Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Helmet Vote

Go down 
+27
DaveC
ltdan48
Ian800
AmericanJambo
The Alien
Sanddancer
shadycowboy
Bunso Steel
Proudtexson
oiler
Mr Intruder
Lowey
captain crash
Bluesman
simbo
coffeescoffer
Twojobmick
fat intruder
stone
alfie92
'Bo'
wmatwijec
exile
miker
Spike
wad
pledge
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Would you ever ride on a public road even for a short distance without a helmet, if the law had not been changed?
YES
The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 I_vote_lcap46%The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 46% [ 29 ]
NO
The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 I_vote_lcap54%The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 54% [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 63

Back

AuthorMessage
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 12:16 pm

I have got some really good ideas, bear with me it goes on a bit. Lets all:

Wear helmets at all times whether riding a motorcycle, riding a pushbike or walking the dog as we could slip over at any time and bang our heads. Maybe we should have to wear them in the car as well. The problem with this though is that all our baseball caps and beenie hats would need to be bigger to fit over our helmets so we could still look cool

Wear hi-viz jackets at all times whether we are riding a bike or waliking the dog so that we can be seen by people that are not looking for us

I slipped over the other day whilst out and I was only wearing my trainers, my ankle had no protection so maybe we shaould all wear the type of boots that off road motorcyce riders wear because then we couldn't twist our ankles. The problem with that though is that we would stand more chance of twisting our knees, oh no forget this as it is heading towards being suspended in water with a fully armoured unmovable body suit on and then we could end up drowning. Bad bad idea that one

We should also maybe all wear gloves all the time as well because when our full body armoured suit that we are wearing that has probably been brought into force by the law makers to protect us from ourselves, to stop any twist and turns of joints on dodgy unrepaired pavements and we fall over, it would be a shame to get grazes on our hands when we put them out to help brake the fall wouldn't it.do

Aha that last one gives me an idea. Maybe we should go to the scrap yard and pull out all the airbags out of old cars and ask Alfie and Dave to some modifications in there sheds so that we don't need the full body armoured suits on and we could wear Alfie and Dave modified airbag suits with the suzuki800 logo on designed by Marcin.

Oh no this is not such a good idea as what happens if Alfie, Dave or Marcin get a headache whilst thinking about the required modification or design that not only protects us but also looks good and the headache tablets are in a child friendly tub that adults can't get into.

Oh no this is all starting to worry me to much now, so I will stop worrying about it in the full knoweledge that someone at the government will worry for me, so that they can justify there rediculous civil servant wages and pension that I have to pay for while struggling to get by on shit wages and eventually a shit state pension. Well thats if they don't keep moving the pension age away from me so that I never reach it so they can still retire at a much younger age than the guys that have really worked hard for a living while they have never had a blister in there whole lives. but hey thats ok and I should be greatful as after all, I am being protected from myself in all aspects of my life.
Back to top Go down
Lowey
Valued Member
Lowey

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 12:54 pm

Bet that feels better.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 1:34 pm

The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhsoNJxoOhNfhcjkWZgv_Row9CrAZ1nP2CB4jNKZPUHPZ3u5W0 The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 852880 The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 2740622253 The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 3213823784
Back to top Go down
oiler
Saint Oiler the 1st
oiler

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 7:36 pm

When I was a callow youth (don't know what it means, but youths are often called callow) In the days of my first bike (here we go again) which coincided with black & white tv and steam engines there was no obligation to wear a helmet, so I NEVER did. A few pals ended up in hospital, but in those days accidents seemed to only happen to other people. So I'd vote yes,or is it no, I've forgotten. Trouble is, I've tried to vote but it's beyond me. Bloody technology. Never had all this technology when I was a boy, in fact technology at my school meant woodwork. At least there was no EU to screw our lives up.
Back to top Go down
Proudtexson
VIP Member
Proudtexson

