Help! 2740622253 Bar End Weights..... Help! 3213823784
Back to top Go down
Badger
Valued Member
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Bar End Weights..... Help!   Bar End Weights..... Help! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 9:18 pm

I love this site, because I am taking mine off soon, and I too would have unscrewed them all the way and had a wtf? moment.
I did actually saw my back door frame down to get my footboards through.
Well, I wasn't going to take the bike back!
Back to top Go down
CycleBiker
CycleBiker

PostSubject: Re: Bar End Weights..... Help!   Bar End Weights..... Help! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 9:25 pm

Badger wrote:
.....I did actually saw my back door frame down to get my footboards through.....

Now that deserves a pic posting!
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Bar End Weights..... Help!   Bar End Weights..... Help! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 9:27 pm

CycleBiker wrote:
Now that deserves a pic posting!
Yeah that would be funny photo Bar End Weights..... Help! 2740622253
Back to top Go down
exile
exile

PostSubject: Re: Bar End Weights..... Help!   Bar End Weights..... Help! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 3:24 pm

He will post a pic once they've rebuilt the back of his house !!!! Bar End Weights..... Help! 3213823784 Bar End Weights..... Help! 3213823784
Back to top Go down
Zedlizard
Prospect

PostSubject: Re: Bar End Weights..... Help!   Bar End Weights..... Help! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 2:40 am

Hey all.  I need some clarification.  I pulled the same maneuver.  I unscrewed and pulled out the bar-end, and when I look inside my handlebars I can see what looks like a metal washer.  It sounds like that's part of the expansion hardware inside the handlebars and you can push it through from the opposite side... is that right?  Or perhaps hook and pull it out from the same side?
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Bar End Weights..... Help!   Bar End Weights..... Help! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 4:11 pm

There should also be the nut that holds it in place.
Back to top Go down
Bugsy
Bugsy

PostSubject: Re: Bar End Weights..... Help!   Bar End Weights..... Help! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 4:39 pm

Everyone with a motorcycle has to do this once.

No one ever does it twice. Bar End Weights..... Help! 3005623951
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: Bar End Weights..... Help!   Bar End Weights..... Help! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 5:51 pm

You don't need to completely remove the screw ..... It's a compression fitting .... i.e - When you tighten it, it expands the rubber housing at the end of the weight assembly which then sits tight against the inside of the handlebar tube. Therefore you need only slacken the screw off and you will be able to remove the bar end by just moving it in a circular motion whilst pulling it out of the bar. The nut then stays on the thread and all the drama detailed above is avoided !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bar End Weights..... Help!   Bar End Weights..... Help! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bar End Weights..... Help!
Page 1 of 1