Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800

Go down 
+4
alfie92
Mr Intruder
DrewMechen
Bluesman
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Empty
PostSubject: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 8:20 pm

Have been looking at these car exhaust trims for a while now and today decided to buy a couple.Spares World Have wanted to reduce the raspy tone of the exhaust note to more of a rumble and stop the rear frame getting blackened by the carbon for a while now. These trims fit tightly into the end of my HH Short Cuts and direct the sound and gas outwards rather than backwards. The extra length/direction has changed the tone to my ears. It was a fluke that the inside of my pipes were exactly the size of the external measurements of the extensions! I had to saw off a bit of the top extension to hide the screw holes (which unfortunately were on the outside - the holes are now hidden inside the pipes.) With a real good twist I can get them in and they don't come out without some wrenching! . I rode 20 miles with them today - so far so good although I may investigate securing them in some way. I may also make some quiet removable baffles to fit inside for 'early morning departures'. I quite like the lines of the pipe with extensions - but that may change as with most of my mods! I have thought of wrapping the whole pipe to hide the join but not sure whether the extra heat would be harmful. Anyway here's a few pics of what I'm riding around on at the moment.

Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 DSCN20202

Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 DSCN20292

Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 DSCN20362

Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 DSCN20402
Back to top Go down
DrewMechen
DrewMechen

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 8:29 pm

mate they look good, have you thought about putting a string round them? That way you will be able to pull on it and ruduce the length, rev up again and out they slide....it will be like a gnarly trombone :-)
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 8:32 pm

They looks bloody great Blues Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 276246
They look like they are meant to be like that, with or without the join.
Another one off Bluesman exhaust mod, your bloody obsessed Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 852880
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 8:47 pm

DrewMechen wrote:
mate they look good, have you thought about putting a string round them? That way you will be able to pull on it and ruduce the length, rev up again and out they slide....it will be like a gnarly trombone :-)

Ah now that be real yokel Dorzet thinkin - lived in Wiltshire for 20 years and heard ther wuz zum unusual folk across the border over Blandford way!

lol!
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 8:55 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
They looks bloody great Blues Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 276246
They look like they are meant to be like that, with or without the join.
Another one off Bluesman exhaust mod, your bloody obsessed Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 852880

Cheers mate - when tell Mrs.B I'm off to the garage to make a few exhaust adjustments, she gives me that 'bloody idiot' nod of approval

Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 1249461214 Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 2740622253
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 9:46 pm

Sound looking mod John,I would not worry about the join look like they belong there.You could secure from the back with grub screws(self tappers) if you are worried about them blowing off.An easy job with the back wheel off.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 9:57 pm

alfie92 wrote:
Sound looking mod John,I would not worry about the join look like they belong there.You could secure from the back with grub screws(self tappers) if you are worried about them blowing off.An easy job with the back wheel off.

Yeah that's what I thought - self tappers - might give that a go sometime.
Back to top Go down
pledge
Valued Member
pledge

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 8:23 am

I agree with Alfie92 they look great and you will soon forget the join, very clever idea.Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 2170595768
Back to top Go down
Bunso Steel
Valued Member
Bunso Steel

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 9:13 am

I think they look smart. Do you think it sounds better or worse with the turn outs? From the riders ear?
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 5:51 pm

Bunso Steel wrote:
I think they look smart. Do you think it sounds better or worse with the turn outs? From the riders ear?

Rode again today. Def more rumbly and less raspy. The tick over seems lower and when I take the revs up it is not so high pitched. I am happier from the rider's point of view. As the extensions have 'blackened up' inside, the sound has got less hollow. There seems to be a bit more torque - maybe because the back pressure has increased with a 'bend' in the new bit. They are still loud. I took the stove rope off the baffles today which makes it very loud. I may have to replace that but they do sound great. I really gave it some today including a 10 mile motorway blast - the extensions were firmly inplace when I got back so I have no plans to screw down yet. Will do a before and after video sometime.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 5:54 pm

pledge wrote:
I agree with Alfie92 they look great and you will soon forget the join, very clever idea.Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 2170595768

To tell you the truth Pledge, they fitted so snugly, I think it looks as if they were made that way!
Back to top Go down
DrewMechen
DrewMechen

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 8:25 pm

Blues', chatting to Jon at Metric Cruisers today and he is very interested in knowing what type of caps you have put on, make and mod. i said i would get back to him with an answer....soooooo?