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 4:12 pm

Texas does not have a helmet law but it has a seat belt law. As a Conservative who believes in personal choice and personal responsibility,I think you should wear a helmet and wear a seat belt. But i also think that if i choose not to I have that choice and have to be willing to except the consequences if it turns out to be a bad decision. If I am going to ride on the Interstate I wear my helmet. if i am on a short trip to Walmart. I sometime do and some time don't. I live in the part of Texas where you can see as far as the horizon will allow. I can see the next town from me and it is 20 miles away. My town is a town of about 20 thousand. Midland and Odessa Texas is 40 and 60 miles away and our major shopping area. There isn't enough bad-ass's in Texas to put me on a Cycle in Midland/Odessa Texas without a helmet. I would wear steel armor if I had it. CARS should have Roll cages. I is terrible. Well that's my remark from Dave the ProudTexson
Back to top Go down
Bunso Steel
Valued Member
Bunso Steel

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 6:00 pm

Proudtexson wrote:
As a Conservative who believes in personal choice and personal responsibility, I think you should wear a helmet and wear a seat belt. But i also think that if i choose not to I have that choice and have to be willing to except the consequences if it turns out to be a bad decision.

I think thats really well put Dave
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 6:09 pm

Interesting to see the vote is split at nearly 50/50
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 7:57 pm

captain crash wrote:
Interesting to see the vote is split at nearly 50/50

Better than a head being split 50/50 affraid
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 6:21 am

Some bikers may see not wearing a helmet as dangerous as some car drivers see riding a motorcycle, so are we not moving the goalposts to suit ourselves or our own personal perspective?
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 7:36 pm

Some cars are perhaps safer than others - curtains, impact crush rating etc. At the other end of the scale, a pushbike is arguably the most dangerous form of road transport. Motorcycle with/without ABS? Traction control? I actually think the widest margin of safety on a motorcycle is the way we ride. If I rode without a helmet I'd probably ride very carefully and may in fact fare better than if I wore a lid and did not!

As aside here, I wonder if any members would drive a car without a safety belt if they were allowed? I drove for a while without one. When the law came in, the early belts were non-inertia and there were cases of people being seriously injured as a result. I don't remember being unduly worried driving without a belt as a young chap but then I was lucky I did not have a smash. I doubt I would feel secure at all beltless now except in car parks etc. Aren't some groups of professional drivers exempt from compulsory driving with safety belts?
Back to top Go down
Proudtexson
VIP Member
Proudtexson

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 3:31 pm

captain crash wrote:
I have got some really good ideas, bear with me it goes on a bit. Lets all:

Wear helmets at all times whether riding a motorcycle, riding a pushbike or walking the dog as we could slip over at any time and bang our heads. Maybe we should have to wear them in the car as well. The problem with this though is that all our baseball caps and beenie hats would need to be bigger to fit over our helmets so we could still look cool

Wear hi-viz jackets at all times whether we are riding a bike or waliking the dog so that we can be seen by people that are not looking for us

I slipped over the other day whilst out and I was only wearing my trainers, my ankle had no protection so maybe we shaould all wear the type of boots that off road motorcyce riders wear because then we couldn't twist our ankles. The problem with that though is that we would stand more chance of twisting our knees, oh no forget this as it is heading towards being suspended in water with a fully armoured unmovable body suit on and then we could end up drowning. Bad bad idea that one

We should also maybe all wear gloves all the time as well because when our full body armoured suit that we are wearing that has probably been brought into force by the law makers to protect us from ourselves, to stop any twist and turns of joints on dodgy unrepaired pavements and we fall over, it would be a shame to get grazes on our hands when we put them out to help brake the fall wouldn't it.do

Aha that last one gives me an idea. Maybe we should go to the scrap yard and pull out all the airbags out of old cars and ask Alfie and Dave to some modifications in there sheds so that we don't need the full body armoured suits on and we could wear Alfie and Dave modified airbag suits with the suzuki800 logo on designed by Marcin.

Oh no this is not such a good idea as what happens if Alfie, Dave or Marcin get a headache whilst thinking about the required modification or design that not only protects us but also looks good and the headache tablets are in a child friendly tub that adults can't get into.

Oh no this is all starting to worry me to much now, so I will stop worrying about it in the full knoweledge that someone at the government will worry for me, so that they can justify there rediculous civil servant wages and pension that I have to pay for while struggling to get by on shit wages and eventually a shit state pension. Well thats if they don't keep moving the pension age away from me so that I never reach it so they can still retire at a much younger age than the guys that have really worked hard for a living while they have never had a blister in there whole lives. but hey thats ok and I should be greatful as after all, I am being protected from myself in all aspects of my life.
We are getting that way in USA. We are being told what cars to drive. What food to eat, What kind of energy we will use,what Dr i can use, how much of the money I work for I am allowed to keep. Some time i wonder how I got to 72 years without the Gov. Well that enough RANT from this redneck Texan.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Dave we have so much rule making and legislation in this country, that even the harmless games that I and many generations before me played in the school yard have now been banned.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 5:16 pm

The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 2740622253And to top it all they have taken the bike sheds away.Everyone went in them for a smoke or experiment in one way or the other.(sad)
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 5:20 pm

Ahhh the bike sheds The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 2747638305 The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 1851553709 Good point Alfie.

Not all good tho, I remember the bullies hanging people from the underpants from the bike shed The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 852880
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 5:14 pm

Ha Ha the bike sheds, good times. I learnt a lot there. The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Proudtexson
VIP Member
Proudtexson

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 7:03 pm

Tex has another dumb ?. what is a bike shed.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 7:10 pm

It was just a shelter for putting pedal bikes, usually away from where teachers could see you. Thats why must school kids in the UK used to hang around there.

The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCn4dHN_-Ja5HKBu57ucYW4Ctg092L7F1BNY8gZH1GyqR_xtADqg
Back to top Go down
Proudtexson
VIP Member
Proudtexson

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 7:14 pm

captain crash wrote:
Dave we have so much rule making and legislation in this country, that even the harmless games that I and many generations before me played in the school yard have now been banned.
Captain the do gooders in USA are doing everything they can to destroy the National Football League. NFL.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 7:17 pm

Where is the fun in being wrapped up in cotton wool, no risk of pain often means no risk of fun.
Back to top Go down
shadycowboy
shadycowboy

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Id like the option to wear a skull cap style helmet
Back to top Go down
Sanddancer
Valued Member
Sanddancer

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 6:28 pm

Well, at least most of us on this site are in the right category of bike to at least help reduce the risk...

Type of Motorcycle
Deaths per 10,000 Registered Motorcycles..................

Cruiser

Touring

Sport

Supersport

Must admit, would have liked the option to wear helmet or not, but wouldn’t feel comfortable going any faster that say 30-40. Would probably feel vulnerable, just like I would driving my car now without the belt on.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 9:33 pm

Sanddancer wrote:

Type of Motorcycle

Cruiser

Touring

Sport

Supersport

Probably the unfortunate 5.7 on cruisers have a bloody good time beforehand!
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 10:51 pm

Sanddancer wrote:
Well, at least most of us on this site are in the right category of bike to at least help reduce the risk...

Type of Motorcycle

Cruiser

Touring

Sport

Supersport

Must admit, would have liked the option to wear helmet or not, but wouldn’t feel comfortable going any faster that say 30-40. Would probably feel vulnerable, just like I would driving my car now without the belt on.

I wonder what the age statistics are ?
Back to top Go down
Sanddancer
Valued Member
Sanddancer

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 12:17 am

Found this....is from USA, but probably similar in uk....(glad I'm getting on to be a sensible "old git")

(ED = emergency department)

The highest death and injury rates were among 20-24 year-olds, followed by 25-29 year-olds.
More than half of all nonfatal injuries treated in EDs were to the leg/foot (30%) or head/neck (22%).
Motorcyclist death rates increased 55% from 2001 to 2008 (1.12 per 100,000 persons in 2001 to 1.74 per 100,000 persons in 2008).
The number of nonfatal motorcyclist injuries that were treated in EDs also increased, from nearly 120,000 injuries in 2001 to about 175,000 in 2008.
With more people in the United States riding motorcycles today than ever before, motorcyclist deaths and injuries are an important public health concern.