D
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 8:51 pm

DrewMechen wrote:
Blues', chatting to Jon at Metric Cruisers today and he is very interested in knowing what type of caps you have put on, make and mod. i said i would get back to him with an answer....soooooo?

D

http://www.sparesworld.co.uk/acatalog/54mm_Curved_Exhaust_Trim.html

Fit inside ends - snugly with baffles in place - needs a bit cut off the top one as the baffle is not so far in and does not hide the hole - discard screwsHighway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 3498837457
Back to top Go down
DrewMechen
DrewMechen

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 8:54 pm

Thank you Sir, i'll pass it on.

D
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 3:38 pm

You really do have an engineer type of mind Blues very clever indeed they look great & the good thing is that nobody is going to pull up next to you with the same exhaust

Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 276246 Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 2170595768 Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 881924
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 9:49 pm

Macca had a dream many years ago and heard 'Yesterday' - when he woke up he wrote the song down and the rest is history! I'm not quite as clever as that but I did wake up this morning with turndown pipes that I saw on my bike sometime in the small hours so I went to the garage, cut a couple of inches off the bottom end-piece, refitted both, now facing the floor and just like my dream - turndown pipes - well 'sort of' No difference in tone but it keeps me amused anyway!

Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 DSCN20482
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 9:59 pm

Looking good blues, although I would rather see a straight line from one pipe to the other at that angle, then they would look real sweet
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 10:05 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
Looking good blues, although I would rather see a straight line from one pipe to the other at that angle, then they would look real sweet

Yep - I'll get the hack saw out again. Won't be much left soon!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi Blues,

I liked them as they were when they turned out but for ÂŁ6.49 each you can afford to have several sets cut and modded to suit the mood your in on any given day Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 3999423852 I might invest in a set just to hear the sound with a bit of extra length "oo er Mrs" :shock:
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 10:55 pm

Dozers-Dad wrote:
Hi Blues,

I liked them as they were when they turned out but for ÂŁ6.49 each you can afford to have several sets cut and modded to suit the mood your in on any given day Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 3999423852 I might invest in a set just to hear the sound with a bit of extra length "oo er Mrs" :shock:

That's me - never know when to stop! Another set.............hmmmm, that's an idea!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 6:01 pm

Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 523039737 great mod blues,will deffo be investing in a couple of slash cut's for my animal Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 2170595768 .
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 9:17 pm

As there has been some interest in this mod (thanks for the input), here is an update:

Decided I too preferred the slash cuts turned out. Have cut down the length a bit mainly to reduce the resonance which was annoying me! This also removes the bolt hump ( I never wanted to drill the HH pipes to fix in anyway) to give a nice fit. I have adjusted the lengths to give the staggered angle I liked best. Fixing was by way of a liberal squirt of HT silicone - they are quite secure but can be removed with a good twist or two. The silicone reduces vibration and seems to absorb a bit of echo inside. The sound is probably best without the extensions but they look nice and prevent the frame from getting sooty. I have a had a lot of compliments from guys looking at them, most being surprised when I told them they were not part of the pipes. As mentioned above, at that price you can mess about with them. I'm running with baffles in - I thought prehaps I was attracting too much attention with them out (nice though!)

Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 DSCN2137-1

Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 DSCN2136-1

Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Untitledcopy-1

Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 9:56 pm

Very good job Blues, I prefer the turned out look as well & at the price of the extensions you really can afford a little trial and error and to start over Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 276246
Back to top Go down
pledge
Valued Member
pledge

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 10:05 pm

They look great turned out like that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 11:54 pm

Now your talking Blues.... They look the Dogs dangly bits like that! Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 2170595768
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 8:13 am

Must agree, look really good facing out Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 1710857839
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 10:38 pm

Got my new pipes today John, but its to cold to be working in the garage Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 474255 , but i have polished them once or twice already Laughing ( how sad am i ).

Ive also ordered the extensions, and after inspecting the H/H pipes I'm thinking when Ive decide on the angle i want them,i might drill and get a small bolt tacked to the inside of the extension and use the hole pre-drilled in the H/H's that secures the baffle,to bolt them together ,what do you think, (did that make sense ????). like Dave i like the idea of a straight line following the slash line,i think running parallel with the angle of the swing arm as you show in your img :a060 ,i hope shortening the bottom extension should do the trick . (apologies if I'm woffling ) .

hat off to you john Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 3005623951 ...a great mod...im already thinking about buying a couple of pairs,so i can change the look of my bike depending on my mood our ridding style on any given day Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 1218875559 .Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 881924
Back to top Go down
icetechaus
Valued Member
icetechaus

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 6:57 am

Nah Bluesman I prefer the turndown look with the bottom on cut but to give you a single line.

Love your ingenouity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 10:12 am

I think we agree Icetachaus,,,as pictured in img:a060 Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 184121345 .

A great mod John that has a lot of interest,and yet no two will be exactly the same Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 276246 .
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 5:31 pm

peter perfect wrote:
Got my new pipes today John, but its to cold to be working in the garage Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 474255 , but i have polished them once or twice already Laughing ( how sad am i ).

Ive also ordered the extensions, and after inspecting the H/H pipes I'm thinking when Ive decide on the angle i want them,i might drill and get a small bolt tacked to the inside of the extension and use the hole pre-drilled in the H/H's that secures the baffle,to bolt them together ,what do you think, (did that make sense ????). like Dave i like the idea of a straight line following the slash line,i think running parallel with the angle of the swing arm as you show in your img :a060 ,i hope shortening the bottom extension should do the trick . (apologies if I'm woffling ) .

hat off to you john Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 3005623951 ...a great mod...im already thinking about buying a couple of pairs,so i can change the look of my bike depending on my mood our ridding style on any given day Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 1218875559 .Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 881924

Great news you got them! No amount of pipe action is sad - it's a necessity (I should know!!) Good thinking to secure the extensions - I will be interested how you do that as I could not think of a way when using the baffle as well except by using a self tapper. Mine are secured quite firmly with the silicone but of course cannot be taken in and out easily. I have done quite few miles now and am really liking the sound - as the extensions have become lined with carbon the note has changed from a hollow one to a slightly firmer tone, if that makes sense. Looking forward to hearing how you get on. Now, don't be put off by the cold, you are a biker damn it ........ get those buggers on lol!
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 1:12 am

Update. Well....there aint much left now!! Have ridden a lot on these and still finding the sound more echoey than without extensions in at all. In addition the chrome has turned out to be crappier than expected and tarnished to a yellowy colour and just does not match the HH pipes IMO, soooo...........I decided to make them into just short tips to get the sound more like the original HH's but still maintaining the out turn to keep carbon off the frame. Finally I decided to go for black tips not to worry about tarnishing - sprayed then with HT paint.

Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Photo-0008

They sound just like the originals which I prefer - still taking taking the harsh tone away from my ears and fumes away from the bike. A lot shorter than the original but the colour change was starting to make them look a bit naff. I kinda like the tips. If I eventually decide to ditch them entirely....well the whole exercise cost peanuts so I'm ok with that! 8) Perhaps my chrome was a bit substandard (one worse than the other) or maybe I used too much Autosol to remove the tarnish so they may be fine on other bikes.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 9:50 am

Just an idea Mr Blues Sir but I reckon they would look really good if you bought another set and sprayed them black from the off and put them back in how you had them in this pic

Then maybe smeared a thin layer of black silicon inside them to give a more thuddy sound
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 10:23 am

captain crash wrote:
Just an idea Mr Blues Sir but I reckon they would look really good if you bought another set and sprayed them black from the off and put them back in how you had them in this pic

Then maybe smeared a thin layer of black silicon inside them to give a more thuddy sound

You may be on to something there. I like the black but not the resonance so a different lining may change the acoustics....hmmmm!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800   Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Highway Hawk Short Cut Pipe - Extensions C800
Page 1 of 1