Think I"ll keep my helmet on. The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 973941
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 8:30 am

There are various routes to a coffin. Some are more predictable than others. However, for many, enjoyment has to be dialed into the equation.
Back to top Go down
Sanddancer
Valued Member
Sanddancer

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 8:56 am

Wise words- I would never change..one of the best days in my life when I heard the words "Congratulations Mr Clark, I'm pleased to inform you that you have passed"
The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 586905
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
AmericanJambo
AmericanJambo

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 4:27 pm

We don't have helmet laws in my state. I NEVER wear a helmet in state. Hate them. When I go out of state I have an ultralight lowprofile half height novelty helmet that looks like a real helmet but isn't. I just slapped a DOT sticker on the back and the cops leave me alone.

The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 41svan10

The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 41axaw10
Back to top Go down
Ian800
Valued Member
Ian800

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 4:36 pm

I would wear a helmet whether I had too or not.  In my time on the roads I've seen way to many accidents to take an unnecessary risk.  It's just too easy to sustain life threatening head injuries from a minor accident and a helmet goes a long way to mitigate that risk.  I'm even a little nervous about wearing my open face helmet even though I prefer it in the summer to my full face helmet.
Back to top Go down
ltdan48
ltdan48

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 7:20 pm

When I lived in Florida, there was no helmet law. Majority of the time I still wore my helmet. If I drove on base, then I had to wear my helmet, boots, long sleeves (reflective at night), and gloves. However there were times that I did not wear my helmet, but I was conscious of that and didn't do stupid shite. I moved to California (not my choice) and they say I have to wear a helmet no matter what. I could see if I could potentially harm someone else by not wearing a helmet, but the only person that it affects is the person that decided to not wear a helmet, ME!
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 7:56 pm

The choice would be nice, Especially on hot days like today, I'd still only do short trips without one though.
Back to top Go down
Ian800
Valued Member
Ian800

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 8:02 pm

I'd take issue with that last point Dan. You're right in as much as you are the only person physically affected. However, we all have family or friends that would be affected and what about the medics and police who have to deal with the mess of our making. I'm all in favour of free choice in these matters and defend your right to have the choice but please don't reduce this to an argument that you are the only person it affects. You are a firefighter from what I see of your profile. You and your colleagues no doubt have to deal with the consequences of other people's poor decisions. I have no doubt you have seen firsthand the affects such situations have had on your colleagues. The helmet thing has the same consequences for others and probably even your colleagues. You would not be the only victim if you came a cropper as a result of not wearing a helmet
Back to top Go down
ltdan48
ltdan48

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 8:11 pm

You bring up a very good point Ian. Physically, it's only the rider affected, but if something were to happen then yes, it does take a mental and physical toll on friends, family, responders, among others.
I have seen helmets save lives on numerous motorcycle accidents, and seen people that could've possibly lived had they worn a helmet. While certainly not all the time, most of the people that I've come across that have had fatal accidents not wearing a helmet were doing something idiotic (150mph+ wearing just shorts, tank top, and flip flops).
My main issue is that the choice of what we do with our lives in supposed free countries is taken away from us. Is it good practice to wear helmets, use seatbelts, drive cars with airbags, etc? Of course. But it should be our decision. Heck, I've yet to drive a single fire truck with air bags in my 10 years of driving them...
Back to top Go down
Two-Bears
* VZ Guru *
Two-Bears

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 3:40 am

Hi Paul,
very interesting statistics, can you tell me ware you got them from i`d like to read more.
 Type of Motorcycle

Cruiser

Touring

Sport

Supersport
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Not sure about how or where those figures came from but it does seem to make some sense. Most cruiser riders seem to have a very relaxed riding style and are never in much of a rush. So in turn would take less risks and see the idiots well before the idiots don't see them.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 4:48 pm

I was just looking at my open face helmet which is for 9 months at least of the year my chosen helmet. The condition of this got me thinking about what has always been my stance on our UK enforced helmet laws that have been in-place since the 1970's.
After my recent Accident in which I very nearly died and suffered many other injuries including some major damage to the head I now think the following: If I now had a choice as to not wearing one I would have no different opinion to what had always been my opinion. I would happily then & still now wear a helmet on certain roads and at above certain speeds but would opt out at low speeds such as popping to my local shop. However if I was actually given the choice I may end up with a more relaxed attitude after a time & I respect that possibility. Although I am one that would for some of the time not wear one, thanks to the enforced helmet laws I am still able to write this here.
So with retrospect I know that the Law that I have always slightly disagreed with and still have a slight disagreement with has saved my life and saved the misery that would have been forced on my family. With this in mind I know that I would at least for some of the time still not wear one and give thanks that this Law is enforced and that the choice is not mine.
Back to top Go down
Proudtexson
VIP Member
Proudtexson

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 6:43 pm

Well said Dave. We don't have helmet law. In the past I was the same way. Local I might not wear one. I have to say since your accident I always wear one now.
 I have a marker where my first wife is buried. it has my name on it. also has my beginning date. I am in no hurry to add the ending date. The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 852880

Last edited by Proudtexson on Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 6:45 pm

The very last part of your post Dave says to me that you would still not wear a helmet if the choice was yours and that you are glad the choice is not yours, is that correct?
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 6:51 pm

Yes Crash, that is correct. The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 3498837457  
I am only Human and at times know I am doing something wrong but still do it anyway. The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 437349
Good thinking Tex, we would hate for there to be an end date. The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 65147
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 7:09 pm

Tex, my wife has just read this thread as I left the laptop on the sofa while I went in another room & when I came back in the room she was crossing herself and doing other Catholic things. She is so very pleased that one other person has for the time being given there own mortality & health a second thought. The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 65147
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 7:18 pm

Interesting stuff, Even though I'm of the same mindset as Mr I with regards to wearing a helmet on short trips to the shop say, It's for my own safety that these laws have been put into place and one I uphold every time I ride the bike, I wonder what the fatality rate above would look like if it wasn't compulsory?
Back to top Go down
Proudtexson
VIP Member
Proudtexson

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 7:20 pm

Dave tell her Thanks. Like I saw  in another thread a few minutes ago. You never get to old to learn.  The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 65147
Back to top Go down
Proudtexson
VIP Member
Proudtexson

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 7:28 pm

There have been 5 killed in the last couple on months in my area. Every one of them did not have a helmet on. All were major crashes where they were just plain ran over or left turns suddenly.  Never know how many would have made it with a helmet.
Back to top Go down
DaveC
DaveC

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 7:34 pm

I always wore a helmet in the early days even when we had a choice.
I'm also a road cyclist, in which case we have a choice, but I prefer to wear one, I fully understand that people like the right to choose, and there are pages and pages on the cycling forums about the subject, 
But sometimes we need saving from ourselves.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 7:39 pm

If it was not compulsory the death rate would be terrible, as only one single death is to many. How ever sad that would undoubtedly be for the biker it would be much sadder for the families left behind. However additional consideration must be given to the ex-bikers that we would be living with irreversible brain damage. I have seen men that have suffered various degrees of brain damage whilst going through my treatment & recovery that are horribly affected after crashes & what I think while attending these places is "there by the grace of god go I".
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 7:42 pm

Like Tex, your accident Dave has had an effect on me too, no doubt others on here as well. The very next day after we heard I put the pads back in my jacket that I had just taken out. Shouldn't make a difference - but it does when it's someone close. Bug or stone hit hard when I had my full face helmet on yesterday. I usually wear the open on the cruiser but went on the M4 so got my chin covered. I think that might have hurt with just my thin neck tube. Still prefer the cool look mind 8) .
Back to top Go down
Proudtexson
VIP Member
Proudtexson

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 9:00 pm

I am of the opinion we have had enough about dying. Lets live some  The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 1218875559  I will still wear my helmet. I am old but i ain't that old yet  The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 256401
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 9:30 pm

I agree with you Tex, your as young/old as you feel, so I am planning on being 18 for ever. Well maybe 18 with a few aches and pains & the odd prescription. The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 855947 The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 636111    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 852880
Back to top Go down
Proudtexson
VIP Member
Proudtexson

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 9:42 pm

Oh Man Dave!  You had to say that. As old as you feel.  Reminds me of a Dixie Chick song. There's your Problem   The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 2740622253
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 9:58 pm

Ha Ha just spotted them in the music thread The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 210272711 
Back on the thread stuff helmets are flippin orrible to wear at times but I can see the benefits, so so be it The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Helmet Vote    The Helmet Vote  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Helmet Vote
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next